Here's To All You Imbeciles

Jeff -

You had me second guessing myself so I went looking for the videos -

1996 was the Mechanicsburg version, at least the plane and the jumping scenes, followed by WCU in 1997. I just found the videos last night. WCU then did a "Steel" thing show in 98 that was another mess. About 50% of the band left after the 98 season. ___________ wrote the drill both of those years. The staff used to judge the success of those performances by the number of injuries. 10 and below was considered a good performance.

I had to dig to find the stuff -

I rmember the Burg. i competed against it. I dont really remember WCu's version except to say it was different, just on size alone. and Burg did a great job with it. sorry you're not a fan of that persons drills, i have marched a few and taught a few and i think they do a great job.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really on-topic, but whatever you thought of the voice, were the visual and thematic elements that much weirder than other stuff we've seen over the years? Anyone else remember the 1988 Suncoast Sound? How about some of the more outlandish stuff that VK and even Star of Indiana (1987, anyone?) did over the years? How about the Sky Ryder's "fire escape" when they did West Side Story? Granted, most of my examples are nearly 20 years old, but my point is that most of the weirdness in Cadets '06 isn't so new or so far out that it ought to shock anyone.

FWIW, I really liked their show this summer, tho I'd have been much happier if they'd lost the vocals.

I wasn't talking directly about the door or the planks or the four characters alone. I just thought their was an over abundance of stuff that completely detracted my attention from the fact this was a drum corp show. I was in shock at the end because I felt I hadn't really seen their performance. All I could remember was the four characters running around the field and the vocals that annoyed me. That made me sad because I felt these kids have worked all season and because of show design I didn't really get to see their performances. To me, it was almost as if the show design wasn't really centered around the kids that were there to actually perform in a drum corp. It was instead for a staff that wanted to push the envelope and see how far they could get with it. I am good with innovation when it doesn't come at a cost of the kids being pushed into the background. This activity should be about the kids and not the staff or designer's wish to reinvent the activity. Of course, this is only my opinion. Maybe others see this activity differently.

I wasn't talking directly about the door or the planks or the four characters alone. I just thought their was an over abundance of stuff that completely detracted my attention from the fact this was a drum corp show. I was in shock at the end because I felt I hadn't really seen their performance. All I could remember was the four characters running around the field and the vocals that annoyed me. That made me sad because I felt these kids have worked all season and because of show design I didn't really get to see their performances. To me, it was almost as if the show design wasn't really centered around the kids that were there to actually perform in a drum corp. It was instead for a staff that wanted to push the envelope and see how far they could get with it. I am good with innovation when it doesn't come at a cost of the kids being pushed into the background. This activity should be about the kids and not the staff or designer's wish to reinvent the activity. Of course, this is only my opinion. Maybe others see this activity differently.

The show was performesd by the members...I never got the feeling you did. Different strokes, I guess. Personally, I would have LOVED to perform a show like that...but I also would have loved to perform a more straight-ahead show like Crown's. Both shows were, IMO, great examples of 2006 drum corps.

"I find your comment more sickening then anyone who did not give the Cadets a standing ovation. I for one felt very sorry for the kids who worked their tails off in the Cadets this year. I was so taken aback by the end of their show I was almost in shock. It was hard for me to see or hear the amazing things the talented performers (such as the horn players, the guard, and the percusion) were doing amongst all the muck of the extra. I had a hard time focusing on the true performers in the midst of a mis-placed vocalist and odd and strange visual elements. It seemed to me the design detracted attention from the performers who truly deserved it. I found elements to like, but did not love the show. I wish the kids the best and hope that the show next year showcases the true talent and not annoying fluff."

~corpsmom~

Couldn't have put that better myself. :music:

Only saw Cadets at a pre-season exhibition and the characters were not yet in the show. But the tables were and (IMO) kept the corps from the center of the field during that part of the show. To me it looked like the important thing was the flippin' tables being in the center stage and the corps had to stay out of the tables way.

Overheard as the horn line carried the tables to the field that afternoon: "I paid big bucks to the Cadets so I could be a ###### furniture mover".

Interesting topic...I was kind of confused by why a lot of people we calling the person who posted on Hop's Blog "ignorant." It bothered me because the word was always used in a way to show he was the rude person. Ignorant means unknowing or uneducated in that subject. So, this person MAY in fact be ignorant on the status of Drum Corps and he might be rude and caustic, but actually all who used the word incorrectly was just as ignorant as the author of such a post. I don't mean to sound snobby, but that is just a BIG error that gets me a little upset. Interesting views on the Cadets show. I personally loved it and I have been called many names for thinking this was a great show. It still is provoking large discussions...so good for HOP!

but actually all who used the word incorrectly was just as ignorant as the author of such a post.

"WERE" just as ignorant..........

edited for idiocy

Edited by Storkysr

"WHERE" just as ignorant..........

I believe you meant "were". B)

The answer "are" would also be acceptable, depending on context.

"WERE" just as ignorant..........

edited for idiocy

That made me laugh out loud. I suppose when someone decides they're going to chastise a group of people for misusing a word, it might be wise for them to carefully proof their post and check for grammatical errors. b**bs

Yes. I knew better. Those dam 60's.