Whats up with the Madison Scouts Board of Directors?

I received an e-mail from Scott Boerma just now. He requested that I pass along the following information. The following is extracted from his request and I forward it for informational purposes only.:

<< As of last evening, I have officially resigned as the Brass Arranger and Brass Co-Caption Head as has Mark Waymire as the Brass Co-Caption Head. Most of our brass staff members resigned last night as well. I have been with the Madison Scouts for 23 years (18 as the arranger), so it is with heavy heart that I did this.

The caption heads for all other captions have also resigned, as well as a significant number of instructors and administrative staff.

My purpose for this letter to you is simply that of information. Please feel free to share this information with anyone you know, be it online or through word of mouth.>>

Yikes, that isn't good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, that isn't good.

Who is left on the board?? If Marty Redmann and Missy Whitman have resigned, who is the current board president?!? Who is making these decisions?!?! Obviously the board President is not if he resigned when they didn't renew Sal's contract. I'm confused!

Is Jeff Manion making all the choices?!?!?

Perhaps with everything going on, this is the time for the Scouts to bring in the guys who truly understand the organization...and with more than 200 new voting members (Thanks Alumni Project!) the board will be made up of people who understand the history and tradition!!!

...and with more than 200 new voting members (Thanks Alumni Project!) the board will be made up of people who understand the history and tradition!!!

FYI.

MDBCA By-Laws state that to be eligible for election to the Board, you must have previously served on the Board in some fashion (appointed or elected). That makes the list of potential candidates much smaller. Jeff Manion is the current President.

FYI.

MDBCA By-Laws state that to be eligible for election to the Board, you must have previously served on the Board in some fashion (appointed or elected). That makes the list of potential candidates much smaller. Jeff Manion is the current President.

Thank you for clarifying who the president is right now. However, I was hoping that the 200 new Alumni that would mean that those new voting members would vote and choose someone who was exactly what the fans and alumni are looking for.

According to what you said, how does someone new get onto the board?

Marty, I know we haven't been in agreeance over a lot of things in the past, (The Scouts pit wearing aussies!!!!) however it is sad to see you go. It sounds like you did understand the corps and the members and everyone really respected you.

Can you shed any light on the subject, or are you not in a position to make a statement?

Thanks!

Edited by mdsnsctfan

Wait a minute -- the only people who can serve on the Board are people who have already served on the Board? I guess I don't understand how these things work ... :lol:

The way the board and organization's by-laws work is a matter of public record. As a public non-profit, their business dealings and how they conduct business ARE the business of whomever chooses to make it their business, whether potential donors or interested parties.

Otherwise their bylaws and meeting minutes would never be released and they wouldn't be a 501©3 (and I'm pretty sure they are).

It's an internal problem and absolutely NONE of anyone elses business!

Why would you make a statement like this? Of course, posters on this site understand that they have no official standing to make decisions for the Madison Scouts organization. On the other hand, without fans supporting and attending drum corps shows, there would be no Madison Scouts. So, it is only natural that fans of the activity would offer their opinions and comments in a forum like this. I just don't get it when someone comes to a site like this and tells others they cannot express their opinion on whatever the subject may be.

Vic Russell

It's an internal problem and absolutely NONE of anyone elses business!

No one can even discuss it here on the forum?

Wait a minute -- the only people who can serve on the Board are people who have already served on the Board? I guess I don't understand how these things work ... :worthy:

"MDBCA By-Laws state that to be eligible for election to the Board, you must have previously served on the Board in some fashion (appointed or elected)."

Sounds like a misprint or lack of clarification on the by laws. Could guess a few thinks but would be pointless. Looks like key is the appointed members, sounds like another group I know.