Vets Getting Cut

As a staff member, the only reason I would recommend a vet be cut is if it is obvious they haven't mad effort to get better in the off season. If a vet comes back and is ready to kick butt, they are fine. I think they need to put in some off season work.

It seems most corps have policies that all vets must audition with everyone else.

However - I don't think I've ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut.

1. Are there corps that say returning vets automatically have a spot if they want it?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a returning vet not making the cut?

My personal opinion is that loyalty and experience should be rewarded with an

automatic spot, even if there are rookies with more raw talent.

(Of course, there should be conditions - like making a certain numbers of camps,

paying dues on time, etc).

Hey Bart,

It happens.. or did. I beat out a vet for a spot in the pit at Southwind in 1992. I felt bad for a moment or two. He should have practiced more I guess.

I think making vets try out keeps them on their toes and keeps them from becoming complacent. Yet, most vets are going to retain their spots due to their experience and all that comes with marching with a corps.

Go Bloo!

To get through a season you don't need a superstar - you need a person who you would share a foxhole with. Those are the ones who always come through for you.

More often than you might think. Most corps, especially those in the top 5, only care about having the best members on the field that give the corps the best chance to win a ring.

I heard BD does not cut vets, but don't quote me on that.

I'll quote you on it because you're correct. BD does not have vets reaudition. Rarely some people are not "invited back" the next season, but there is no vet audition.

My opinion is kind of torn... on one hand, its good to have a lot of really great people on the field. On the other, if you have a vet who isnt practicing as much as a potential rookie, he or she will most likely perform better in the long run, since they've "been there done that" before and adapt back to corps life easier.

Either way works well i suppose.

Here's my take on it for whatever it's worth. I wouldn't cut a vet, as long as they survived a season and have proven themselves worthy of wearing the uniform. On the other hand, if they get lazy during the off-season and come to camp ill-prepared, I would cut them in a heartbeat. To do otherwise wouldn't be fair to the rookies who are busting their butts trying to make the corps.

If I was a corps director, my policy would be to never cut vets. Obvious exceptions would be horrible attitudes, non-attendance and a few other things that would cause problems. But less talent than a rookie or can't play a horn as well as August? Bogus. There are such things as honor and loyalty.....and it goes both ways.

The only excuse for cutting a vet with heart is that your corps policy is "win at all costs". In that case, I hope you cut a vet and they go to your rival corps and kick you captial A all over the feild. Also, I hope the rookie you gave his/her positioin too sees that you have no dedication to your members and quits in death camp to attend a summer wind ensemble festival. In addition, I hope the vet scores it big in his/her career years later and makes a giant donation to his/her new home.

Wow! You are incredible! You should be a corps director! NOT!

Look at it this way...you're a corps director. You have a responsibility to the kids that march in your corps that you give them the best experience possible. That means different things at different levels, of course--it's not a constant thing. Hypothetically, you are the director of a top Div. I corps. You have a legitimate shot at the world championship. There are kids that have been practicing for a lot of years to make your group. They've dreamed of wearing the uniform and playing in an extremely intense, highly competitive environment. They want to win. They want that whole experience, and are willing to work for it--that's why they audition against 600 other people or whatever. That's guts. Guts should be rewarded if it's backed by talent.

Would you seriously ruin their experience to save the experience for one person? Especially if that person isn't adequately prepared to accept the challenge of pushing the corps to be all it can be? The other corps members have to carry that person through the whole summer. Do more to make up for the weak person, perhaps.

Loyalty's great; we shouldn't underestimate how important it is. But, loyalty means that you, as a member, have to prepare and practice and work to keep that spot, earn it every single day, and make the corps all it can be. If you can't or won't do that, you shouldn't have the spot. No one should have the right to hold the corps back.

Needs of the many.

If our activity, just like any other athletic activity is about being the best, then sometimes in a given situation, maybe that vet wasn't gonna cut it with others in the line that year. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Everyone should audition, and if you make it you make it, you don't then try harder next season.

Look at it this way...you're a corps director. You have a responsibility to the kids that march in your corps that you give them the best experience possible. That means different things at different levels, of course--it's not a constant thing. Hypothetically, you are the director of a top Div. I corps. You have a legitimate shot at the world championship. There are kids that have been practicing for a lot of years to make your group. They've dreamed of wearing the uniform and playing in an extremely intense, highly competitive environment. They want to win. They want that whole experience, and are willing to work for it--that's why they audition against 600 other people or whatever. That's guts. Guts should be rewarded if it's backed by talent.

Would you seriously ruin their experience to save the experience for one person? Especially if that person isn't adequately prepared to accept the challenge of pushing the corps to be all it can be? The other corps members have to carry that person through the whole summer. Do more to make up for the weak person, perhaps.

Loyalty's great; we shouldn't underestimate how important it is. But, loyalty means that you, as a member, have to prepare and practice and work to keep that spot, earn it every single day, and make the corps all it can be. If you can't or won't do that, you shouldn't have the spot. No one should have the right to hold the corps back.

Needs of the many.

What he said...

Just because you marched somewhere before doesn't mean that you automatically deserve to go back. Everyone is complaining about top 5 corps only seeking talent, however, at that level who is to say that same person with talent doesn't also have a great attitude.

One caveat to having the right attitude is showing that you have it. Show up at auditions, meet at least a minimum talent requirement at first, and then show that you are willing to push yourself between every camp.

Regiment for example,

600 people show up for a 135 spots (lots of returning vets)

It's a sad fact, but a lot of great talented people with great attitudes will get cut simply because there just are not enough spots - it is the nature of the beast.

Edited by raphael18