Corps Names

The Westshoremen were originally named the Longshoremen, a nod to the Union of fame. However, the Union didn't like the corps using the name, so since the corps home was on the west shore of the Susquehanna River, we became the Westshoremen

Yeah, how many Drum Corps do you know have been threatened with a lawsuit by a major Union? :P Inside joke: After a few years the corps "moved" to Harrisburg which is on the EAST shore of the river and Carlisle which is not near the river at all. :drool:

Don't think anyone remembers how the (Hanover) Lancers got their name anymore. Corps started as AL Post #14 and started being called the Bears or Bairs in the late 40s as Post is name after Harold Bair. (1940s is when lot of corps started using names instead of just Post numbers.) Changed to Lancers in the 50s.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Bill, my initials do not begin with "T" or "J".

I remember the Northernaries, competed against them several times. Kicked their a** also. If they ever beat the Kilts it must have been VERY early in the season and the Kilts were having a real bad day.

From 1953 thru (and including) 1969 when The Northernaires were a "all male" format corps, the only corps in Wisconsin and/or Michigan they did not "best" in that era were the Blue Stars. Other than that, they beat every corps at one time or another. Some on a regular basis.

The Northernaires and Blue Stars first met up in Marion, Wisconsin in "67" (I beleive) and The Northernaires got their (our) butts kicked, not only to the surprise of themselves but also to Blue Stars. The Northernaires did not travel a great deal, but during that time there were plenty of shows to compete in within a reasonable ride which kept them very, very busy.

The management and admistration were always responsible and had a outstanding booster organization. The other "Twin Cities" of Menominee, Michigan and Marinette, Wisconsin were also very supportive as communities. Things changed with the escalation of the draft and Vietnam, inasmuch the membership diminished.

The museum in Menominee, Michigan has a wonderful exhibit about the corps and all their "unhearlded" accomplishments. It has uniforms, pictures, instruments, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Well, the North Coast Rock does not have the storied history we have seen here, but here's how we got our name anyway!

The Greater Cleveland Ohio area is known in this area as the North Coast! We are also home of the Rock and Roll Hall of fame and are considered by many as the birthplace of Rock and Roll (i.e., Moon Dog Coranation Ball). We didn't want to be type cast into the Rock and Roll genre, so we settled on North Coast Rock! I have to admit that I pushed for the name ROCK because Blue Rock was one of my favs in the early 70's!

That's it. Now coming to a stadium near you for the first time this summer,

THE NORTH COAST ROCK!

Tom

The Renegades were a group of folks that split off from another corps that was starting up in NorCal. As I have heard it, they did not like the director of the other corps, so they decided to go off on their own. There were other names discussed, but the Renegades was the name chosen.

Excelsior hails from New York States capital region. Excelsior is on the state seal and means "higher" or "Ever Upward" which is the corps' motto!
As a founding member of Excelsior let me offer the following information on how Excelsior got it's name.

In early 2004 a group of individuals interested in bring back Drum Corps to New York's Albany region after an absence of any form of Drum Corps for too many years. The group got together and planned the formation in a series of semi-weekly meetings held in Troy, NY. On March 24th of that year, a list of over 100 suggested corps names were voted upon. On that first vote the list was reduced down to the top 5 vote getters and on the following day, March 25th I posted a Poll on Drum Corps Planet to see what the drum corps community thought. The following represents the 5 names selected and how DCP voted:

Empire Brass [5] [7.94%]

Empire Sound [6] [9.25%]

Excelsior [45] [71.43%]

Hudson-Berkshire Brass Ensemble [2] [3.17%]

(Hudson) Quest [5] [7.94%]

TOTAL VOTES: 63

On April 7th, 2004 the organizing members made the final vote and Excelsior won unamiously except for one vote for Quest.

There were many posts with interesting comments made, but there is one that I especially like:

Posted by: donnymusic Mar 27 2004, 09:28 AM

I still say The "Bill Hoyt Cadets" has a nice ring to it!

Donny

So in a way you might say that the corps name is the product Drum Corps Planet and we thank those of you that participated back then!

Edited by Skylander

The Sunrisers got their name from the Sunrise Highway on Long Island, where the corps was founded. If someone else fromn Sun would like to step in with more info, go right ahead! :)