Whats up with the Madison Scouts Board of Directors?

Their BoD used to publicly post their meeting minutes online. Something I truely enjoyed reading and learned a lot about a drum corps from.

Edited by bari_benzo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belive it or not, the Board of Directors of any corps serve a vital role in the contiuance of a corps.

* They usually serve 3-5 years, thereby preserving a little institutional memory. Many young corps with no Board of Directors have little institutional history, as people move in and out quite frequently. This is more so the way with staff.

* In most cases, the BoD are the ones who have donated a great deal of volunteer time, perhaps marched with the corps, and do not want to see the corps falter.

* Because they are usually unpaid, they have no financial holding to the corps; they can make sound decisions for the betterment of the corps without worrying about their own personal financial status.

* The treasurer is the one who deals with the finances of the corps. The primary financial role of most BoD members should be to study and vote on line item in budgets in budget meetings, develop more effective ways to raise funds, develop better ways to lower/keep the price of corps tutition, find grants and donations, bring about better public relations, volunteer themselves and find more fresh bodies for the corps, and help keep the essential traditions of the corps in place. There are more than this, however, the role of any Board should never be one of design or teaching; if thats the case, why then have a design and instructional staff?

* In most cases, if a managment, instructional, or design team personnel issue/question has come to the forefront, it is only after lengthy issues with an individual, or in rarer cases, a handful of people in the design/instructional/management staff, has been seen as detrimental to the corps. It is not an easy thing for a BoD member to move to let someone go. If you have never had to fire somebody from their employment (and in most cases, these staff have other professions, reputations, and most importantly, families to worry about), then you would not begin to understand how hard it could be to be on the BoD.

* In the case of Mr. Salas, I am certain this is not an easy issue for their BoD.

* In the case of Mr. Seidling, I am certain this is not an easy issue for their BoD.

* In the case of Mr. Bays, I am certain this is not an easy issue for their BoD.

***** Each of the above mentioned directors have done outstanding jobs. Now, I ask you: if you were standing in front of each one of these directors, with their family and children beside them, could you so easily say the things directly to them as you do on this anonymous forum?

Each of these Directors loves drum corps. Each of these directors want only the best for their corps; they all want their corps to be the best corps in its history! Believe it or not, most corps directors do not get paid what they are worth or for what they work (unless we are talking about Marion Cadets, but that is a different story).

The relationship between BoD and Director/staff is a critical and difficult one. Each begets a certain accountability. Although Bill Cook would disagree (then again, he was capable as serving as his own BoD), the role of the BoD in modern drum corps helps bring good leadership, differing points of view, different backgrounds, and sound business principles to the corps; not for the egos of a handful but for the betterment and continuance of the corps.

If you have any questions about this, and I am very passionate about this, please feel free to PM me.

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

I think they should have given him more time. When did he become director? 2003? That's not really much time for a turnaround.

A "turnaround" from what? A “tournaround” from the fan-friendly, thrilling shows and financial stability offered under the leadership of Scott Stewart? I am hoping for a return to those years. I doubt seriously that I am the only fan who stopped contributing to the Scouts after Scott left. With a return to shows that appeal to Scouts fans, I will bet the financial health of the Scouts will also improve. I note that most of the people who post on this forum who claim to be so enthralled by the Scouts' shows during the past few years are actually long-standing fans of other corps.

Vic Russell

A "turnaround" from what? A “tournaround” from the fan-friendly, thrilling shows and financial stability offered under the leadership of Scott Stewart? I am hoping for a return to those years. I doubt seriously that I am the only fan who stopped contributing to the Scouts after Scott left. With a return to shows that appeal to Scouts fans, I will bet the financial health of the Scouts will also improve. I note that most of the people who post on this forum who claim to be so enthralled by the Scouts' shows during the past few years are actually long-standing fans of other corps.

Vic Russell

So that's how that MYNWA thing works. When the organization does something you don't like, you stop supporting them - nice.

So that's how that MYNWA thing works. When the organization does something you don't like, you stop supporting them - nice.

I give them an additional year just to see if it was an aberration and they have returned to their senses. After that, of course, it's the American way!

That's how anything in life works. If you don't agree with the direction of an organization, business, or anything else that you make contributions to, you stop giving money. That's his perogotive, his money, he can do with it as he pleases.

For example, if my church went in a direction that I disagreed with or made a decision that I strongly disagreed with, I would stop donating money, plain and simple. I work hard for what I earn, and I am going to make sure that the organizations that recieve my money also hold the same standards that I believe to be true.

There are many places that would be happy to have my money, his money, or anyone that is willing to make a donation. But you have to earn it. I don't have a money tree in my backyard.

That's how anything in life works. If you don't agree with the direction of an organization, business, or anything else that you make contributions to, you stop giving money. That's his perogotive, his money, he can do with it as he pleases.

For example, if my church went in a direction that I disagreed with or made a decision that I strongly disagreed with, I would stop donating money, plain and simple. I work hard for what I earn, and I am going to make sure that the organizations that recieve my money also hold the same standards that I believe to be true.

There are many places that would be happy to have my money, his money, or anyone that is willing to make a donation. But you have to earn it. I don't have a money tree in my backyard.

My mistake, I took the comment as coming from an alum. Of course people have every right to vote with thier wallets.

My mistake, I took the comment as coming from an alum. Of course people have every right to vote with thier wallets.

Oh......... I see! The cheap shots are reserved for alums only? What a wonderful act of courage on your part.

How about......Oh, I'm sorry. That was a cheap attempt at mockery because I thought you were a scout alum?

MUCH more accurate.

The poster is not an alum.

But as an alum, I feel that even when we do disagree with a direction, we should still continue

to support the Corps so that it will continue to exist and give the members the best

experience they can have. After talking to several of the guys in Madison, I get the

impression that they had the time of their lives this summer. you can't put a price on that!

Vic Russell

A turnaround from not making finals in their home city.