Stupid Penalties

ok... clarifications and corrections

1. You can start anywhere from either side or back and you don't have to be on the field (football field 100X60 yards)

2. Only pit players in the pit until the entire corps has entered the field (I believe that has to be accomplished within 60 seconds but would have to double check the rule book on that)

3. during the timed portion of the show... there is a .3 per occurance violation for crossing the sides or back boundary - sorry... blew that one...

4. Crossing the pit line is a 1 Point penalty per occurance.

5. The T&P judge has multiple responsibilities and only he can assess a boundary violations... consequently, violations backfield are seldom seen... I have been up front as a show sponsor and official and have seen violations go unnoticed... that's life... it would not be prudent or cost effective to add a judge just for such an unusual happening. His primary job is the correct timing of the show... and the smooth flow of the show... but generally, they do a great job of seeing the action and don't miss that often...

usual caviats... not affiliated with DCA etc.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, like what if we had full-contact Drum Corps.....and say a guy from the Kilties threw a flying tackle at one of the girls in the Bucs pit...and she got knocked out of bounds. Can she resume her spot as soon as she gets up? Does she have to wait until the end of the particular song they are playing? Or is she out for the remainder of the show? And....can Tommy Argy throw a flag for "roughing the marimba player"? These are all important questions, when it comes to boundary penalties. b**bs

We'd never know, because the Bucs' baritone line would have thrown down thier horns and beat the offending Kiltie into plaid pulp. At that point, things would degenerate into total mayhem.

Then again, if the Kiltie tried to tackle Sharaon Zearfoss, she wouldn't need any help with the ensuing beat-down. Jami Mills on the other hand...

^0^

So, like what if we had full-contact Drum Corps.....and say a guy from the Kilties threw a flying tackle at one of the girls in the Bucs pit...and she got knocked out of bounds. Can she resume her spot as soon as she gets up? Does she have to wait until the end of the particular song they are playing? Or is she out for the remainder of the show? And....can Tommy Argy throw a flag for "roughing the marimba player"? These are all important questions, when it comes to boundary penalties. b**bs

How about bounties on knocking a judge out cold. :wink:

Just kidding :P :P :P :P

Not really :P :P :P

Derka Derka Derka.

Edited by camel lips

We'd never know, because the Bucs' baritone line would have thrown down thier horns and beat the offending Kiltie into plaid pulp. At that point, things would degenerate into total mayhem.

Then again, if the Kiltie tried to tackle Sharaon Zearfoss, she wouldn't need any help with the ensuing beat-down. Jami Mills on the other hand...

^0^

hey hey hey! i can take care of myself!

and even if i couldn't, it's good to know people bigger than me :P

While I am sorry that the Renegades were penalized, I would never characterize the front boundry line violation as stupid.

This rule is important for the safety of fans and also standardizes all venues. I say safety of fans because imagine this. No boundry and the designer brings the guard as close to the crowd as the venue allows. The guard member happens to have a sabre or rifle and puts it in the air, a gust of wind blows and takes control away from the performer and it lands ion the stands striking a fan and injuring them. That fan now sues DCA, the corps performing and the individual that put the equipment in the air. It is not good for anyone.

The same scenarion could even play out if a horn player attempted to climb into the stands and lost their footing falling onto a fan. Or simply falling to the ground and being injured themself. They could then sue DCA and the venue severing that relationship and even causing extreme financial burden on DCA.

No, it is not stupid. A front boundry line is important to the health of our activity and unfortunately enforcement must be points penalty. If there is no penalty, there would be no enforcement. As for whos responsibility it is to note the penalty, that probably lies with the timing and penalty judge. There are not as many penalties as there used to be, so one person should be able to handle it properly.

^0^

What is up with the Kiltie's having members that are disrespectful of other Drum Corps members let alone human beings in general. The Kilties have never in the past 70 years, and never will in the next 70 years violently strike out at other Drum Corps members . Some individuals obviously lack tack and sensitivity in their comments, regardless of whether they feel they are being funny. If and when any other corps looses a member on the field of competiton either during the regular season or at DCA Championships the only thing the Kilties will offer is our deepest condolences and help in any way possible. If an individual needs to select a ridiculous outburst by a Drum Corps maybe they should first think about their comments effect on the Corps being singled out for abuse, and if they can't help/stop themselves then it might be better to select an offending corps member from their Drum Corps.

Please accept my apologies if you were offended. I can assure you I was writing in jest, and meant no disrespect to anyone.

I could have just as easily chosen the Cabs and Empire, or the Brigs and Bush. I have always held the Kilties in highest regard.

What is up with the Kiltie's having members that are disrespectful of other Drum Corps members let alone human beings in general. The Kilties have never in the past 70 years, and never will in the next 70 years violently strike out at other Drum Corps members . Some individuals obviously lack tack and sensitivity in their comments, regardless of whether they feel they are being funny. If and when any other corps looses a member on the field of competiton either during the regular season or at DCA Championships the only thing the Kilties will offer is our deepest condolences and help in any way possible. If an individual needs to select a ridiculous outburst by a Drum Corps maybe they should first think about their comments effect on the Corps being singled out for abuse, and if they can't help/stop themselves then it might be better to select an offending corps member from their Drum Corps.

Dude, relax. It's a joke. Please note the smileys.

It should have been obvious from the original joke that it was indeed that...a joke. I jokingly replied, as did a few others.

Stupid jokes.

b**bs B)

Edited by skajerk