Belated Review of DCA

I've had two weeks to digest everything now and thought I'd offer up my take on DCA Weekend, at least what I saw of it anyway. I hope this is inciteful and is taken well. It will be honest at the very least.

Saturday-Prelims:

First off, after all of the weather talk already mentioned, I am going to apologize to the corps who I didn't see because I was a wimp and didn't feel like getting drenched. I saw a few and will review them accordingly.

Dream: Prelims was a nice show, better than Finals in my opinion. I enjoyed the choice of music and thought the corps performed at a higher level than in 2004. Watch those penalties though, cutting it a little close. Had them 2nd at Finals in a tight race between they and Sabers.

Gulf Coast Sound: Great energy and improved again for the third year in a row. Hazy Shade of Winter (title?) was a great chart with rockin contras. 2nd number was scattered and hard to follow, but remainder of show made up for it. I enjoy their shows each year, keep up the steady improvement.

Apologies to Lakeshoremen and Sabers, didn't see show. I did see Sabers on the monitor and after seeing the reaction of the drum major, I said to my brother, "They had a good run, i bet they make it to Sunday." Good call I guess on my part.

Sabers: Performance seemed to lack some punch for my liking, but quality was there. I enjoyed the 2nd half more than the first half and am always happy to see a corps improve year to year. I'm guessing Saturday was the better run, would love to hear take from a corps member. All in all, nice job.

Alliance, Chops Inc., Govies (Saturday): Apoligies, went to hotel for dry clothes and food.

Govies (Sunday): Great little corps. I hate Birdland, but liked the way you did it. That is an incredible compliment if you knew how much I despise that song. But you more than kept my interest. Thought drums a bit rough around the edges, but clearly the best Class A package.

Frontier: More apologies, I really wanted to see you but dinner ran longer than I hoped.

Music City Legend: I heard the last minute re-entering the stadium and thought, "Darn, whoever is on the field sounds awesome." Well, I was pleased to hear you'd be closing the Alumni show and liked what I saw and heard. Difficult show performed very well. If you continue this pace year after year, DCA may have to take notice. I look forward to what will happen in the future with this corps.

Sunrisers: Rain break, god am I a wuss, sorry Sun.

Crusaders: I really dug this show. Wish finals coul've taken 12. School's Out was awesome and Stairway was cool too. Great concept and it worked for me.

Kilties: I was really rooting for you to make Finals, but alas, there was no room for an 11th. Still, I think some pride should definitely be taken in what you did. Has anyone ever scored 84 and change and still miss finals by 3 points? Music was solid as was drill, guard needs some more work though to get you over the hump. Here's to many more great years ahead.

Skyliners: Nice performance. Finals was way out of reach, but that sure didn't stop them from a fine show. Bohemian Rhapsody the clear highlight for me. Small numbers, big sound, bigger hearts, great performance.

Hurricanes: Saw it Scranton and I'll be brutally honest, thought it was awful. :wub: Same reaction I had in Lewisburg last year. But what this corps does in two weeks is astonishing. It became, borderline, my favorite of the weekend. If a corps can be judged on improvement in final two weeks, Hurcs would 10 point the field. Everything worked for me, solid all around corps with no glaring weaknesses. Music sold and my pre-show predictions of having you out of finals were obliterated half-way through the opener. Great job Hurcs, I'll never doubt you again :)

Corps Vets: Loved it, loved it, loved it. Most entertainig show of the weekend in my book. Vic as Elvis was highlight of a dreary Saturday. I laughed all the way to the hotel. Granted, hotel wasn't far, but still a hearty laugh. Powerful horn line with great, entertaining selections. Wanted to have you higher at Finals, but everyone stepped up as well.

This ended my prelims night as water now entered crevices on my body I didn't know existed. Rest of the corps are Finals viewings.

Carolina Gold: TOP is a can't miss in my book. Great soloists, nice ensemble sound, talented guard. My friend Tim said, "Wow, this should be a great night if this is 10th place." Thought you were scored in the right place, nothing to be ashamed of with 10th. I look forward to this corps more every year.

Renegades: 7 ^0^ Didn;t think it was as intense as padst years, but after hearing what they went throught to make it here, very impressed. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it and thought it had some vintage Renegade moments. I always like Stan Kenton and Stairway was awesome. Keep coming back every year. Sorry I couldn't help you on snare, ask Jeff Ream about my chops <**>

Brigs: Honestly, didn't care for the show and music. However, I thought the performance level was outstanding. Anyone who says you should've scored lower doesn't understand. Just because I wasn't entertained doesn't mean I can't recognize a talented corps. Heard it was tough year for the Brigs as well. Maybe this is similar to Cabs last year, and they improved quite well. Hang in there and give em heck in 2007.

Sidebar: Weird not seeing Trevor on the podium.

Minnesota: Oozing entertainment. Opening solo was sick (good way sick). Drums almost returned to form of 2004 and 2003 with some astonishing licks. This corps offers so much every year. I'd love for them to win a title, but thir always a hair short somewhere. Hope you find it someday. Until then, keep giving the fans what they want.

Caballeros: My winner, yes, I said it. I thought they should've won. Best show of the weekend. In your face, relentless assault on the audience. Steve Vickers told me he thought you won Prelims, and then told me you were better at Finals. Maybe some visual glitches, but as a package goes, this was the bomb.

Bush: Good balanced corps with percussion a little lacking at times. Liked the ide of Perfect Year, nice ballad. Opener was cool, but Rocky Point did damage. It was like the closer tha never ends, in a good way. Each time I wanted more, it came. Happy 25th to Bush.

Sidebar: It was said in other posts, no offense to Bruni, but Killian could've easily won drum major tonight. What a spitfire.

Empire: My preseason pick finally failed me, but not for a lack of effort. Music of Ray Charles was a hit with fans and judges alike. Loved the drum solo with Ritchie and Joey duking it out on the piano. America was ridiculously good. Ending was everything I hoped and more. Close call at the top.

Bucs: Showed up for sure. They knew the title they held all year would be tough to keep and definitely performed to their high standards. I thought Cabs won, but not taking away from Bucs, they definitely performed a titleworthy performance. I thought the dirt I saw in Scranton was gone. Bass drums, I must kidnap you and pose you as high schoolers for the next two months. Nothing against my kids, but they'll enjoy the show. Pit was awesome. Last year, I found my eyes gravitate towards the cymbals, thisd year was the pit (when bass drum weren't pulling off an amazing run). Brass did just enough and best visual package of night.

Alumni show: Not much to say except everybody rocked my socks off. Bridgemen to me was the moment of the weekend. William Tell Finale is brutal and doesn't let you breathe. All corps were a treat to watch, even saw Mr. Sun once or twice.

Fran Haring's Shirt: b**bs I'll try again next year, but you're going to be tough to beat. I think you offended Vic, and he's worn shirts like that before.

All in all, an interesting weekend with some great performances. Here's to bigger and better in 2007.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Adam. Thanks!

I've had two weeks to digest everything now and thought I'd offer up my take on DCA Weekend, at least what I saw of it anyway. I hope this is inciteful and is taken well. It will be honest at the very least.

Corps Vets: Loved it, loved it, loved it. Most entertainig show of the weekend in my book. Vic as Elvis was highlight of a dreary Saturday. I laughed all the way to the hotel. Granted, hotel wasn't far, but still a hearty laugh. Powerful horn line with great, entertaining selections. Wanted to have you higher at Finals, but everyone stepped up as well.

Adam.. buddy.. glad I could "brighten up" your cold,dreary, wet self :) ... Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk over the weekend. But watching you, Jeff, and other spectator reactions of my "Elvis" was cool to see. CV was a blast this year. Glad you and everyone enjoyed the show!!

Fran Haring's Shirt: b**bs I'll try again next year, but you're going to be tough to beat. I think you offended Vic, and he's worn shirts like that before.

It WAS quite glaring... B) Had to pull the aussie hat down LOW........ Glad I had those shades to wear too.. I may have to go on another shirt hunt !!!! b**bs

Maybe see you at the Stadium Club next month or so!!

All in all, an interesting weekend with some great performances. Here's to bigger and better in 2007.

HERE HERE

Edited by hurcwave

Thank you so much for the kind words. I guess we are the Madison of DCA, crowd loves us but the Title is harder to come by (unless it is the 70's). I could say I was born 20 years too late, but I am very proud of the years I spent here at Hawthorne (96-06). Bring it back to Hawthorne, Cabs! ^0^

Great review, Adam. Always good to see you, my friend.

We'll hopefully catch you at the first Westshoremen Alumni rehearsal in January!

Fran

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked the show. It was a blast to peform! I agree with you about Cabs.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked the show. It was a blast to peform! I agree with you about Cabs.

What Sean said!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I guess we are the Madison of DCA, crowd loves us but the Title is harder to come by (unless it is the 70's). I could say I was born 20 years too late, but I am very proud of the years I spent here at Hawthorne (96-06). Bring it back to Hawthorne, Cabs!

Well----------------- now i know its not just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only did i think Cabs should not have been 4th, i thought they would WIN. I was very happy that my Hurcs did so well and just can't figure the Cabs coming in so low(4th) Maybe they were paying the price for last year. I went to the Cabs web site and watched the video of the finals performance----------------------------------------IT WAS BETTER THAN I REMEMBERED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played with the sound and without to focus on the Visual--------------------WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!