looking into colleges

Not true.

UNT is the best school of music in the state of Texas, hands down. Its also the best public university music school in the southern states.

You cannot go wrong with this school. Jazz (best in the world), Education, Theory, History, Musicology, Composition. Its all here and its all first rate and top of its class.

UNT is a great university for music, but if you're gonna be music ed be prepared to not feel as important as a performance major per say. Just a notion I've gotten from a few friends who have transfered out of UNT because of feeling like a "2nd class citizen" because of being a music ed major.

Nothing personal to any UNT folks on here, I know UNT puts out great band directors.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few....

UMass

West Chester

Temple

The College of New Jersey

Montclair State U

Ithaca

Boston U

Boston College

UConn

Agreed. Almost verbatim of what I would have said.

Also, and this has nothing to do with it, but:

Bachelor degree

Master degree

Doctoral degree or Doctorate

NOT

Bachelors/Bachelor's

Masters/Maters's

Doctorates/Doctorate's

The above mentioned degrees are not plural or posessive.

</rant>

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Well, allow me to add to the list of great colleges for music education, although I realize the original poster is most likely looking to school in the south.

In Ohio, all the state schools and most of the private colleges offer excellent and comprehensive programs in music education.

Youngstown State's Dana School of Music - winner of the Downbeat award for Wind Ensemble recording just last year, and for jazz ensemble just 5 years ago.

Ohio State University - very large program, competitive, but excelllent, and a pretty good marching band :)

University of Akron

Bowling Green

Miami of Ohio

Ohio University - great old school marching band here (one of my favorite show bands)

University of Toledo

Capital University

Mount Union College - I had to throw my own school in there

University of Dayton

Wright State

and all the private schools.

In Ohio we have 4 music conservatories, but I would not advise someone to attend them for music education, although a few do offer the degree. Those 4 are:

Cleveland Institute of Music - World Class!!!!

College Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati - World Class!!!!

Oberlin Conservatory - close to world class

Baldwin Wallace Conservatory - also close to world class

Now, the main thing I would say to the original poster about finding the right school for music education is this:

1. Take 4 or 5 visits to various schools you are considering. This will go a long way. Be sure to meet with faculty and ask a lot of questions.

2. Consider the number of years it takes to achieve the K-12 certificate, or even the pre K-12 certificate.

3. Consider cost

4. Consider scholarship offered (if any)

5. Consider opportunities in ensembles like marching band, wind ensemble, concert band, orchestra, and chamber ensembles. As a side note, I think being a part of the college game-day spirit and enjoying college marching band for a few years is important, and I think it can ultimately lead to a more well-rounded view on the marching art form. Too many who march drum corps end up thinking that all bands should be run just like the corps, and that all bands should perform music and drill just like the corps. In fact marching band should be more comprehensive. Most college bands perform 3 to 6 shows per season, and usually have 1 to 2 weeks to complete those shows. How the heck can they be like drum corps? Yet, I find the college experience also very worthwhile, fun, and challenging if done right.

If you are going to be a band director then I think it is in your best interest to march in college band for a few years, and I think you need to attend a school that has an excellent marching band techniques course. All of this in addition to having good ensembles and performance opportunities, as well as having excellent training in conducting and instrumental methods, will give you the best education.

Jonathan Willis

I like John Mayer's new single.

I think University of Olkahoma is also probably a very good music ed school, from the people I know that've gone there.

- You really have to consider value for money. You will likely get a better education at Harvard or Stanford than at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. But the greatest number of music educators in the Southeast Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware area come from WCU. Is it worth the additional $25,000 per year to go to Harvard for music education? Not if you’re my child.

Great point on value for money!

- As much as it pains me to say this, MikeD’s list is pretty good. I’d add UDelaware. Heidi Sarver’s marching band is better than most.

My list was geared more towards good solid music ed programs, actyually...some on it do not even have a MB....but you are correct...I forgot U Del. A very nice marching band and overall good school. Do the sousas still snake their way onto the field?

- If you want to teach near home, you’ll need teaching certification in that state. Some states are snooty about granting teaching certifications to out of state graduates.

Many also require passing the Praxis test no matter what school you attend.

- I’d be hard pressed to recommend that you stray too far from home for music education. I don’t see the value in the added cost and aggravation. And I wouldn’t give too much weight to the marching band program. You need to learn to teach, not to march.

Absolutely true...great post!

I have no opinion on John Mayer one way or the other. :P

I'd put in another word for Northwestern, if someone has the grades to get in. They have the advantage of both an excellent music ed staff and an excellent performance staff, and the ultimate advantage of being adjacent to an urban music hub. Job placement for NU grads is nearly 100%, which should indicate something about the desirability of a degree there. In the midwest, particularly, a NU degree is education is worth the dollars it costs to go there.

The marching band sucks in that Big 10 way - because of style rather than skill (with the exception of Stanford, who at least seems to recognize how goofy college marching band is, I have to confess to thinking all college marching bands kinda suck :P). Fortunately, no one takes marching band seriously, so it's not like there's any pressure.

The world works on connections; whatever you choose, look for a program that has connections within a wide community and can offer you the chance to interface with live schools and school administrators in the area. The whole point is to get an education AND get a job afterwards

Edited by mobrien

Also, and this has nothing to do with it, but:

Bachelor degree

Master degree

Doctoral degree or Doctorate

NOT

Bachelors/Bachelor's

Masters/Maters's

Doctorates/Doctorate's

The above mentioned degrees are not plural or posessive.

</rant>

This is incorrect. Any dictionary or Associated Press Stylebook will tell you it's bachelor's degree and master's degree.

G

Other great schools in California:

California State University Fullerton

University of Southern California

University of California Los Angeles (Tom Lee - Director of Bands/Conductor)

Heh, don't forget UCLA is also home to Gordon Henderson (Director of the marching band, arranged some of SCV's past shows).

Another good California school to add:

San Diego State University.

Jonathon Willis is correct. Ohio has a lot of good music programs.

I would also highly recomend that you participate in music groups outside your major.

For example if you're a brass major sing in a choir for a semester or a year. My brothers first teaching job was in a small school and he was THE music teacher; band, choir, and elementary music.

At Bowling Green we had 4 concert bands at the time. The last band was about half non-music majors and half music majors playing another instrument. For example a brass major would play flute or clarinet after woodwinds class for a semester to get a better understanding of it so they could teach better.

Jonathon Willis is correct. Ohio has a lot of good music programs.

I would also highly recomend that you participate in music groups outside your major.

For example if you're a brass major sing in a choir for a semester or a year. My brothers first teaching job was in a small school and he was THE music teacher; band, choir, and elementary music.

I would assume any music ed program worth anything would require that. I graduated from Montclair State in NJ back in 75, and I was required to do four semesters of choir, even though my primary instrument was percussion.