Old Senior Corps Photos

I was very new to DCA IN 1980/81....... Prior to 1980 I had only Jr. corps experience (VFW/ AL) AND just one DCI season (1974). As a matter of fact I only heard of one Sr. corps: Pittsburgh Rockets.

My Jr. corps director always talked about them, but I never saw them. Between 1974 and 1980 I picked up an album (vinyl) of a bunch of corps I never heard of. Hurricanes, Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Scout House, Brigadiers And Archer Epler Musketeers...... Hmmm...... Senior corps?

"You mean there's MORE of them besides Pittsburgh Rockets?! (Ironically my best friend Sandy McNeal was marching in The Rockets while I was in my Jr. corps)... I must have worn out that record listening in amazement at soloists we all know today as the Stars of DCA and legendary players!

But I didn't know them at the time. This record was my introduction to Sr. Corps!

Fast forward to 1980 : A friend of mine (Chuck Short) called me one day and said what are you doing this weekend? (Chuck and I were on the road playing Sheraton hotels during the "Disco Era"

and we both marched Jr. corps togeather.) I said: "Nothing". He said we are going to march in a senior corps. It's called Ohio Brass Factory. I thought that was a strange name for a drumcorps but said yes, I'll go. Then, while on our way to the first rehearsal, Chuck told me the corps was in Alliance Ohio.. a 5 HOUR DRIVE, ONE WAY! And we had to do this drive EVERY weekend, all summer!

This Ohio corps was going to a show called DCA (prelims/finals) in Hershey PA. Cool!

Ohio Brass never made the night show, but I was standing next to the bleachers and here comes this HUGE corps Hey, who are you guys? Hurricanes! " HEY! That's one of the corps on that Album I have! 1980 DCA finals and I'm sitting in the stands watching Skyliners just tear the house down!

Hurricanes has this "Drum Major" a Big guy hollering at the audience and they holler back! OH Yeah!

Then the Matadors ....I watch 3 triple tounging soloists play through megaphones... playing like I never heard before! Then Westshoremen Let a flock of birds loose on the field, that refuse to fly!

Then..... The best hornline I EVER heard: Reading Bucaneers!

Now THIS is an introduction to DCA like no other!"Butch, Jimmy, Pepe, George".... Jeez!!

I am hooked!!

1981 season... Ohio Brass Factory shows up for DCA prelims wearing Hard Hats and Shop Coats!

That was fun!! We shoud have kept them on for the whole show! That year Larry Hershman's Westshoremen Invited us to thier regular season show.... Great time! Of course.... Prelims finds Ohio Brass sitting in the stands again as we were just "swamped" by Steel City Ambassadors LOL!!

So.... Here comes this BIG GUY again, with the Hurricanes Strolling down the front sideline with a red wagon and it's got a bucket of DIRT in it that Pepe thrusts his mace in!! LOLOL!!! THE WHOLE SHOW WAS JUST NONSTOP ENTERTAINMENT with Pepe mugging for the crowd, a dancing contrabass player

And just LOUD as possible! I hear Pepe holler: "I got a blue feather"!! And Hurcs win DCA finals!

And today DCA has corps from all over the country, a thriving Alumni corps scene, I&E competition,

Mini Corps, Open and A-Class divisions, And the best "Friday night Party" in the Country in a City

That rolls out the red carpet for all the corps and fans!

And once again: "Entertainment" is KING!!

HB.... I still have a few of those WS "feathers" from the 1980 DCA if your interested...LOL

1981 DCA Finals, DM Podium

89.65 Ct. Hurricanes

89.10 L.I. Sunrisers

88.40 Reading Buccaneers

1981DCAFinalsDrumMajorsPodium-NAMES.jpg

HB.... I still have a few of those WS "feathers" from the 1980 DCA if your interested...LOL

89.65 Ct. Hurricanes

89.10 L.I. Sunrisers

88.40 Reading Buccaneers

Naaahhh.... I still have the rubber chicken I was waving around, hollering: 'I GOT ONE"!

(GREAT photo! Remind me to say hello to Tony Reilly for you, when I get to Racine!)

Edited by hairbear

89.65 Ct. Hurricanes

89.10 L.I. Sunrisers

88.40 Reading Buccaneers

I would love those feathers!

10 corps finals, 11 and 12 performed in exhibition. checked corpsreps

Ah,.............

IMO, there are a couple things wrong with corpsreps............they don't list scores from prelims for all corps, in the 1981 case, they list 12 corps because 11 and 12 played exhibitions, but it lists their prelims scores, which is deceiving,................they probobly should just list the finalists on the first page, then all corps with their prelims scores,........... :devil: .......or something,........... :smile:

Ah,.............

IMO, there are a couple things wrong with corpsreps............they don't list scores from prelims for all corps, in the 1981 case, they list 12 corps because 11 and 12 played exhibitions, but it lists their prelims scores, which is deceiving,................they probobly should just list the finalists on the first page, then all corps with their prelims scores,........... :devil: .......or something,........... :smile:

Noticed that while back and looks like a problem with how the corpsreps database is set up. Nothing against Chris, my guess is he's locked into using the same number of corps when showing "Finals" and using 12 makes the most sense. Yeah I work with databases (mainly programming) and big reason why I'm in retirement countdown mode (7 years 7 months).

Anyway last 12 corps DCA Finals was 1974 (my first year). And think some DCA Prelims are listed (haven't checked for all) but you have to go to the individual corps and go to "scores" and then the individual year... real clunky. Hope being able to see all the scores for a given year is a future change.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Noticed that while back and looks like a problem with how the corpsreps database is set up. Nothing against Chris, my guess is he's locked into using the same number of corps when showing "Finals" and using 12 makes the most sense. Yeah I work with databases (mainly programming) and big reason why I'm in retirement countdown mode (7 years 7 months).

Anyway last 12 corps DCA Finals was 1974 (my first year). And think some DCA Prelims are listed (haven't checked for all) but you have to go to the individual corps and go to "scores" and then the individual year... real clunky. Hope being able to see all the scores for a given year is a future change.

The Historical Scores Archive of corpsreps.com is maintained by Mike Cahill ... and I've found him to be most receptive and responsive to any inconsistemcies I think I may have found ... I'm currently working with him on updating the GNYC and Penn-Jersey Championship shows - to fill in the gaps of some that are missing ... he does his homework and researches what I feed him ... I've thanked him countless times for doing what he does ... I'm sure he would respond to any items that are presented to him for clarification ... the amout of scores and years being dealt with is daunting ... so ... if someting doesn't seem right, point it out directly to Mike or Chris or Ron and they'll look into it and will be grateful ... they really want to get this stuff right ...

Andy "lost in the past" Lisko

Ah,.............

Here ya go.... just scroll down to 1981 and you'll see both Prelims and Finals and special captions listed. Good Boy Ron!! And we'll contact Mike about these as well.

Thanx folks!!SrCorps.Com The 80's section.

The Historical Scores Archive of corpsreps.com is maintained by Mike Cahill ... and I've found him to be most receptive and responsive to any inconsistemcies I think I may have found ... I'm currently working with him on updating the GNYC and Penn-Jersey Championship shows - to fill in the gaps of some that are missing ... he does his homework and researches what I feed him ... I've thanked him countless times for doing what he does ... I'm sure he would respond to any items that are presented to him for clarification ... the amout of scores and years being dealt with is daunting ... so ... if someting doesn't seem right, point it out directly to Mike or Chris or Ron and they'll look into it and will be grateful ... they really want to get this stuff right ...

Andy "lost in the past" Lisko

Yes kudos and :devil: for anyone who puts this info on the Internet for general use. I haven't found anything wrong with the corpsreps scores but my guess is it's not possible for Chris and Mike to show anything other than 12 corps when the Finals screens come up. IMO looks like a limitaion of either the database or screen presentation software and not much they can do about it. Sooooo, just something to keep in mind when looking at the DCA Finals screens.

PS Andy, just sent my check to Bob B at Heritage. :smile:

Here ya go.... just scroll down to 1981 and you'll see both Prelims and Finals and special captions listed. Good Boy Ron!! And we'll contact Mike about these as well.

Thanx folks!!SrCorps.Com The 80's section.

I visit this site often,.................and send along updates.................my comments were refering to the corpsreps site..........

I visit this site often,.................and send along updates.................my comments were refering to the corpsreps site..........

Oh, I know.... and like I said I would.... I have sent Mike the link. I'm sure he'll correct the CorpsReps scores for 1981 as soon as he get's a chance.

Thanx Gary! Hugs!!