DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

No disrespect to Havey Seeds, but Boys of 76 won 4 titles in a row in the 20s; New Orleans in 1922, San Francisco in 1923, St. Paul in 1924 and Omaha in 1925. They were 3rd in Philly in 1926, 5th in Paris in 1927, 10th in San Antonio in 1928, and 15th out of 118 competing corps in Louisville in 1929. They rebounded to take 2nd in Boston in 1930, won prelims in Detroit in 1931 (dropped to 4th in finals). They didn't attend in 1932 in Portland.

A complete history of the corps can be found here:

http://www.racinekiltiealumni.org/Boys_of_76.html

Thanks for the detail.

Two legendary names in the activity. A real irony after all this discussion of the 20s and 30s is that both corps had a resurgence in the early 70s. Dave "Big Daddy" Richards taught both and there were a few Miami guys who marched with '76 at DCA. I'm told that corps (forget the year) was severely shafted.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny...after supporting the corps from outside the NE throughout this thread, i get a PM telling me i am anti any corps not from the NE.

####, and here i've bought all this stuff from the Renegades, CV, MBI, the Kilties and Govies over the years.

Thanks for the detail.

Two legendary names in the activity. A real irony after all this discussion of the 20s and 30s is that both corps had a resurgence in the early 70s. Dave "Big Daddy" Richards taught both and there were a few Miami guys who marched with '76 at DCA. I'm told that corps (forget the year) was severely shafted.

How does 1970 sound Wayne? Corps sounds pretty good on the CD.

1974 Boys/Spirit came in next to last at DCA and we came in last. Talked to a couple of members during Finals and they were surprised they beat someone. I just turned 17 and had a great time talking to them (wow, you came the whole way from Wisconsin :unsure: ). Still remember Crusaders were on the field while we talked.

funny...after supporting the corps from outside the NE throughout this thread, i get a PM telling me i am anti any corps not from the NE.

####, and here i've bought all this stuff from the Renegades, CV, MBI, the Kilties and Govies over the years.

So when you buying a tshirt from us, Jeff? If you promise to wear it to the next drum corps event you go to, I will give you a Chop Naked tshirt for free. :-) We do have a slightly less questionable tshirt if that one is a bit much for you.

Bob

Edited by USNA90_Mello

Bob,

I wanted to get one this year, but it was too wet to care. Next year i'd imagine i'll hit your booth.

and the next drum corps event i'll be at is the first Westshore alumni rehearsal in late january.......that shirt would shock those guys, cause usually i wear my "#### you you ####### ####" shirt

:P

A couple of thoughts...

I know the NE DCA Corps like to advertise themselves as inexpensive alternatives to DCI. Where tour fees and such for a Div 1 approaching or exceeding $3000, and your average DCA corps dues being $200-400, I can see why the DCA corps stay local.

I understand that Renegades corps dues exceed $1000, but, considering that they fly out to finals every year I'd expect this.

I know the west coast would love to have a NE corps come out for a show during the season. However, with most people's work schedules and the like, it might not be possible.

I like this idea DCI has come out with. I don't think it's their attempt to take over AA corps. They recognize that we're all in this together and it would be in their best interest to help AA corps improve.

DCA can do more - Allow DCI sanctioned shows that AA corps participate in and are scored on DCA sheets to count towards membership. Assist the west coast in more ways, and the other regions as well. (DCA-C and DCA-S)

Nothing is perfect. However, this is a good start. Lets see DCA pick up the ball and run with it, and actually work with DCI to make this advantageous to both organizations, and the corps they represent.

A couple of thoughts...

I know the NE DCA Corps like to advertise themselves as inexpensive alternatives to DCI. Where tour fees and such for a Div 1 approaching or exceeding $3000, and your average DCA corps dues being $200-400, I can see why the DCA corps stay local.

Heck, when I marched Empire Statesmen at the beginning of the millenium, I didn't have to pay tour fees, just work 3 of their bingos during rehearsal weekends. Local members worked 6. In 2001, when the corps went to Europe, we could work extra bingos to earn credit for the trip. I don't know if this is still the case, so perhaps a current ES member reading this thread could chime in and help a brother out.

I understand that Renegades corps dues exceed $1000, but, considering that they fly out to finals every year I'd expect this.

I know the west coast would love to have a NE corps come out for a show during the season. However, with most people's work schedules and the like, it might not be possible.

Well, I mentioned the ES trip to Europe and they've done similar trips in the past. Hawthorne is going to Europe this year. Maybe, in the future, instead of a week in Europe, a northeast all-age corps could work out a trip to the west coast for a week, do a few DCI shows during the week or just the shows on the weekend with the west coast all-age corps.

I like this idea DCI has come out with. I don't think it's their attempt to take over AA corps. They recognize that we're all in this together and it would be in their best interest to help AA corps improve.

DCA can do more - Allow DCI sanctioned shows that AA corps participate in and are scored on DCA sheets to count towards membership. Assist the west coast in more ways, and the other regions as well. (DCA-C and DCA-S)

Nothing is perfect. However, this is a good start. Lets see DCA pick up the ball and run with it, and actually work with DCI to make this advantageous to both organizations, and the corps they represent.

The opportunity of the west coast all age corps to compete in venues that would provide shorter travel time, greater fan participation, and possible growth of the activity is great. The fact that DCI has a desire to spearhead that exercise is very unfortunate.

It has been a while, but from my memory I remember Drum Corps International really played hardball with DCM for control of corps and shows. The practice was not to take over DCM but rather run them out of existence. DCI saw the need to take over that venue due to lacking numbers of competitive corps back then and may be looking for new ways to fill lineups as their membership continues to decrease.

DCI charter? What would keep DCI from making amendments to their charter should it fit their desires? Anyone.

As I have participated in and watched DCI over the past 20 years, DCI has shown to be a group of elitist that are focused on the publicity of the activity, not the participants of the activity or the growth of the activity. Maybe someone can share if the DCI board has changed over the past 20 years and how much. There are many non-for-profit organizations, which have many directors/administrators collecting some huge pay.

I do wish this works out for those in the West. Many of us in the Midwest and the East enjoy the results of your hard work and dedication, I just believe by looking at the past that this is not good for the senior activity as a whole. DCA is on the right track and the growing numbers of participants are showing that.

Greg Wiese

Railmen

Bayou City Blues

Empire

Thunderbirds

Tell you what, sweetie. You wear any of the above t shirts and I will , hurts to to say this, wear a Kiltie shirt at DCA next year. Deal ?

Annie

It has been a while, but from my memory I remember Drum Corps International really played hardball with DCM for control of corps and shows. The practice was not to take over DCM but rather run them out of existence. DCI saw the need to take over that venue due to lacking numbers of competitive corps back then and may be looking for new ways to fill lineups as their membership continues to decrease.

Greg Wiese

Railmen

Bayou City Blues

Empire

Thunderbirds

Greg,

I must honestly say that you are off base here. In retrospect, I think it was positive for the Midwest to keep DCM alive until we had DCAC come into the region to fill some show needs. The DCM/DCI thing was a little whacky, I have to say, but now it seems that DCI is going out of their way to accomodate All Age Corps into some of what they do.

Are they focused on the AA experience? no. Do they want to take over or kill AA? no. I think they did lack and still do lack some information about what kind of traveling the AA corps can, and can not do. We are working with DCI to make both associations stronger. The corps' who last participated in DCM did leave the organization with money should they (we/us) choose/need to bring back that association. It is still a little complicated, but I do not hold any ill will toward DCI. We are learning to work with each other in a trustworthy manner. Our regional associations within DCI handle the AA corps a little bit differently, in each region. To some this looks not like equity, but we are all trying to find the best role for AA within an association built to showcase the highest quality youthful participants and drum corps'.

I think the drum corps community should give this a chance. MBI will continue our focus as an AA corps. We run a DCAC show and will compete as AA during DCI, DCAC and DCA finals competitions (and even the DCA circuit, should a show end up close to our area and we can pair it with another show opportunity). It is definately not worth breaking the bank for a corps to travel. Maybe between DCI and DCA we can figure out how to make some AA travel work nationwide, while keeping the AA corps focus on regional events and travel.

Create peace,

Brent Turner

DCM Chair

2004-2005

MBI Corps Director

Edited by Brent