Not good...not good

There is a place for DCI, there is a place for DCA, and there is a place for BOA. This is not a competition between DCI, DCA and BOA...that is just silly. We all do the same thing, even if some of the rules and means are different.

And lets be honest, there are things that DCA corps are able to do differently or better than a DCI corps could do (like fit into people's real lives, and entertain in a slightly more old-fashioned manner....don't flame me for that please...), and DCI corps have opportunities that DCA corps wont (like 3 straight months on everyday rehearsals...lets face it, DCI corps have the ability to achieve at higher levels than DCA corps do...don't flame me for that either please...) and BOA groups have the ability to be much more experimental since they have built-in fan groups that just won't jump ship (band parents, students, etc...). There are more, but there are some significant differences between what each of these variations on "our theme" can and can't do. But ultimately we all make up the same "industry" and should be supportive of our differences and strengths.

M

You win! buy this person a beer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You win! buy this person a beer

Agreed and will buy the second beer. And this is coming from a person who is not a big Div I fan and haven't seen a MB show in 20+ years. (That might change this fall for corps reasons :drool: ).

I'd just add Minis and Alumnis corps in the "There's a place for...." mix as they are finding their place in the activity and growing also.

No, it is good. You just don’t get it right

DCI is trying to grow the ‘sport’ so that more kids can get involved

Although with fewer corps, I guess they don’t need as many kids

*logic Block*

So how is that goal of DCIs working?

If its accepted that fewer corps are just a sign of the times why do they need to grow the sport with the kids?

What, doesn’t DCI think kids get enough rejection?

Hey, maybe then DCI will start pandering to us geezers then, you know the ones with the money to spend that they so desperately want to get their hands on…

Naw

Oh and DCIU did kill some smaller mid-west corps….

See a few years ago we had this DCM thing; they had a regularly scheduled championship. All DCM corps had to go to the championship where their placement would determine the amount of show money they would receive at following DCM shows, which show also bank-rolled a good chuck of DCM

One year, the top DCM and thus the top DCI corps, but only the chosen few corps (the ones will clout in DCI) decided to boycott the DCM show in favor of a DCI tour that would take them far, far away from their Midwest stomping grounds

Well, DCM lost its draw, many of its member corps and a ton of money…no more little regional shows and no more pay outs to little regional corps

But those big corps (DCI is made up of a few Corps, right) now could own the market and the ‘sport’ and bring all the spoils to themselves

Yes, monopolies are always good for us consumers

I'm insane over the whole DCI issue. You don't need to be a Six Sigma Black Belt to read the numbers. PLOT, PLOT, PLOT!!! If you plot the declining numbers (even factoring in the available population AND increased participation in DCA & BOA) the slope will still resemble an Olympic ski jump.

Get real you DCI defenders! If I had JMP on this computer, I'd run a prediction based on the formula of decline and give you the year that only 11 corps show up for DCI Championships. BUT, I guarantee if something is not done to support 2/3 corps, it WILL be in my lifetime. I'm 44...

Edited by dlp40

No, it is good. You just don’t get it right

DCI is trying to grow the ‘sport’ so that more kids can get involved

Although with fewer corps, I guess they don’t need as many kids

*logic Block*

So how is that goal of DCIs working?

If its accepted that fewer corps are just a sign of the times why do they need to grow the sport with the kids?

What, doesn’t DCI think kids get enough rejection?

*snip*

I think that DCI is thinking by statistics. There were many Div II&III, even bottom Div I corps in the '06 season who were not able to fill their corps. Are you saying that there should be more corps, when many of the existing corps weren't even able to come close to filling their ranks? There were many fine corps with great staff that kids simply didn't know about, just for the reason that they got very little exposure. From speaking with many of the people I marched with in Div II over the summer, very few people would have known about the corps if a friend had not told them.

When a potential MM gets online to find out more about DCI, they see only the top Div I's, and many have no idea what goes on in Div II or III. Because there's no exposure, they assume that the lower divisions aren't really drum corps, and are simply places to march for people who can't make a "good" corps.

I marched with a Div II, and I had a very similar experience to Div I members. We had a full tour, had a great staff, and a well designed show. I had a blast, and am planning on returning for the '07 season.

I'm also bringing a friend or two. I figure that I'll recruit to make my corps better, since DCI won't.

Oh and DCIU did kill some smaller mid-west corps….

See a few years ago we had this DCM thing; they had a regularly scheduled championship. All DCM corps had to go to the championship where their placement would determine the amount of show money they would receive at following DCM shows, which show also bank-rolled a good chuck of DCM

One year, the top DCM and thus the top DCI corps, but only the chosen few corps (the ones will clout in DCI) decided to boycott the DCM show in favor of a DCI tour that would take them far, far away from their Midwest stomping grounds

Well, DCM lost its draw, many of its member corps and a ton of money…no more little regional shows and no more pay outs to little regional corps

But those big corps (DCI is made up of a few Corps, right) now could own the market and the ‘sport’ and bring all the spoils to themselves

Yes, monopolies are always good for us consumers

Wait a minute--Who serves who in this activity? Who is the victim here? DCM? Did DCM exist to serve the corps, or did the corps exist to serve DCM?

Before you villify the D1 corps for putting their own needs first, let's not forget that this activity is about THE CORPS (and by extension, the kids), not the organizations that supposedly serve them.

However, I can see how--to some degree--the smaller corps got caught up in a power struggle between DCM and its Div. 1 corps. And while there were some negative impacts from the move from a DCM/DCI summer to a full DCI summer, ultimately that is what the D1 corps felt was best for their interests. Why should they have to stay in a situation that wasn't working for them anymore? Especially when DCM was made aware of the issues and still failed to improve their "service"????

I'm not saying the move from DCM to DCI wasn't without consequence, but lets make sure we understand who serves whom...

M

Edited by OMello1

I'm insane over the whole DCI issue. You don't need to be a Six Sigma Black Belt to read the numbers. PLOT, PLOT, PLOT!!! If you plot the declining numbers (even factoring in the available population AND increased participation in DCA & BOA) the slope will still resemble an Olympic ski jump.

Get real you DCI defenders! If I had JMP on this computer, I'd run a prediction based on the formula of decline and give you the year that only 11 corps show up for DCI Championships. BUT, I guarantee if something is not done to support 2/3 corps, it WILL be in my lifetime. I'm 44...

Sure. But I think if you look at the actual discussion going on, you'll see that instead of simply giving out numbers, people, both pro and anti DCI, are giving their rationales for, among other things, WHAT has caused it, WHY it happened, and WHAT can or cannot be done about it by DCI, DCA, etc. Obviously, opinions vary.

In other words, you have a graph. So what? The "so what" questions are what people are actually discussing here.

OK, just an observation...

There's been roughly 20-something D1's for a while - roughly.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of the total number of corps.

Most of the general loss has been in D2/3.

A record 4,190 people showed up to all the D2/3 finals events this year -- highest in ten years.

I think there might have been 14 people at D2 prelims when it started that bought a ticket.

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there to hear it, did it make noise?

"There are three types of lies........... Lies, (expletive) lies, and statistics!"

Winston Churchill