Vets Getting Cut

Actually, he is not a proven vet - he's just a hole filler. Three weeks is not enough to earn veteran status (I know, I know...even one show wearing the uniform is technically enough). It just seems fake to say that someone is good enough to run a marathon because they jumped in and ran the last quarter mile.

That guy would have to have one amazing attitude, and show some incredible improvement in his ability to play between the end of the season and the first camp - at that point he might earn the right to come to another camp. It is complacity that cannot be afforded.

You're getting hung up on minutia.

So change the scenario to a woodwind that marched all season and could play the horn just ok by the next November and the rest of the auditionees are still of far superior talent.

The discussion is not about the fact that it happens - it's about whether it's right.

Exactly!

from the original poster: "It seems most corps have policies that all vets must audition with everyone else."

and: "My personal opinion is that loyalty and experience should be rewarded with an

automatic spot, even if there are rookies with more raw talent."

If all 135 spots are open to anyone each season in any corps, then the activity has gone a long way from what it once was.

This is a value issue and essentially a corps that makes vets audition has no values.(added: or has no values that they should be holding up to the world as being anything special).

Regards,

John Swartz

heh, just noticed you are the original poster.

Edited by sarnia sam

Why do you think drum corps should operate any differently than anything else? People are expected to have loyalty in their jobs and people are expected to have loyalty in military service but individuals are fired/replaced/outsourced and discharged all the time.

So, like, you don't think that there's a fundamental difference between drum corps (a youth activity) and a regular job? Much less the military ...

Sure, everyone agrees that slackers and troublemakers can and should be asked not to return. But cutting a vet just because a rookie has a better audition is pretty low, in my opinion.

Exactly!

from the original poster: "It seems most corps have policies that all vets must audition with everyone else."

and: "My personal opinion is that loyalty and experience should be rewarded with an

automatic spot, even if there are rookies with more raw talent."

If all 135 spots are open to anyone each season in any corps, then the activity has gone a long way from what it once was.

This is a value issue and essentially a corps that makes vets audition has no values.(added: or has no values that they should be holding up to the world as being anything special).

Regards,

John Swartz

heh, just noticed you are the original poster.

A corps that holds vets up to a standard by making them audition has no values? Are you serious?

A corps that holds vets up to a standard by making them audition has no values? Are you serious?

The vet already made the corps, or is that just a technical point?

They obviously don't value the contribution vets made to getting the corps to the beginning of a new season. They don't value loyalty. They don't value the things kids give up to be in a corps.

They're basically not even saying thanks; just get in line with everyone else, we don't care who you are or what you did for the corps.

If I had had to audition again for the corps I marched in, a drumline that beat everyone else, significantly I might add, I would be thinking very hard about what they thought of the sweat and hard work I invested the previous season. And, I would be very open to options with other corps that expressed a desire to have me in their line.

I'm astounded that people keep arguing vets should re-audition. I know who I wouldn't want on my team. That notion is everything drum crops is not supposed to be teaching. Team work is what its supposed to be about, but apparently its devolved to everyone for themselves; management and members.

Regards,

John Swartz

The vet already made the corps, or is that just a technical point?

They obviously don't value the contribution vets made to getting the corps to the beginning of a new season. They don't value loyalty. They don't value the things kids give up to be in a corps.

They're basically not even saying thanks; just get in line with everyone else, we don't care who you are or what you did for the corps.

If I had had to audition again for the corps I marched in, a drumline that beat everyone else, significantly I might add, I would be thinking very hard about what they thought of the sweat and hard work I invested the previous season. And, I would be very open to options with other corps that expressed a desire to have me in their line.

I'm astounded that people keep arguing vets should re-audition. I know who I wouldn't want on my team. That notion is everything drum crops is not supposed to be teaching. Team work is what its supposed to be about, but apparently its devolved to everyone for themselves; management and members.

Regards,

John Swartz

You act as if this is a wide spread epidemic of corps cutting vets based on nothing but their talent. That's not the case so you are fighting a strawman.

My experience long long ago in a galaxy far far away was, I walked on mid season (after the mini tour. season back then was a lot longer) with the experience of having attended two of the winter camps. Sky Ryders was hurtin for members in 85 and the OZ show looked real bad when I saw it from the stands during the mini tour. The show was totally revamped for the main second tour.

I didn't audition for 86 due to lack of funds.

I auditioned in fall 86 for 87 season, made the line and attended everything from the 1st winter camp to Finals. I saw a Vet get cut at the beginning of the season due to the (I know everything attitude). It was a shame because the guy was a real good performer but a bad attitude from 1 person can make the season hell for the Corps.

I auditioned in fall 87 for 88 season and made the line but couldn't get the money together for 88. (parents would not foot the bill for both me and sis) As I recall, that last audition went smooth. My chops were still good from the previous season which really helped.

out.

Edited by Kansan

You act as if this is a wide spread epidemic of corps cutting vets based on nothing but their talent. That's not the case so you are fighting a strawman.

OK, OK, I'm getting it now. We have a gigantic failure to comprehend at work here.

The key word in this whole thing is AUDITION.

Most of you who are arguing that its OK to cut a vet are confusing the initial question, my responces to that and my responses to your getting it wrong with a corps member getting KICKED OUT.

There's a vast difference between the two.

The only straw man I'm fighting are several of you who don't know how to read and understand at the same time.

I stand by my position, making a vet audition again and again is flat out wrong.

If a corps member loses his spot at an audition he is getting cut based on nothing but his talent. If the corps is using that as an excuse because of other things then the corps is being dishonest.

The secondary issue is A CORPS MEMBER LOSING HIS SPOT and you all acting like that's OK. I'm worried about this generation if that typifies the kind of reasoning you learned. Actually I'm more worried for my generation.

Regards,

John Swartz

Edited by sarnia sam