• A lot
    • A little
    • Hadn't noticed

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point whatsoever to amps.

Why don't you try telling that to the front ensemble arrangers, instructors, and members who have benefitted from amps through increased sound quality, more freedom in writing, and more musical playing? Just because you don't understand doesn't mean they're useless.

In response to the post about Carolina Crown's pit, I agree about them seeming to be 'non-existent.' I think this was more of an issue of the writing. I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I heard and saw of the front ensemble writing, it was very 'background-ish.' No offense to anybody affiliated with them, just how I feel.

Why don't you try telling that to the front ensemble arrangers, instructors, and members who have benefitted from amps through increased sound quality, more freedom in writing, and more musical playing?

Try justifying it to me and the rest of us then. How has technique changed ?? Has the pit become smaller ?? Have parts been written differently ?? Hearng a "udo" is hardly grounds for changing the fundamentals of an established medium.

Increased sound quality ?? prove it. More excitement ?? Expanded creativity ?? Better enjoyment, greater crowds, more educated individuals playing the instruments.......???

I'm waiting.

~G~

huh?

just to let you know... judging by your signature, you don't want peopel to know where you marched... I'd take it out of your DCP profile.

~>conner

Try justifying it to me and the rest of us then. How has technique changed ?? Has the pit become smaller ?? Have parts been written differently ?? Hearng a "udo" is hardly grounds for changing the fundamentals of an established medium.

Increased sound quality ?? prove it. More excitement ?? Expanded creativity ?? Better enjoyment, greater crowds, more educated individuals playing the instruments.......???

I'm waiting.

~G~

In front ensembles today, the overall approach to playing the instruments has become a lot less...barbaric. No, the pit hasn't become smaller, and why should it? Why would you take those spots away from percussionists? Parts have definitely been written differently, there are alot of very nice things being written for the pit that sound really great and cool...more than an amped udo drum... :doh:

I can't speak for anybody else, but the writing and being able to hear really nice mallet textures/sounds is pretty exciting to me.

In front ensembles today, the overall approach to playing the instruments has become a lot less...barbaric. No, the pit hasn't become smaller, and why should it? Why would you take those spots away from percussionists? Parts have definitely been written differently, there are alot of very nice things being written for the pit that sound really great and cool...more than an amped udo drum... :doh:

I can't speak for anybody else, but the writing and being able to hear really nice mallet textures/sounds is pretty exciting to me.

So to you, all the interference and crackling was worth it?

Also, I'd have to disagree with you on the "barbaric". Having been a member of a pit in the late 90's, I see virtually no difference in the playing styles. I'd have to say most of the difference is that last year, the board controller could amplify (forgive the pun) or reduce the dynamics more than could be played. The louds are louder and the softs are softer because they are being mixed that way, not because of suddenly more touch in playing.

In front ensembles today, the overall approach to playing the instruments has become a lot less...barbaric. No, the pit hasn't become smaller, and why should it?

Because that was one of the MAJOR selling points when it was passed. Pit sizes would be smaller, requiring less instruments and saving the corps money.

Why would you take those spots away from percussionists? Parts have definitely been written differently, there are alot of very nice things being written for the pit that sound really great and cool...more than an amped udo drum... :beer:

I'd rather do without that and all the static crackling feedback and mixing problems. Get rid of them and the problem is solved. Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

if used for just the pit, i can deal with it, as long as it's done well, and IMO, the cadets seem to be the king of amp issues.