Belated Review of DCA

Interesting observation....and one I wouldn't made given the conditions during prelims. Possible to expand of the thought??

Sure thing. It's an observation that I wouldn't figure either. I guess I felt that despite the horrible conditions and small crowd, there was a great sense of energy coming from the corps that wasn't matched at Finals. Maybe Sunday's performance was, indeed, better, but I thought there was more pizzaz and oomph at the Saturday show.

Don't get me wrong, both were fine performances, just thought Saturday had some more punch.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought more than a few shows had more zip saturday...i think people hyped up for the weather

i thought more than a few shows had more zip saturday...i think people hyped up for the weather

That and the wind at least when I went on was going towards the stands. That in conjunction with few bodies in the stands to absorb the sound, probably created a condition of greater decibels per corps on Saturday. Plus quality of performance isn't a primary concern when the quality of performance conditions isn't at the standards it should have been for an international championships competition.

So it was raining, big whoop. We could have at least had lines, hashes, pictures, video recording, and audio recording worth a hoot. I mean almost any redneck show in the mist of a cornfield could have at least gotten pictures of the event. But apparently not at DCA 2006 prelims.

P.S. thanks for the review of the Kilties. I'm glad at least one person got the see the greatest show never seen at DCA 2006. As far as the drill comment, what can you do with a corps who's average age is in the mid-40's. I've been in a DCA corps that has done competitive drill at the costs of all other corps aspects. And you know what it got us? Next to last and Next to next to last finishes. And this year they got last place. But you know what, it's probably the highest scoring last place in the history of DCA. And I may even find myself there again next year. But given a choice between competitive drill and horn arc time, I'll choose arc time any day of the week.

you talking to me or Adam bout the drill?

as for the zip, i dont mean volume or decibels or any scientific ####. i mean hype from the corps...the rain driving everyone to dig down and find that extra something

you talking to me or Adam bout the drill?

Whom ever had the conservative drill comment, which seems to have gotten edited out of this thread. Or maybe I misread things since I posted after a night out.

IMO the drill was what it needed to be for the genre of weekends only. It was by no means easy, and it seemed that if we had a mediocre visual night, our score came in about ten points low of where we expected it to be. Granted that most sets were 8 to 5 step sizes or smaller. But when you're doing that at 160bpm, and marching all of your ballads in double time, it aint no cake walk.

Sure thing. It's an observation that I wouldn't figure either. I guess I felt that despite the horrible conditions and small crowd, there was a great sense of energy coming from the corps that wasn't matched at Finals. Maybe Sunday's performance was, indeed, better, but I thought there was more pizzaz and oomph at the Saturday show.

Don't get me wrong, both were fine performances, just thought Saturday had some more punch.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Adam, you're absolutely on the money here, at least as far as the Bushwackers were concerned.

We had a much more emotional show on Saturday night.

Of course, we love to play and march in the rain, aka, 'liquid awesome' <$1 to Chris Kilian> :)

Well, it's true. No sense whining about the rain - you just gotta push through it.

If you think about it as 'liquid awesome', instead of crappy rain, then it'll be easier to puteth the smacketh downeth.

Well, it's true. No sense whining about the rain - you just gotta push through it.

If you think about it as 'liquid awesome', instead of crappy rain, then it'll be easier to puteth the smacketh downeth.

We all did push through it. And got our highest score of the year, highest Kilties Sr. ever achieved, one place out of the top ten.

Doesnt mean it didnt suck ### to have to perform in that to an almost nonexistent crowd.

Whom ever had the conservative drill comment, which seems to have gotten edited out of this thread. Or maybe I misread things since I posted after a night out.

IMO the drill was what it needed to be for the genre of weekends only. It was by no means easy, and it seemed that if we had a mediocre visual night, our score came in about ten points low of where we expected it to be. Granted that most sets were 8 to 5 step sizes or smaller. But when you're doing that at 160bpm, and marching all of your ballads in double time, it aint no cake walk.

I think youre referring to Jeffs comment in his review in another thread that Kilties drill was playing it safe. Which compared to the movement of Cabs for example was probably a fair statement. This year Kilties were just trying to execute their program well and we opted for less field coverage and more geometric patterns, blocks etc.