Belated Review of DCA

I mean almost any redneck show in the mist of a cornfield could have at least gotten pictures of the event. But apparently not at DCA 2006 prelims.

I guess you are talking about WS?? ^0^

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think youre referring to Jeffs comment in his review in another thread that Kilties drill was playing it safe. Which compared to the movement of Cabs for example was probably a fair statement. This year Kilties were just trying to execute their program well and we opted for less field coverage and more geometric patterns, blocks etc.

i dont think you played it safe per se, i just think that per chance your could have maybe had some moves that appeared to have more velocity.

in this day and age, 160 bpm has become old hat to many. i think it has it's place, and i think 8 to 5 works well, but sometimes making it look harder than it is helps out a lot.

i dont think you played it safe per se, i just think that per chance your could have maybe had some moves that appeared to have more velocity.

in this day and age, 160 bpm has become old hat to many. i think it has it's place, and i think 8 to 5 works well, but sometimes making it look harder than it is helps out a lot.

Thats a fair point Jeff, our problem is that our average age is somewhere in the 40s, so Kilties need to "young up" before the real velocity can begin.

again, it's how you make it look. even the occasional 6 to 5 could help a lot in the velocity dept.

an example...a few years ago, brigs were getting #### becuase they didnt "move enough".

yet, come the end of the show, they had a few sets of 6 to 5, that when compared to the other parts of the show, looked like they were sprinting.

helped a lot.

Plus, IMo i remember watching Cabs in 03...lotsa older folks out there, and they ran their ##### off.

but it doesnt have to be all fast all the time. here and there, when it makes sense can do wonders

Thats a fair point Jeff, our problem is that our average age is somewhere in the 40s, so Kilties need to "young up" before the real velocity can begin.

Actually the average age has lowered over the years when The Kilties started to embrace the "all age" format years ago. It's in the low to mid 30's. We have some "seasoned" ultra talented valuable vets who bring up the age a bit. And we have 13 people wearing "ole phart" makeup for "giggles". Which, if you knew "Giggles" you'd wear her make up too!! b**bs

But back to drill and Jeff's general comment which flows across the whole activity.............the music mostly dictates the velocity. A ballad is a ballad, a march is a march, etc. Most of The Kilties show (timewise) was running at either 152 and 160.

BUT, that's not the important thing. This over 70 year "study" explains it all. CLICK HERE!!

Edited by bill

but it doesnt have to be all fast all the time. here and there, when it makes sense can do wonders

Maybe it was just our good technique that made it look easier than it was? There were a couple sets that were 6 to 5. And had we not marched the ballads at almost 160 (double time) there would have been lots of 6 to 5's and 4 to 5's. Granted that I wasn't entirely sure why most of the natural 6 to 5 type sets occurred during the drum feature.

Scores in general seemed to favor us in the box and not favor us on the field. One would think field scores would be mostly technique, with some demand/execution. Maybe the judges just don't understand that the Kilties style is to almost emphasize the side to side sway because of the kilt. As opposed to the usual tendancy to minimize this movement in most corps.

Either way, we had a great show, and got our highest score. Unfortunately very few people got to see it, and with the potential condition of the video, that's the way it's gonna stay. As others have said, the greatest show never seen at DCA.

could be you made it look easier. odd that you do better in the box than on the field....as for the Kiltie style and judges understanding, to me it would seem the Kilt would almost be like the bell bottom at cabs...an advantage rather than a distraction.

could be you made it look easier. odd that you do better in the box than on the field....as for the Kiltie style and judges understanding, to me it would seem the Kilt would almost be like the bell bottom at cabs...an advantage rather than a distraction.

Unless terribly ill-fitted, or making a new fashion statement, traditionally a kilt does not go down to the top of the shoe. :)

Here's the proper ## KILT WEARING ETIQUETTE ## b**bs

Just pointing out the obvious here, but if men in Kilts were to march 4 to 5's at 180 bpm, I think we'd be getting more of a show than we paid for, dontchathink?

:)

We put in "hip/ball" moves as apart of our basics program to get a little "fling". A "fling" with 4 to 5's at 180bpm, that'll show ya a big......HELLO!! b**bs

"I'm out there Jerry, and lovin' every minute of it!!"

~Kramer~