Whats up with the Madison Scouts Board of Directors?

"MDBCA By-Laws state that to be eligible for election to the Board, you must have previously served on the Board in some fashion (appointed or elected)."

Sounds like a misprint or lack of clarification on the by laws. Could guess a few things but would be pointless. Looks like key is the appointed members, sounds like another group I know.

Well the guy who posted that is the former MDBCA Board President who just recently resigned... I imagine he's got a pretty firm grasp on what the by-laws were.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the guy who posted that is the former MDBCA Board President who just recently resigned... I imagine he's got a pretty firm grasp on what the by-laws were.

Wasn't questioning his understanding or his typing. Just saying the one line quoted was confusing as to how one gets on the board. Very possible this is clairified in another section of the by-laws. I belong to an old car club and our (at least 12 pages) of by laws can be clear as mud if read one clause at a time. Possibly "appointed to the board" is coverd in another area of the by laws. You would get the same kind of confusion reading our by-laws and seeing "Life Member" about 20 times until you get to the clause explaining what a Life Member is.

When I posted "misprint or lack of calrification" I was refering to what is written in the by laws as what was posted appeared to be a direct quote. Not to the person who posted.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

How about everyone just hope for the best! Speculation doesn't do anyone any good - This is for the Madison folks to figure out, and I hope for the sake of their members and fans they make sound decisions. My bet is the Madison Scouts will come out OK.

I'm not affiliated with the Madison Scouts - Just a lifelong fan...

FYI.

MDBCA By-Laws state that to be eligible for election to the Board, you must have previously served on the Board in some fashion (appointed or elected). That makes the list of potential candidates much smaller. Jeff Manion is the current President.

----------------------------

Clarification: 1-year appointed positions on the board are open to anyone, but are appointed by the board. To serve in a 3-year elected position, one must have served first in an appointed position.

----------------------------

Clarification: 1-year appointed positions on the board are open to anyone, but are appointed by the board. To serve in a 3-year elected position, one must have served first in an appointed position.

Thanks for that, Mike! (good to see you here, as well!)

I never said you were saying exactly that. All I said was that those things happened, and was wondering if not making finals in their home city (the statement you made) meant that the board could do those things?!?!?

And in response to the following...

*Is not the logo still the Fluer de Lis? Yes it is.

Yes, it is still the Fluer de Lis, but a much much different one. As if the board wanted to change everything about the current day/Scott Stewert Scouts. Mean while, spending all the money on trivial things......taking one of the most stable corps in DCI (nearly 1,000,000 in the bank) to becoming another struggling corps with nearly 500,000 in debt

*Was this the first uniform change? No it wasn't, it has changed several times. Like

EVERY other corps.

No it wasn't, but did it come at a time when it seemed like the board wanted to change everthing about the current day/Scott Stewart Scouts...the answer to that is yes. Mean while, spending all the money on trivial things......taking one of the most stable corps in DCI (nearly 1,000,000 in the bank) to becoming another struggling corps with nearly 500,000 in debt

*Did they move their home city? No, they moved their office. The corps is still the Madison Scouts. I saw the corps MANY times over the past 4 years. Not once did I hear them announced as being from Sun Prairie. Of course some of their "printed material" has Sun Prairie on it. That's where the mail gets delivered. And how many other corps have changed their mailing address over the years?

Yes, plenty of corps move, but very few have their home city in their name. (And yes, after reading more and doing some research, I do realize that they moved prior to the 2003 season.) I must retract this Statement.

*8th place in 2006? No, I believe they were 9th, but who cares.

Oops, lets change everything next year because they almost didn't make finals this year. 9th is much worse than 8th...change the uniform and spend all the money they have saved.

*Retention rate of 95% now down to 30-20%? No, wrong on both ends. I don't think you'll find ANY corps with retention rates approaching 95%. Even the defending World Champions from '05 had, according to Hop's blog, had over 80 first year members.

I talked to a friend who marched the corps in 2000-2002, and he varified that they did infact have nearly 90% of possible returning members back. The drop off in 2003 was dramatic. And to top it off, they had an average age of 19-20 and now if I remember reading correctly the average age is barely 18.

*Bring back "our" Scouts. Funny, but "my" Scouts never left.

The Scouts I know and loved have not been present since 2003 (when they still had much of the same staff on board!). And I'm sure plenty of fans, and also alumni will agree.

The average age for the 2006 Madison Scouts was 19 1/2. As to your reply about the corps being in a "financial struggle," It was Sal Salas who got the corps out of their demise!!! I KNOW this for a FACT!!!

Retention rate is high. I have no clue where you get your information!

Please, tell me how the current Fluer de Lis is "different" now!!??!!

Please, also tell me what the corps did to make you say they spent money on "trivial things." Where you there?? Do you know what they spent and on what??? I'd say they did quite well for having had their budget cut by more than HALF by the current BoD.

No kidding, the staff changed in 2003. How many new directors do you personally know that don't bring their own staff with them or hire who they want???

Like I said - where do you get your information. MINE is first-hand.

MINE is first-hand.

Is this Ken "Looks like a penguin" Kyle? I've heard a wicked rumor that you are!

Pearsony

Update on the Scouts webpage:

http://madisonscouts.org/

Madison Scouts Board of Directors Begins Interviewing For Executive Director

August 29, 2006 - After a national search for an executive director, the Madison Scouts Board of Directors has narrowed its list of candidates and has begun interviewing its top choices. Criteria essential to the position include but are not limited to: an intimate awareness of the corps and its history, an understanding of the corps’ philosophy, leadership experience, a business background, and an eagerness to maintain and further develop the performance and organizational excellence of the Madison Scouts.

Although the Board recognizes the importance of selecting a leader and establishing an administrative team for 2007 and beyond, it also recognizes the greater importance of making the best possible decision for the long-term interests of the Madison Scouts. The board is working through its established process and will make further announcements as decisions are made.

Your patience during this period is greatly appreciated!

They should have had someone in line before they got rid out Sal...

maybe they shoulda... I won't disagree. But things don't always work out that way in business.