Cadets

It also has a lot to do with the guy running the Cadets. Needless to say, he's not the most popular guy out there.

True. But some of it is based on pure jealousy too, let's be honest here. The Cadets are a Corps that has beaten some Corps ( like Phantom, your Corps ) so frequently over the last 2 decades that at least a portion of the negative talk on the Cadets is just competitive frustration and jealousy. Not saying that this is your reason for blasting The Cadets..... but some of the frequent negative talk on the Cadets and their Director is jealousy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's because of the MAdison Scouts Alumni Corps!

oh wait... wrong thread.

:rock:

~>conner

Since some of you never get it - everything I am about to say is my opinion. My issues with the Cadets this year were:

1). It was NOT pushing the envelope or being innovative. It was done simply for the sake of doing it. I.e., because they could use vocals (amped vocals) they did! When I think of innovative, I think of the Garfield of '83-'86 (and beyond), SCV 1980, Star 1993 - to name a few. These groups took an existing activity and pushed it in new and different directions. The '06 Cadets just added a bunch of garbage.

2). It was NOT done well. The singing in the ballad was not effective. She over-powered the hornline and IMO it added nothing to the ballad. The whole hookie statement the chic in the black dress made in the beginning and before the percussion feature was STUPID!!!!

3). The character vocals were cheesey and didn't make sense.

So in short, I hated the vocals in the '06 Cadets. BUT, there was a lot to like about the show, and that made it even harder to swallow. For example. the tables with the acrobatics were cool (THAT is innovative). The percussion transition to and from the ballad was sheer brilliance. The guard work was spectacular (thought they should have won best guard). They, IMO, had one of the most effective guards this year, and the work was great and well featured. The drill was pretty cool, especialy the opening. In short, take out the ballad and I loved this show. I could live with the stupid character comment, because I actually liked the characters. BUT, I felt they would have been as effective if they just shut up!

What Garfield does as good (if not better than anyone else) is march, play and spin. What they don't do well is vocals (in terms of quality, design and execution). Garbage! That's what it was - garbage!

If I was on the YEA BOD, I would vote to send Hopkins and Co. packing! They have ruined one of the best corps in the activity and I only fear it's going to get worse.

True. But some of it is based on pure jealousy too, let's be honest here. The Cadets are a Corps that has beaten some Corps ( like Phantom, your Corps ) so frequently over the last 2 decades that at least a portion of the negative talk on the Cadets is just competitive frustration and jealousy. Not saying that this is your reason for blasting The Cadets..... but some of the frequent negative talk on the Cadets and their Director is jealousy.

I think that's a load of bull! Do I want Madison to win all the time? Of course. Do I want Phantom and SCV (to win all the time)? Of course. Do I freaking love the Cadets? Pre-'06, yes! It has NOTHING to do with the competitive success of the Cadets. It has to do with a nuthead of a director who threw in this crap just because he could. Rule changes happen, but when you do something just for the sake of doing it, it doesn't work. And, it didn't work - that is why a championship caliber corps (talent wise) got 5th place.

Yeah, Garfield Cadets did it back in '79 and got a penalty for it. :rock:

I think you are thinking of 1977, when the corps ended with "Amen" at the end of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar."

1979 was the year the drum major held up the sign at the end of the show stating something on the order of "NO VOCAL AMEN DUE TO (something) POINT PENALTY."

If I was on the YEA BOD, I would vote to send Hopkins and Co. packing! They have ruined one of the best corps in the activity and I only fear it's going to get worse.

George saved the Cadets from folding. Probably several times. Also, every DCI championship they have came with him as director. Just because YOU don't like the direction they are going does not mean that he is ruining anything.