Thank you from DCA.

And can we make sure ALL the corps competing are listed??? I looked and there was NO section on SoCal Dream....none, zilch, zip, nada

Ah. . . . no disrespect, but SoCal Dream was contacted on more than one ocassion to provide info. They did not. So there you are.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not much more to add from me:

- using the tent as a staging area was a great idea on Saturday, but it would have been even better if you would have secured the tent sides down, especially the back 'windward' side. the wind and rain whipped in anyway. might have been warmer, but we were already soaked to the bone anyway.

- the group pictures were a joke. I would have stopped them immediately once there was going to be no letup in the weather. I am sure it wasn't any better for anyone else, but by the time we got off the field, you had to cross a bog to get to very muddy and slick risers to get three shots of a soaked muddy corps. We didn't even bother to stay for section shots. No amount of retouching is going to fix those pics

- stood in line at the concession stand for 15 minutes for one of the few cans of soda left in the stand, only to get to the front to find that the only person able to run the cash register disappeared - for the rest of the night. The other three people behind the counter had no clue what do do.

- IIRC, DCA rules dictate the layout of the competition field. No lines, then no competition, IMO. We did remarkably well without them, but I think it was unfair to all competitors not to have reasonable field conditions.

- Traffic patterns and control of the bus, equipment, and warmup areas were handled quite efficiently. Although all the corps seemed to be right next to each other, I thought everyone got their fair share of warmup space, and were very courteous to each other.

a one day show is impossible. face it, ya gotta move the alumni, and hey, some of them may not have even been in town. also, DCA, the stadium crew and the vendors need time between shows to restock and get everything ready for a whole new show.

yeah the place had some issues....the place isnt even a year old yet. i agree parking could be better marked...if you dont know the area, it's tricky. i too had some complaints, but DCA IS listening and will work to address them. i mean let's face it gang, we could have been back at Frontier Field, or, for those who hate Scranton, we could have been there ( tho that would have been better for escaping the weather.

overall, with improvements in the areas of valid concern listed so far, the place could be great. i do hope we are abale to go to the other side next year, as it seems higher. cheese steak in the end zone concession stand was wonderful, and the Labatt's tallboys came in handy.

I&E facilities were great. I dont remember Rochester being this pretty of a city when i was up there a lot in 2001, and i have no issues at all going back again.

and if you send me your program and $20, i can get kelly to autograph it for you. i'm keeping the $20 tho :P

I do not like the people's choice for the alumnis everyone works just as hard and it is only a exibition. A cash prize was awarded. Again everyone works just as hard as the next one. My opinion.

I agree, it should have remained an exhibition. I'm disappointed that it has taken this direction. Since the corps all do work just as hard there are different degrees of performing involved meaning drilling and such that makes it impossible to compare. Our corps can no longer march a full drill anyway so that's that. However, I forgot that it was a "people's choice". We knew we were going to win nothing when we entered the field but I hope we entertained. I know I love what I do with the corps that I do it with and if only 4 people liked us, then that's great!

i guess i'm having trouble grasping why there are issues with the audience voting on prizes. IMO it should motivate corps to try and reach the crowd with their performances. not in a competitive sense ~ but to go out and give it all you've got. isn't that the nature of performing in the first place? :worthy:

Hi Ray!

Allen and his folks have had several beers. They're fine. Well . . . maybe not so fine the day after. I DID NOT know books were not available near the end of the Alumni event. By the way, big crowd for that. Goal to goal at the bottom, could not see the top from where I was.

DCA will climb that ladder as long as guys like you keep participating. Thanks.

Being the first corps' on at the Alumni Spectacular I had plenty of time to find a program book.

Not a vendor in sight anywhere and believe me I looked. (who wouldn't want to vote for themselves?)

That being said I personally want to thank DCA for being invited to the Spectacular. What a great experience and fantastic fans with plenty of standing "O"'s. I have no other issues. :)

Once again the following statements are my own opinion and nothing more.

The stadium itself was fairly nice, Although I do wish there were more seats inside the 40's. I did not have any problems with the vendors but then again I went early. The prices were ridiculous but then again most sporting events are just as bad. The best part of the night for me was the ability to watch so many great corps on the field, and also to see that the Rochester baseball team (who got no hit that night by the SWB Red Barons who coincidently play at Lackawanna County Stadium) was aware enough to postpone their fireworks show until after a corps performance, very classy indeed. The worst part of the evening for me was the area of the stadium. When I heard about the planning for building PAETEC park I heard that it was in a not so great part of town. There have been very few times in my life where I've been afraid of leaving my car parked on the street, this was one of them (although kudos for the 5 dollar parking). I also feel bad for the corps who had jets flying over or police sirens screaming during their ballads (this was one of the GREAT parts about Lackawanna County Stadium, it was essentially in the middle of nowhere yet still accessable). Also a pet peeve of mine was trying to find the place itself. Without mapquest directions it would have been difficult to find, and I personally think a little bit of directions on the welcome banner hanging from rt. 490 would have been greatly appreciated.

All in all it was a decent experience, however I think that the negative issues I have with the stadium unfortunatly cannot be solved by DCA. I would encourage interested parties to submit a bid to host DCA in the future ($1 to Jeff Ream)

Edited by BucsBuff

i'll agree on the signage...even following mapquest was confusing, as it wanted me to go down a one way street the wrong way

Definitely must agree on the group photos; it would be interesting to see how many people actually order one. The photographer was a jackass who seemed to have no consciousness of the fact that we were soaked to the skin and wanted to get the #### out of there, not to mention, as was brought up earlier, that he wanted the contras to haul their slippery horns up that rickety construct they call scaffolding. Regular group photos are a pain; under Saturday's circumstances they were virtually intolerable.