The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Dreaming of childhood friends and the dreams you had? :P

THAT is a good one!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!! :lolhit:

There is a place for woodplayers in corps; it's call the pit and the guard. NO WOODWINDS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for being so straight to the point on this one, but it's called Drum and Bugle Corps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll find that throughout the very LONG history of drum corps, literally thousands of woodwind players have adapted quickly to brass instruments and done quite well. Many corps are eager to teach woodwind players due to your ability to read music, breathe, understand articulations and dynamics, and march and play at the same time. As for your contention there are no drum corps in your area, I've provided a list of all corps in the NE US:

DCI Div. II

Jersey Surf

Mount Holly, NJ

Spartans

Nashua, NH

DCI Div. III

7th Regiment

New London, CT

Citations

Burlington, MA

Raiders

Wayne, NJ

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey

Linden, NJ

Targets

Springfield, MA

Vision Elite

Brooklyn, NY

DCA

Brigadiers

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

Empire Statesman

Hurricanes

Rochester Crusaders

Skyliners

Sunrisers

White Sabres

You'll find that most, if not all of these corps would be thrilled to have you in their lines and the instruction you would receive is first-rate. Check out the DCI website for links to Div II/III corps. The other option is to check out DCA. The membership includes many top professional musicians and many staff members teach BOTH DCI and DCA. Many students train in DCA before finishing their junior careers in DCI. Bottom line... if you really want to march, the resources are out there. GO FOR IT! The experience is amazing in both organizations and you don't want to be 50 and wish you'd done it. Good luck!

You don't get it toph. He wants it. He wants it all. He wants it all right now. He doesn't want to adapt to it, he wants it to adapt to him. He will be mad if it doesn't. Guess what, that's the american way...the attitude of being given everything without having to do anything. He wants a world champion to change its instrumentation so he can march at that level.

To the original poster, there are drum corps that will take you THIS SUMMER. Look at the list at take your pick. I spent three years in a "little" unkown corps and had a great time. I also marched D1 and had a great time. I'm sorry that you waited until you were 19 but you can't just demand any activity to change to suit you.

Don’t lie to yourself – you know you’ll all come back when they add woodwinds. Drum corps fans are extremely committed to the activity…for all the talk of giving it up forever, I doubt you’ll leave the stands empty when DCI comes to your area. Fans of sports always make these claims whenever their sport goes on a strike or when a star player is rumored to be traded, yet they always come back. We can’t get away from the activity.

Heh.

Don't count on it.

<<First of all, the most important benefit of allowing woodwinds is to expand the activity to more people.>>

I'm the biggest advocate there is of expanding the activity to more people...like the thousands of kids across the country auditioning on brass for their favorite Division I corps and who don't make it and don't go anywhere else. We need more corps for them...and we still won't have enough corps for just them.

Michael, does this mean you're for woodwinds?

There is a place for woodplayers in corps; it's call the pit and the guard. NO WOODWINDS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for being so straight to the point on this one, but it's called Drum and Bugle Corps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well..........maybe they should use bugles then! :P

You don't get it toph. He wants it. He wants it all. He wants it all right now. He doesn't want to adapt to it, he wants it to adapt to him. He will be mad if it doesn't. Guess what, that's the american way...the attitude of being given everything without having to do anything. He wants a world champion to change its instrumentation so he can march at that level.

He wants an organization that called itself "Marching Music's Major Leagues" be able to accept the instruments that already exist in what might be called "Marching Music's Minor Leagues". Nothing wrong with that.

To the original poster, there are drum corps that will take you THIS SUMMER. Look at the list at take your pick. I spent three years in a "little" unkown corps and had a great time. I also marched D1 and had a great time. I'm sorry that you waited until you were 19 but you can't just demand any activity to change to suit you.

Um...actually, he can. Doesn't mean he'll get his wish, but yes, he can want it to happen, as you wanted to ban amplification.