Early 2007 Predictions

what about the horrible camp turnout ? Seems no one is buying . Is it time for George to retire ?

I'm certain that many other corps would gladly take The Cadets' "horrible camp turnout." They won the championship in 2005. That would be like George Steinbrenner retiring a year after the Yankees won the World Series, after they got knocked out in the first round of play-offs. I'm pretty sure that Hopkins knows what he's doing and he won't disappoint.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain that many other corps would gladly take The Cadets' "horrible camp turnout." They won the championship in 2005. That would be like George Steinbrenner retiring a year after the Yankees won the World Series, after they got knocked out in the first round of play-offs. I'm pretty sure that Hopkins knows what he's doing and he won't disappoint.

Experience has taught me that camp turnout isn't about how many people show up, but if the right 135 people show up. And that's something that doesn't show until much later.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

do you think with over 400 at camp and a much better design team including HOF Mark Sylvester thatthey might move up ?

I don't know about the Sylvesster thing but here is what I can say. The 400+ needs to be understood clearly. As has been pointed out several times on this board and I believe once by one of their own, only 90ish of those 400+ were horn players. That is NOT a good sign to me at all when some of the corps they are trying to beat have that number VERY much beat. The rest were drummers and guard, most drummers. My guess is that their drumline will be utterly amazing. Hornline, who knows? As one person pointed out, it's about getting the best 135 out of that 400+. Maybe all 90 were stellar and out of that will come 60-70 great brass players. Then again, maybe not. What I can tell you is that even in light of what Jake said about the "135", you have much better odds if your hornline numbers are up with the rest of the corps.

Edited by passionatedc

Problem is, if one or more of the corps people are predictiong to move up into finals actually do, then somebody has to fall out. It's just logical at this early point to push out the 11 and 12 place corps from last year.

Agree. But I think Glassmen are the more likely canidates to drop. They have lost alot of momentum in the last few years where in contrast, Spirit seems to be holding tight and maybe even gaining momentum. I know, someone will point out that Glassmen intercepted a bunch of Madison staff. Ok, where did that get them?

and on a side note:

While I would love to see Crossmen back in finals (one of my fav DC moments of all time is watching Crossmen's flam jam drumline warm up in 94) I think a lot of people putting them as high as 8th place is a little rediculous. Sure they had 400 auditioners, but if reports are right as many as 300 of them were percussion, and the brass turnout was quite young. Chances are they will have a solid drumline but that in and of itself will not get them to 8th place.

5. Phantom Regiment – They may take high drums again, but the book is iffy at best and they will have a down guard year. Again, visual caption will be their downfall.

Normally I stay out of these type of posts, but I can't not reply to this.

Why do so many people insist on saying that visual is PR's weakness, downfall, etc.?

Yes, PR had some rough years in the visual captions from 1998 til about 2002. That is NOT the case the past few years. Just because it was, doesn't mean it is for all time. Things do change. PR has rarely been a power in drums, but won drums this year. Cavaliers used to have weak hornlines in the 80s; now they are consistently terrific. BD has generally been great in brass, but wasn't nearly as strong this year. Actually, history would show that PR is strongest in visual as it's the caption PR has won the most times.

Things change.

In case some of you forgot:

2005 -- PR finished 2nd in vis perf and earned 3rd in vis GE and vis ens.

2006 -- PR won vis GE, took 2nd in vis end and 3rd in vis perf.

Hardly the "downfall" of the corps.

G

Normally I stay out of these type of posts, but I can't not reply to this.

Why do so many people insist on saying that visual is PR's weakness, downfall, etc.?

Yes, PR had some rough years in the visual captions from 1998 til about 2002. That is NOT the case the past few years. Just because it was, doesn't mean it is for all time. Things do change. PR has rarely been a power in drums, but won drums this year. Cavaliers used to have weak hornlines in the 80s; now they are consistently terrific. BD has generally been great in brass, but wasn't nearly as strong this year. Actually, history would show that PR is strongest in visual as it's the caption PR has won the most times.

Things change.

In case some of you forgot:

2005 -- PR finished 2nd in vis perf and earned 3rd in vis GE and vis ens.

2006 -- PR won vis GE, took 2nd in vis end and 3rd in vis perf.

Hardly the "downfall" of the corps.

G

Because people don't associate Phantom with the visual, they associate Phantom with the music and sound. Last year was the first time in many years I could say Phantom's visual was one of the best in DCI. And when I say best, I don't mean from a technical standpoint. I mean from an excitement standpoint.

Edited by dciguy01

man, its looking to me that every single corps that was a semi finalist this past year will now be a finalist bc aparently everyone KNOWS something about their corps that is just going to make them all unstopable. it would be nice if this was the case, buts its funny how every single year is THE year for corps "X" bc they found some magic dust lying around and everyone else will be eating their words come finnals night. just thought i'd say that