Cadets camp

I seem to recall in '03 (or was it '04?) they posted something on their website about having open auditions for a trumpet soloist sometime in June... one of their soloists had to leave because of family issues, I think.

Cadets always have hole, even late in spring training... I think it's some combination of their high standards, difficult shows, and desire to work the kids to death. But maybe that last part's just my opinion.

I second that, it's pretty much the reason. High respect for that corps' rehearsal schedule.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cadets are "re-focused"? Have they EVER lost their focus? Since when does 5th place in the DCI equate to failure? They're not the Yankees, 'ya know!! As for playing "millions of notes"..sometimes it's the notes you DON'T play that makes the difference.

By refocused I mean that the returning members of the 2006 Cadets have to refocus and regroup after a Summer of being booed and ridiculed by a bunch of insensitive, pompous paying spectactors who feel that it is acceptable to boo, slander, and ridicule kids who poured their hearts and souls into what they were doing. Don't try to tell me that the staff was being booed. The kids were out there on the field in front of the spectators, not the staff.

By refocused I mean that the returning members of the 2006 Cadets have to refocus and regroup after a Summer of being booed and ridiculed by a bunch of insensitive, pompous paying spectactors who feel that it is acceptable to boo, slander, and ridicule kids who poured their hearts and souls into what they were doing. Don't try to tell me that the staff was being booed. The kids were out there on the field in front of the spectators, not the staff.

Yes kids. The lesson learned here is simple:

Dont take it out on the members. Go to the staff after Critique and boo the staff there.

:P

Elmo Blatch

(I bet the Cadets will tear things up this year)

Almost every corps is a contender in January. Talk to me in June , July and August. :P

As for playing "millions of notes"..sometimes it's the notes you DON'T play that makes the difference.

Lisa Simpson (at Jazz Hole watching Bleeding Gums Murphy): "You should listen to the notes he's NOT playing ...:"

Bored patron: "Pffft. I could have done that at home ...."

Edited by Liam

I think that BoxingFred said it best, every corps is a contender in January. Blue Devils were a contender in 05 and look where they ended up....they went to Europe and got their heads and egos blown up by the European judging and came back to the states and got spanked. They played the crap out of a show with a very lame concept and just a 'not a winner' show. Another thing to keep in mind, a show can be awesome standing still. When you put feet to the music, things can turn very ugly. Magic 98 is a very good example. They sounded great but their feet were beyond the low end of the scale and their scores showed. I am not trying to slander any corps, just trying to bring out a point.

I think that BoxingFred said it best, every corps is a contender in January. Blue Devils were a contender in 05 and look where they ended up....they went to Europe and got their heads and egos blown up by the European judging and came back to the states and got spanked. They played the crap out of a show with a very lame concept and just a 'not a winner' show. Another thing to keep in mind, a show can be awesome standing still. When you put feet to the music, things can turn very ugly. Magic 98 is a very good example. They sounded great but their feet were beyond the low end of the scale and their scores showed. I am not trying to slander any corps, just trying to bring out a point.

If you read my original post, I said if the Cadets keep going the direction their currently headed they will be a contender. I'm telling you, I have followed the Cadets for many years and the 2007 Cadets are flat-out on purpose, BIG TIME! I'm not just trying to hype the Cadets, I'm simply reporting my observations from their camp, they have potential to be amazing this summer! :)

If you read my original post, I said if the Cadets keep going the direction their currently headed they will be a contender. I'm telling you, I have followed the Cadets for many years and the 2007 Cadets are flat-out on purpose, BIG TIME! I'm not just trying to hype the Cadets, I'm simply reporting my observations from their camp, they have potential to be amazing this summer! :)

Not to be argumentative here, but...

1. You said the same thing last year.

I have attended all but one of the Cadets camps this year and I will say they are definately on purpose. They have a very meaty book and the music is really good. If they can transition this show onto the field successfully, they have a real good chance of another championship. Watch out for the percussion section, they are amazing and short of a meltdown they will be very tough to beat.

<snip>

All sections of the corps are on track to be better than last year and the design team has put together another classic Cadets show.

2. Proclaiming that the Cadets have the potential to be contenders is like proclaiming that the Yankees will probably spend a lot of money on payroll. Nothing new.

They'll do their thing and be excellent at it. Like every year. But talk is cheap. Espeically in January. Just sayin'...

Edited by CrossmenAlumni