Whats up with the Madison Scouts Board of Directors?

A turnaround from not making finals in their home city.

Not making finals in their home city constitutes what happened? Not Making finals in their home city means they can go from nearly $1000000 dollars in the savings account to being $500000 in the hole over the course of one year? Not making finals in their home city means the Organization should change EVERYTHING about their past...including Logo, uniforms, show style, marching style, etc, etc. Not making finals in their home city means they should move their home city to Sun Prairie?!? (If you look at anything official, read press releases, listen to where the corps is from at many shows...they are announced, THE MADISON SCOUTS from Sun Prairie, WI.) Not making finals means they should pretty much ignore 64 years of innovation, progress and tradition to take them all the way to 8th place in 2006?!?!? Not making finals means they should change everything so they go from having the highest retention rate (once heard it was nearing 95%) to having a turn around of nearly 70-80% each year. (that is what I heard, so if it's wrong, please let me know!)

Were changes needed, absolutely, I don't think their is one person who will completely disagree with that statement, but they sure the heck didn't need to be so drastic and occur in such a short amount of time.

We all hope, fans and alumni alike that the Madison Scouts return to their previous glory. Good LUCK BoD with chosing a well qualified new director to bring back our Scouts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not making finals in their home city constitutes what happened? Not Making finals in their home city means they can go from nearly $1000000 dollars in the savings account to being $500000 in the hole over the course of one year? Not making finals in their home city means the Organization should change EVERYTHING about their past...including Logo, uniforms, show style, marching style, etc, etc. Not making finals in their home city means they should move their home city to Sun Prairie?!? (If you look at anything official, read press releases, listen to where the corps is from at many shows...they are announced, THE MADISON SCOUTS from Sun Prairie, WI.) Not making finals means they should pretty much ignore 64 years of innovation, progress and tradition to take them all the way to 8th place in 2006?!?!? Not making finals means they should change everything so they go from having the highest retention rate (once heard it was nearing 95%) to having a turn around of nearly 70-80% each year. (that is what I heard, so if it's wrong, please let me know!)

Were changes needed, absolutely, I don't think their is one person who will completely disagree with that statement, but they sure the heck didn't need to be so drastic and occur in such a short amount of time.

We all hope, fans and alumni alike that the Madison Scouts return to their previous glory. Good LUCK BoD with chosing a well qualified new director to bring back our Scouts.

Don't put words is my mouth. I didn't type any of that, I jus typed one sentance. YOU added all the rest.

Good LUCK BoD with chosing a well qualified new director to bring back our Scouts.

I find it troubling that the BoD did not have a clue who to replace their existing administrative staff with. It's been almost a week and they have not made an announcement. Word in the Madison area is that they have lost their assistant director (quit) and their office manager (quit). You can't make a wholesale change without having a safety net in place. There are so many variables that go into their next year. Members are left hanging, potential auditionees are watching for a sign of stability, every corps out there is hiring their staffs, venders are thinking about where to place their product, and any number of other things that need to be solid are seemingly...I don't know the right word.

Regiment nailed it when they made the change, but the Madison folks seem to be scurrying. You can say that the change to Bob Wall was a mistake, and I wouldn't argue you on that point, but that board was proactive. I hope they can make an announcement soon or it may be a tough year for Madison.

Edited by Gantang

A "turnaround" from what? A “tournaround” from the fan-friendly, thrilling shows and financial stability offered under the leadership of Scott Stewart? I am hoping for a return to those years. I doubt seriously that I am the only fan who stopped contributing to the Scouts after Scott left. With a return to shows that appeal to Scouts fans, I will bet the financial health of the Scouts will also improve. I note that most of the people who post on this forum who claim to be so enthralled by the Scouts' shows during the past few years are actually long-standing fans of other corps.

Vic Russell

Yep and the corps was sliding into oblivion. Where do you think the talent would go after missing the top 12 again? Way to go with supporting "your" corps. Doesn't sound like you are a Madison Scout at all.

I find it troubling that the BoD did not have a clue who to replace their existing administrative staff with. It's been almost a week and they have not made an announcement.

Do you know for sure they haven't found someone?

If not, you shouldn't come on here and say they have no clue.

Why don't you e-mail someone on the board directly if

you have questions?

Edited by madalumni

Yep and the corps was sliding into oblivion. Where do you think the talent would go after missing the top 12 again? Way to go with supporting "your" corps. Doesn't sound like you are a Madison Scout at all.

Vic Russell is not a Madison Scout. He never claimed to be.

Not making finals in their home city means the Organization should change EVERYTHING about their past...including Logo, uniforms, show style, marching style, etc, etc. Not making finals in their home city means they should move their home city to Sun Prairie?!? (If you look at anything official, read press releases, listen to where the corps is from at many shows...they are announced, THE MADISON SCOUTS from Sun Prairie, WI.) Not making finals means they should pretty much ignore 64 years of innovation, progress and tradition to take them all the way to 8th place in 2006?!?!? Not making finals means they should change everything so they go from having the highest retention rate (once heard it was nearing 95%) to having a turn around of nearly 70-80% each year. (that is what I heard, so if it's wrong, please let me know!)

Good LUCK BoD with chosing a well qualified new director to bring back our Scouts.

Since you asked to let you know if you were wrong....

I believe you are on several of your statements. EVERYTHING did not change.

*Is not the logo still the Fluer de Lis? Yes it is.

*Was this the first uniform change? No it wasn't, it has changed several times. Like

EVERY other corps.

*Did they move their home city? No, they moved their office. The corps is still the Madison Scouts. I saw the corps MANY times over the past 4 years. Not once did I hear them announced as being from Sun Prairie. Of course some of their "printed material" has Sun Prairie on it. That's where the mail gets delivered. And how many other corps have changed their mailing address over the years?

*8th place in 2006? No, I believe they were 9th, but who cares.

*Retention rate of 95% now down to 30-20%? No, wrong on both ends. I don't think you'll find ANY corps with retention rates approaching 95%. Even the defending World Champions from '05 had, according to Hop's blog, had over 80 first year members.

*Bring back "our" Scouts. Funny, but "my" Scouts never left.

Since you asked to let you know if you were wrong....

I believe you are on several of your statements. EVERYTHING did not change.

*Is not the logo still the Fluer de Lis? Yes it is.

*Was this the first uniform change? No it wasn't, it has changed several times. Like

EVERY other corps.

*Did they move their home city? No, they moved their office. The corps is still the Madison Scouts. I saw the corps MANY times over the past 4 years. Not once did I hear them announced as being from Sun Prairie. Of course some of their "printed material" has Sun Prairie on it. That's where the mail gets delivered. And how many other corps have changed their mailing address over the years?

*8th place in 2006? No, I believe they were 9th, but who cares.

*Retention rate of 95% now down to 30-20%? No, wrong on both ends. I don't think you'll find ANY corps with retention rates approaching 95%. Even the defending World Champions from '05 had, according to Hop's blog, had over 80 first year members.

*Bring back "our" Scouts. Funny, but "my" Scouts never left.

Mine did. I agree 100% with Mdnsctfan.

Three lower placing years does not constitute "sliding into oblivion" in any endeavor drum corps included.

But the idea that there are not differences of opinion among alumni members is just foolish. The tradition has survived 68 years very nicely thank you. Scott was no more universally loved by alumni from before his time than Sal was by the Stewart era alumni. Its not strange, its life. But the bond remains regardless for the whole organization.

Does anyone know if the Scouts sold less in souvenirs the last three years than during other periods? I would assume '95 and '96 were big years for them. The crowds were insane for them. I assume the crowd found their souvenirs stand. I know that a lot of people supported the Sal directed Scouts on this forum, but is that enought. Is placement enought? I am trying to figure out how much the lack of a crowd pleasing show may have effected the Boards decision.