Cadets

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The design team was exactly the same from 05 to 06, and I'm pretty sure it was the same in 2000 as well.

im aware of that, what I mean is I didnt like what the design team DID it 06, for the most part anyway. some of it was great. probably my favorite drum solo of the year (the drumming part, not the visual part)

Edited by corpsismylife

im aware of that, what I mean is I didnt like what the design team DID it 06, for the most part anyway. some of it was great. probably my favorite drum solo of the year (the drumming part, not the visual part)

You can't please everybody all the time.

I loved 06, but I don't like 98, but lots of people LOVE 98. You can't win em all :P

I think you are thinking of 1977, when the corps ended with "Amen" at the end of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar."

1979 was the year the drum major held up the sign at the end of the show stating something on the order of "NO VOCAL AMEN DUE TO (something) POINT PENALTY."

That's right....old age hits again! I must have gotten '79 mixed up with the sign.

I'm from the old school of drum corps, rotary piston horns, strap for the snares, posted colors, and marching tymps. No singing, no amps, not nuttin'!

I found the Cadets to be the most entertaning corps this summer, and wished I would have seen them more than once--now I am forced to actually dish out a few bucks to "Big Brother" and get the DVD to actually see what I missed, over and over again.

I saw these folks in the stands at DCI with the red circle split by its radii denouncing the use of amps (and based on my review of the various topics on this particular site focused on Garfield and Mr. George Hopkins).

I found the use, in particular by the cadets (and their vocals) to be enlightening, entertaining, and innovative.

It appears to be the census of this board to bash the cadets.

I have always seemed to be skeptical of their show (based primarily on the reviews of this site and others). However, time and time again, over the past 20 years I have always found them to be the most entertaining and worth the $$$ I spend at each show when I venture to such an event.

They keep pushing the envelope. Yet I will be very concerned should I ever see (let alone hear an oboe, clarinet, flute, or sax) in use within a drum corps. I was totally flabbergasted when I saw the announcement of such for the best in I & E at quarterfinals.

Should drum corps move to woood winds it will definitely cease being drum corps.

Not taking away from those individuals who won such recognition in Madison for those instruments, congrats, but DCI and you folks, you can hold your horses and perform at your respective state competitions in February. This is akin to break dancing at a ballet recital. It just don't fit.

What say you

:rock:

b**bs HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA

sorry...thought this was serious there for a sec. :P

True. But some of it is based on pure jealousy too, let's be honest here. The Cadets are a Corps that has beaten some Corps ( like Phantom, your Corps ) so frequently over the last 2 decades that at least a portion of the negative talk on the Cadets is just competitive frustration and jealousy. Not saying that this is your reason for blasting The Cadets..... but some of the frequent negative talk on the Cadets and their Director is jealousy.

I'm sure that the Cavs are just "green" with envy. Hee hee haw haw ROFLOL :P

I think you are thinking of 1977, when the corps ended with "Amen" at the end of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from "Jesus Christ Superstar."

1979 was the year the drum major held up the sign at the end of the show stating something on the order of "NO VOCAL AMEN DUE TO (something) POINT PENALTY."

No - you're both right. They were still singing "amen" through most of the 1979 season, and getting penalized for it. Near season's end, they used the sign instead.

The design team was exactly the same from 05 to 06, and I'm pretty sure it was the same in 2000 as well.

The design team has been in need of new, fresh creativity for a very long time. This years show brok no new ground, set no new trend, and dropped no jaws. Its time for creativity to take forefront and leave the gimmics and anticvs behind. I agree with everythig Elliot said except about the guard.

They didnt revolutionize any of these concepts that bands werent already doing, and much better. Vocally ? Klunker city in regards to the ballad, setting the mood, and actual phrases chosen. nevermind the lack of consistency technically.

The characters werent revolutionary, the tables werent revolutionary. The field has gone 3-d before, back in 1985 when the marauders used ladders, back in 1990 when Scouts used stools, just to name a few.

Cadets need to reinvent themselves, have a "take no prisoner" attitude" and come up with something the audience can embrace, love and cheer for.

This will be an interesting off-season

~G~