Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

My only contribution to this discussion is that I have to believe that this decision was not based on the DCI position of the corps, but other business related issues. Again, I don't know-only speculation like everyone else here!!

One thing I do know is that moving backwards is not usually a very good idea! Please excuse any offense derived from those words, because I'm not trying to label anyone past or present. The bottom line is dedication, communication, innovation, sound business knowledge, planning & implementation are primary keys to any organization's success... Whoever steers the Scouts ship next, I hope, will possess those attributes!!!

Whoever that person is needs to know how to establish a budget and stick to it. After all, what's wrong with getting more than your monies worth? Increase the efficiency of the group and decrease the member's dues... I'm sure the members wouldn't mind that either... Also, move the corps back to Madison-Sun Prairie is a nice city, but it's not Madison!

Oops, back to work... almost beer time! :mmm:

Pearsony

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is alum Nick Williams ready for a director's job yet?

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice lol :P

I'll say this, and it's all I'll say on the situation out of respect for all involved...including the new director. I bleed green...absolutely bleed it. And that's why, even though I marched under Scott, when Bob Wall was selected (*ahem*) and then Sal, I stood behind both of those men as well. I don't toe the same line that a lot of those who I marched with choose to. I'm an alum of the Madison Scouts...not an alum of Scott Stewart...and that means that I support the corps in whatever direction they choose to go..even if I don't always agree. Don't get me wrong, I love Scott as much as anyone does, and if the board chose to re-install him as corps director, then I'd support him 100% as well. As was stated previously, if anyone is a Madison Scouts, he is. And perhaps with 4 years away from the activity full-time, he would have a renewed vigor for seeing the corps as champs again...and that would never be a bad thing, IMO. I trust those in positions to be doing what is BEST for the corps that I love more than anything. I wasn't "in love" with the last two shows the Scouts did, however I didnt really let anyone know it. I try to temper my remarks now to not be as emotional...which is definately hard when you feel as passionately as I do. I've said things in the past, no doubt, that were based purely out of emotion that were probably taken the wrong way. But as I thank Sal for what he did for this corps, I stand ready to support whoever takes over in his stead.

Looking forward to a new page in the Madison saga,

-J

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice lol :P

I'll say this, and it's all I'll say on the situation out of respect for all involved...including the new director. I bleed green...absolutely bleed it. And that's why, even though I marched under Scott, when Bob Wall was selected (*ahem*) and then Sal, I stood behind both of those men as well. I don't toe the same line that a lot of those who I marched with choose to. I'm an alum of the Madison Scouts...not an alum of Scott Stewart...and that means that I support the corps in whatever direction they choose to go..even if I don't always agree. Don't get me wrong, I love Scott as much as anyone does, and if the board chose to re-install him as corps director, then I'd support him 100% as well. As was stated previously, if anyone is a Madison Scouts, he is. And perhaps with 4 years away from the activity full-time, he would have a renewed vigor for seeing the corps as champs again...and that would never be a bad thing, IMO. I trust those in positions to be doing what is BEST for the corps that I love more than anything. I wasn't "in love" with the last two shows the Scouts did, however I didnt really let anyone know it. I try to temper my remarks now to not be as emotional...which is definately hard when you feel as passionately as I do. I've said things in the past, no doubt, that were based purely out of emotion that were probably taken the wrong way. But as I thank Sal for what he did for this corps, I stand ready to support whoever takes over in his stead.

Looking forward to a new page in the Madison saga,

-J

:worthy: Very well said. Of course, I marched '03, Salas' first year with the corps, and that was it... So of course I heard stories of Scott, but never even met the man... However, I will always support the corps, no matter what direction they go (until they start marching woodwinds, that is :P )... also, wasn't Stewart involved in a consultation-type role with Pioneer since he left Madison?

I would never do that to a scout. The would have been just a little bit rude & uncalled for dontcha think???

The kids in the corps are not at fault for the direction the staff took the corps.

maybe not, but the thing that most disappoints me as an alum as well is how these guys feel completely abandoned by their "older brothers"...especially the mid-90's guys. I felt so ashamed of myself when I found this out...these guys would KILL to have some of their "heroes" come around, but...instead...when I talk to some of those same alums, they do nothing but trash the corps. I guess I mis-understood when I was told that the "brotherhood" meant that you supported your brothers. You don't have to be happy with how things are done...or who's in what position...but just be there for these guys. They've been through a rough 6-7 years...

basically, I'll propose this....if the tradition isn't there...if they don't have their identity....then who's fault is that really??

:worthy:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Completely abandoned their traditions? As an alumnus, I have to believe you've talked with members of the current Scouts. How can you make this statement?

Did you see this years show? No Scout tradition or sound whatsoever.

:worthy: Very well said. Of course, I marched '03, Salas' first year with the corps, and that was it... So of course I heard stories of Scott, but never even met the man... However, I will always support the corps, no matter what direction they go (until they start marching woodwinds, that is :P )... also, wasn't Stewart involved in a consultation-type role with Pioneer since he left Madison?

yep...and he also helped with the alumni corps this summer....which was AMAZING, by the way!!!

Id have to disagree with you and point out that sometimes new traditions are created.

It does stink that this is going on in the Scouts. But instead of why the BoD made this decision, lets talk about who we think the new director will be. Sure, as a fan, I liked what the scouts did in the past 4 seasons, but i an not an alum nor am I in the know. But Sal did a tremndous job in the 4 years he was there.

Will there be a current serving corps director leaving their current organization to run the Scouts? Who knows, but I will be on the edge of my seat anticipating the announcement

Pat Seidling

^0^

While the sound has changed, yes, I think that a lot can be attributed to the fact that the audience coming out to shows is changing... From an internal perspective, I believe that first and foremost for all Scouts for all time will be to entertain the crowd... As the audience changes and music in general continues to change, the music needed in order to really reach the audience is going to have to change as well... Are audience reactions in the last few years the same as they were in drum corps' "glory days?" I would say definitely not... The changing of the activity of those glory days to its almost elitist status now, less than 200 corps, has brought about, I believe, a huge change in the audience... So I think that while tradition is, at its root a constant, it does change, and HAS to change (hopefully slowly and subtely) in order to retain the familiarity across ALL generations, not just that of its origin...

The name alone, "The Madison Scouts" carries the tradition with it, and I can guarantee you, the Scouts out on the field marching the show, whether it be a "Drum Corps Fan's Dream: Pt. 3" or another show using music Scouts have never played before, feel as much a part of all Scouts who have been before them and will come after them as any other Scout who has ever marched...