Rules Proposals

2007.7 - Overall Effect Judges  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Pass?

• Yes
    • No

We have to ask who this ultimately benefits...and if this would change the landscape even more.

It's certainly an aim to intergrate audio/visual as seamlessly as possible, but does this give two people even more power than the current GE setup already has?

A cursory read of the proposal makes it sound like its a good idea; but, overall, does this turn everyone towards a certain style of design?

A good visual or music GE judge will, quite often, cross caption from visual to music and vice versa. You can not judge music GE without considering the visual design and you can't judge visual GE without considering the musical design. This rule change makes sense in light of this fact.

Edited by Mark Time

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you make the case for this, you effectively imply that you're double judging one category... then that means you could do with only one judge, and then you have one judge holding 40 points.

I could see this if you removed some points from GE... One judge or two, but give GE 25 or 30 points.

It’s a rule that is following and meant to enhance the current trend of shows which makes it a very bad idea

Show trends change, this will make the shows less flexible in the way they can change and still be competitive – it really goes in the face of opening up drum corp…it limits it

A good visual or music GE judge will, quite often, cross caption from visual to music and vice versa. You can not judge music GE without considering the visual design and you can't judge visual GE without considering the musical design. This rule change makes sense in light of this fact.

In other words, if a corps' musical ensemble is "blowing the house down" with a tremendous musical statement in a brief standstill position that is only accented by some guard work, it is ineffective???? Yes, I could judge that without caring about the visual design at all at that point.........I have also seen many visual "moments" that I might feel are very effective visually but quite "ho-hum" musically (as I have felt about some so-called championship shows in recent years.....the key word is also some, here, before I am bashed....) Yes, the music GE is to consider coordination and musical effects that are also well-staged, but I think that a great musical product can also stand on it's own, and there are effects that are mostly musical, mostly visual, and sometimes both...............if we switch to "just effect", someone not knowledgeable about music might give a very high effect score to a show that has deficiencies in music effect....ditto if someone not real up on drill design over scores a program that is highly effective musically but deficient visually.....Music is music, visual is visual....coordination is always good, but certainly not the only aspect of effect, as this is leaning towards. And, as I have argued with the community for years, music is composed and arranged, not "designed"....that is a visual term....GB

The two GE categories do overlap to some extent; they compliment and affect each other.

But they are still two seperate things. Each judge has a specific focus. If it were a generic GE category, then the judge would have to divide their time between the two elements. Depending on their background one might get more attention than the other.

Maybe I am just slow - but I never noticed this before and it just doesn't seem right to me.

There are 9 judges on a current panel of judges for DCI major shows. I assumed that each judge's scores would carry approximately the same weight. Seeing as many of this year's proposals are about judging, I was looking at it a little closer.

The current 2 GE judges carry 40% of the total score. The remaining 7 judges split up the other 60%. This seems out of balance to me.

Under the new Overall GE proposal, those 2 judges would then be judging the same thing. This means that one concept called overall effect would account for 40% of the score with those 2 judges retaining that concentrated power. I would like to see a proposal that balances out the power and the responsibility.

Maybe I am just slow - but I never noticed this before and it just doesn't seem right to me.

There are 9 judges on a current panel of judges for DCI major shows. I assumed that each judge's scores would carry approximately the same weight. Seeing as many of this year's proposals are about judging, I was looking at it a little closer.

The current 2 GE judges carry 40% of the total score. The remaining 7 judges split up the other 60%. This seems out of balance to me.

Under the new Overall GE proposal, those 2 judges would then be judging the same thing. This means that one concept called overall effect would account for 40% of the score with those 2 judges retaining that concentrated power. I would like to see a proposal that balances out the power and the responsibility.

All I can say is... welcome to my world.

Why not split the points evenly?

25 - GE

25 - Brass

25 - Perc

25 - Vis & Guard

Then you can have a panel of 4, and big shows have 2 each!

But hey, what do I know... oh. I know that GE is too heavily weighted now. That's what I know. :doh: