If the corps were going to be on the field we as spectators owe it to them to watch.

Fully agree.

My only...complaint about Prelims was that there were about 60 people in the stands (my quick estimate)(last year there were well over 1000) when we performed. We worked very hard to be there plus we were fighting conditions that made it hard to breath properly, much less perform. It was a bit extra effort for the performers to be out there. I wish more (absent) audience members had felt the same way.

For me, a big pay-off of doing drum corps is getting that crowd reaction. Sixty people, too cold and wet to even clap much less stand up, is not much of a reward. That--not the weather--is what most affects my performance.

I recognize that I am merely complaining here and that there was not much to be done about what happened. But maybe it is something to consider for next year in case of inclement weather.

My brother and father (fans) flew from Texas to see my one performance on Saturday--are paying customers expected to 'suck it up' too? I believe the fans would have been better served had the prelims been rescheduled.

Edited by FrontierEuph

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was too. The show was June 10 and the wind was astonishing. I am very petite and light weight and I was blown sideways into the horn next to me several times during our show! I kept waiting for a house to fall on my sister..........Surprisingly it was not hard to play. The wind just carried the notes. I wouldn't have wanted to do guard though. A funny about that day: I prepared a picnic lunch for a few of us and when we started to eat, the food went flying off the blanket and plates! :lol:

you should have been out practicing in that wind all day on that field in Bayonne :lol:

i am in the guard and at one point the wind blew during practice and wrenched those double swing flags and twisted my elbow in a direction it is NOT supposed to go. it still has a funny click to it. but that's the way it goes ~ at least it didn't end up in a cast. haven't always been able to say that. <**>

yet i still come back for more b**bs

Okay, maybe I'm just a bit dense, but I still don't understand what World Gone Mad and DrumCorpsMom are complaining about.

Are they upset that they were nice and dry while the corps were performing in driving rain & wind? Or that DrumCorpsMom's daughter was sitting in the rain (probably in a nice raincoat) while watching corps get soaking wet? (Kudos to the daughter & friends -- we appreciated every person in the audience!)

Or are they trying to speak for us corps members, who so far, haven't complained about the mean DCA people & corps staff for making us march in the rain. If so, thanks but no thanks. We're adults and can speak for ourselves.

Edited by ea1974

Fully agree.

My only...complaint about Prelims was that there were about 60 people in the stands (my quick estimate)(last year there were well over 1000) when we performed. We worked very hard to be there plus we were fighting conditions that made it hard to breath properly, much less perform. It was a bit extra effort for the performers to be out there. I wish more (absent) audience members had felt the same way.

For me, a big pay-off of doing drum corps is getting that crowd reaction. Sixty people, too cold and wet to even clap much less stand up, is not much of a reward. That--not the weather--is what most affects my performance.

I recognize that I am merely complaining here and that there was not much to be done about what happened. But maybe it is something to consider for next year in case of inclement weather.

My brother and father (fans) flew from Texas to see my one performance on Saturday--are paying customers expected to 'suck it up' too? I believe the fans would have been better served had the prelims been rescheduled.

I would bet that if DCA had an inkling that Sunday would be perfect weather they would have considered a reschedule. However, given that the weather was not supposed to be much better during the day it was not going to buy them much.

I actually pay no attention to what the audience is doing or even if they are there. I am usually too focused on my gig to pay attention...I have found that the few times I find myself noticing them I get distracted. I did DCI Finals in 1982 in front of 40k+ people...or so I hear. ;-)

DrumCorpsMom is drumcorpsmama. She probably has marched more shows in ####### ####ty weather than you. BTW, her daughter is my god child. Both her and her mom have marched their share of less than ideal conditions along with me. Most of the marchers haven't complained. People are entitled to their opinions, warped or not.

Unless they have changed their story they are not the same person. But how do you have any insight on how many bad weather shows anyone else has marched?

Fully agree.

I agree with you about the fans having to suck it up in the monsoon. They deserve to be able to watch all the fine performances in relative comfort. As a Fan, I probably would have been below the stands watching the monitors as much as in the stands.

But I also watched Packer and Bear football games in Nov. and Dec. with snow, or temps in the teens. As long as the game was on, I was there.

I thought that ALL the corps performing on Sunday, including Alumni, would happen. No Prelims show, just a single show called Finals, with the usual placing rules that apply. But I was glad to perform for those that were there on Sat.

Next year we bring all weather gear.....shorts, tee's, and sunscreen for that HEATWAVE that may happen.....scuba gear for the possible MONSOON, snowmobile suits and parka's for the Blizzard. :lol: :) :P

See everyone next year.

John

Unless they have changed their story they are not the same person. But how do you have any insight on how many bad weather shows anyone else has marched?

I dont think DrumCorpsMom, has posted in this thread.. and that teh earlier refrence to her was a mistake, and meant to refer to drumcorpsmama.

at least thats how i took it.

Earlier?, at 10:00 AM I would bet that not even half the paying customers were in their seats yet for the Alumni Corps show,.........I Understand you would want to perform in front of a crowd, so would we,...................I am an advocate for moving the Alumni Corps show to noon maybe, but not ealier than 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning,..............but you can wish!

10:00am??????? I wasn't even done throwing up yet

I have marched my share of monsoons, lakefront shows(Kenosha in late May),dustbowl shows(try Kansas and Iowa in mid-July). All that I have heard is how "we sucked it up and marched', "it was bad for every one",etc. You chose to march DCA. The DCA higher ups knew that what it was going to be like. But I do give kudos to all that marched in that ####. But if WGM has opinions about Rochester, give him his due. He is a rookie. He will know next time.

Thank God, all you marchers. It could have been artificial grass and been worse. Imagine all the slipping and sliding?