The Case for Woodwinds in Drum Corps

Adding woodwinds to DCI would be like the reason there are so many strings in an orchestra compared to maybe 12 brass at most plus some woodwinds. They just can't put out the voume to compete with a full brass sound without making at least 60% of the corps woodwind.

The case for woodwinds in Drum Corps?

Sure, if you plan on building a bonfire with them on Center X for General Effect.

:music: :P

Why should they remain as-is? How about DCI starting a new division where any instrumentation is legal, a la MB? That way, if a few want to go that route...so be it.

I'd be completely fine with DCI (or even another organization) creating a forum for elite, non scholastic marching bands to compete, in the same spirit of drum corps. Clearly, there would be some uphill battles to making it successful and self sufficient, but all the power to them. Would it be my cup of tea? Not really, but I'm sure there would be people who would love to watch it.

I just wouldn't want to see DCI's drum corps divisions bring in woodwinds. If recent history has shown us anything, it's that if there's a rule change regarding intstrumentation, the corps pretty much have to adopt it to remain competitively successful, regardless of whether or not they prefer to go without. I'd hate to see the death of the artform that I love so much. Junior drum corps is a passion of mine for several reasons, and while the experiece for the kids wouldn't change (as it's remained by-and-large the same for decades), the onfield product would be fundimentally transformed into something that I wouldn't enjoy near as much.

Again, it comes down to personal preferences, and if the "market" dictated that a change or evolution was necessary, and I was on the outside looking in, I'd accept that.... thing is, I'm not sure that the market does dictate that.

Drum corps is not marching band without woodwinds. Competitive marching band is drum corps with woodwinds added. If enough people want it, a national summer bands circuit should be started separate from DCI.

Why, when there is already a great organization that could house them?

• Thanks 1

How about DCI starting a new division where any instrumentation is legal, a la MB? That way, if a few want to go that route...so be it.

DCW actually did this in the late 80s and early 90s. Personally, I loved it and don't know why it stopped. And with this type of model, drum corps could still exist...rather than moving the whole activity that direction. MikeD, I think this is actually what you were trying to convince me of a year or so ago...and I get in now. See, my thing is...I don't ever want to see a day where "drum & buge...drum & brass...whatever you want to call it" corps no longer exist. I don't think that ever needs to happen...anymore than the idea of "wind ensemble" ceasing to exist.

Edited by torn8o

Jetman

What a great post. It was well thought out and you presented your case in a way that others on this site can learn from.

Although, I must respectfully disagree.

For one, yes, I am a "Drum Corps Purist". There have been a lot of things that I lived to see change in this activity. Some diminished my experience (amped vocals) some increased my experience (B flat bugles, pits, to some extent, dance).

Try to think of it like this; I decided a long time ago that I wanted to play trumpet through grade school and high school. I was committed to develop my "talent"; I was good at it and loved it. But, deep down I REALLY wanted to play guitar for a rock band. (They got the chicks!) Because I committed to the trumpet it opened the doors to many wonderful things including marching drum corps and meeting my wife. The rock bands I wanted to play in didn't want trumpets/brass. I felt left out and hurt (I was very young) but I got over it once I realized that by adding brass to a rock band it would totally change the dynamics and sound of the band. This is the same with woodwinds and drum corps. Like I had to deal with my "choice" to play trumpet instead of guitar, you have to deal with your choice to play a woodwind instead of a brass instrument.

Lastly, the lines between BOA and drum corps are already thin. This is one last thing that keeps us what we are and what they are. I disagree with your comment that the two will still be separate if woodwinds are allowed. The addition of woodwinds will turn drum corps into non-school affiliated musical organizations that will eventually compete against marching bands. Then, eventually DCI and BOA will merge. Once this happens, it will be the death of something that I have loved for over 30 years.

p.s. Oh, that rock band I wanted to join. It was a little neiborhood band from Chicago called Styx. You might of heard of them. If you are too young to know them download a song or two or ask your parents about them. After you hear one or two of thier songs, imagine them with a brass section. I am sure you'll agree, it would sound much different. Styx wouldn't be Styx and they may not have been one of the most popular bands of the 70's and 80's.

What would be the solution? Simple. Lets EXPAND BOA...and maybe even USSBA to have a "summer superband activity" for kids who want to play in a band...and not a corps and leave DCI alone to be what it was designed to be. Innovation can continue without woodwinds...and unless we ever reach a point where we have reached our FULL creative potential with brass and percussion (which I believe we are FAR from at this point), we should not ever allow woodwinds in this activity.

I agree and I think Mr. Hopkins should create such an orginization under YEA instead of trying to change drum corps.

p.s. Oh, that rock band I wanted to join. It was a little neiborhood band from Chicago called Styx.

Dreaming of childhood friends and the dreams you had? :P