Disappoited with Bluecoats

Go Bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wrote for Plymoth Canton back in the late 90's, and he currently writes for Stephen F. Austin in Sugarland Tx, and Center Grove HS in Indiana. He writes for several others, but those two are two of the biggest names.

Edited by Steve709

Ok, i see no need to bash Mitch Rodgers. If someone doesnt like the way he writes drill, thats fine. Thats your rightfull opinion. But I am amazed in your ability to already predict the downfall of the 07 bluecoats w/ Mitch. If im correct, i think blue has increased in placement since at least 2002 with mitch on staff. I am aware that their music scores are ahead of the visual ones, as is the blucoat staff. Was the drill in 06 effictive? i say yes. Could it have been more? Sure! What the bluecoats are/ have been doing over the past few years is making a push to become part of the upper level of the activity. It hasnt been a fast climb, but it seems to be working. They are taking small steps every year, such as the hiring of Fairbanks this season. And hiring Drew Shanefield last season. I know one person isnt going to change the world, but little by little the bluecoats are beating people by slowly adding the right people and chipping away at the big dogs. In my personal opinion i believe mitch is a good fit for blue. Hell, Mitch wrote 3 different endings to the 06 program last season. That seems like he has some ammount of commitment and or passion to blue. Im not saying that Blue is gonna win it all next season, but if you dont like his writing, thats fine. Just dont slam on one guy. But it is obious that blue is dealing with their biggest weakness. Basing the bluecoats downfall for next season on the fact that mitch writes the drill is immature.

No it is an opinion, backed up by facts from the recaps. I never represented it as truth, just my opinion. I also never said Mitch was a bad writer, he just has limitations. No one will know who is right until next August on finals night. I am just saying I don't think they will finish higher than 4 or 5 and afterlooking at the recap it will be because of visual.

Please understand I think Mitch has done some great things to move the Bluecoats up. He replaced people who had gotten them to a certain level as those people had done previously. My only assertation is that it was time for the next move.

Nice job for picking that up.

I chose the name for many reasons:

1. I love pop culture references that most folks don't get.

2. "The Shawshank Redemption" is perhaps my favorite movie.

3. It was filmed about 35 minutes from where I used to live.

4. I have a penchant for twitchy actors like Steve Buscemi, Gary Busey, Brad Dourif, and John Malkovich.

Would you rather me change my username to Captain Howdy?

Elmo Blatch (I used to have his picture in my avatar)

The fact still remains: he killed two people. That was his only role in the movie, to be the guy who really killed two people. So what does this say about you, Elmo? Hmmm?

I disagree with the initial poster. He is certainly entitled his opinion, but I think we all need to remember that the Bluecoats are about more than winning, top 3, top 5, etc.

Consider that the corps has grown and competed successfuly for many, many years. The Bluecoats were very successful prior to 1987, their first year in the DCI top 12. They continue to be successful to this day. Perhaps their competitive placement has been at its highest in the past 2 years, but those successes pale in comparison to running a healthy, well-funded organization that truly believes its mission of giving kids opportunities to learn, perform, and grow from music, and that the furthuring of those skills and other important aspects of corps life are at the root of what the Bluecoats experience is truly about.

Having said that, I find it hard to imagine someone being dissapointed in the corps for the staff it has hired, or not hired, when the instructors and administrators who have given their time over the years have been the reason for the corps' success. Without the people we have now, and those we had way back when, we would not be where we are today. Some may say "you've gone as far as you can with certain folks," and so they feel we should dump them and just move on, but to do that would really be moving in a completely different direction. How can you dump those who have brought you success? And I am not saying it doesn' happen in this activity, but it IS a question we all need to ask. At what cost are you willing to move up one place at DCI Finals. When it comes to the stability of a corps, I hope all of you know that it is possible to place higher while taking 3 or 4 steps backwards as an organization. And after DCI Finals, the corps will have the rest of the off-season to deal with those steps backwards. That is not where this organization is heading.

Do the Bluecoats want to win DCI? Sure. Why not? That would be a wonderful present for the corps. It would be something that we could all remember for years to come. And believe me, the corps is working toward that goal. But let's also realize just how hard that goal is, and let's try to get there the right way. And as much as we want a DCI Championship, what the True-Blue fans really want is to see their favorite corps continue on for a long time. They want the members of the corps to continue to benefit from the great lessons and music education that comes with being a Bluecoat, and they want to shout BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as they're being entertained by one of the best corps in the land.

I disagree with the initial poster. He is certainly entitled his opinion, but I think we all need to remember that the Bluecoats are about more than winning, top 3, top 5, etc.

Consider that the corps has grown and competed successfuly for many, many years. The Bluecoats were very successful prior to 1987, their first year in the DCI top 12. They continue to be successful to this day. Perhaps their competitive placement has been at its highest in the past 2 years, but those successes pale in comparison to running a healthy, well-funded organization that truly believes its mission of giving kids opportunities to learn, perform, and grow from music, and that the furthuring of those skills and other important aspects of corps life are at the root of what the Bluecoats experience is truly about.

Having said that, I find it hard to imagine someone being dissapointed in the corps for the staff it has hired, or not hired, when the instructors and administrators who have given their time over the years have been the reason for the corps' success. Without the people we have now, and those we had way back when, we would not be where we are today. Some may say "you've gone as far as you can with certain folks," and so they feel we should dump them and just move on, but to do that would really be moving in a completely different direction. How can you dump those who have brought you success? And I am not saying it doesn' happen in this activity, but it IS a question we all need to ask. At what cost are you willing to move up one place at DCI Finals. When it comes to the stability of a corps, I hope all of you know that it is possible to place higher while taking 3 or 4 steps backwards as an organization. And after DCI Finals, the corps will have the rest of the off-season to deal with those steps backwards. That is not where this organization is heading.

Do the Bluecoats want to win DCI? Sure. Why not? That would be a wonderful present for the corps. It would be something that we could all remember for years to come. And believe me, the corps is working toward that goal. But let's also realize just how hard that goal is, and let's try to get there the right way. And as much as we want a DCI Championship, what the True-Blue fans really want is to see their favorite corps continue on for a long time. They want the members of the corps to continue to benefit from the great lessons and music education that comes with being a Bluecoat, and they want to shout BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as they're being entertained by one of the best corps in the land.

Don't disagree with any thing you wrote. Idon't think the drill designer changing would change the management the attitude or anything else that makes the corps a success unless Mitch is a big financial supporter of the corps.

The corps will be great. The management will be sound. I just think they missed an opportunity.

the corps is becoming a major competitor, and the staff is growing with them.

i haven't seen any evidence of growing pains in their scores.

it's great to have a staff that works well together and continues to put together show designs that are entertaining and progressivly moving them towards fighting for the top spot.

no reason to fix something that isn't broken.