DCA:THE VOTE

I have a question, and it may have already been answered (I'm not going to thumb through 28 pages of posts to find it) -

If the so called "Renegade rule" passed, and from what I hear DCA has made it easier to host a show, can someone detail out what exactly is being done to make it easier? RCR hosts a DCI show every single year with 10ish corps in attendance, and I'm curious what rules we have to abide by, other than judging, to make the show legit by DCA's standards...

Thanks Folks!

From doing it the first time last year we had to pay a fee to DCA (for what I am still asking), pay for judges, judges housing and have at least 3 corps in attendance. For it to be a South sanctioned show, we had to have at least 2 (or 3 not sure) South corps in attendance. Since we are not able to swap home and away with corps like many in the NE do, we had to pay at least the minimum appearance fee, but we paid more than that to the northern corps (we agreed to it and I'm not complaining about that) in attendance. That's about it - lots of money and DCA judging crew.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good rule. Just because your "obvious" reasons are repeated over and over don't make it a bad rule.

No....the fact that it has the potential to hit so many small corps make it a bad rule.

It's like saying segregation was good...George Wallace proclaiming "Segregation forever" didn't make it any less fair to the public at large.

if there had been some though to being able to serve teh 22-34 member corps there'd be less uproar...but if you fall into that range and want to attend DCA, you;re ####ed.

Well, I guess we'll target mini corps performances. :laugh:

That was the tentative plan for this year anyway.

I'd really like to see another Curcuit develope apart from DCA. The Head quarters cold be in Texas with Finals rotating between Houston, Austin, Kansas City, Denver, Madison... the Skys the Limit.

California Corps could make the Denver Show easily, I would think.

Just a Brain Storm don't get upset and offended.

Edited by Kansan

Well, I guess we'll target mini corps performances. :laugh:

That was the tentative plan for this year anyway.

I'd really like to see another Curcuit develope apart from DCA. The Head quarters cold be in Texas with Finals rotating between Houston, Austin, Kansas City, Denver, Madison... the Skys the Limit.

California Corps could make the Denver Show easily, I would think.

Just a Brain Storm don't get upset and offended.

Look on a map....it's over 1000 miles from Los Angeles

Look on a map....it's over 1000 miles from Los Angeles

How far to New York State?

Denver Seems doable.

LA to Denver, CO 1030 miles,

to Wichitia, KS 1390,

to Dallas, TX 1400,

to Houston, TX 1540,

to Omaha, NE 1570,

to Kansas City, 1580,

to Minneapolis, MN 1860,

to Milwakee, WI 2070,

to Albany, NY 2850.

Your right, can't be done.

Edited by Kansan

Too bad DCA didn't put some actual thought behind this and give the under 35 corps an alternative. This is a cut and dried "if you're under 35 you're screwed". Unbelievable that DCA actually added a bunch of new corps, have new corps coming up and now pulled the rug out from under them. Talk about killing the golden goose.

And agree with Jeff Ds last post. When Westshoremen was starting back up all we wanted/needed was a chance to perform to get publicity, time in front of the crowd and money. We were coming in dead last at DCA shows but at least we were able to perform and corps management was able to keep the corps going with the appearance money.

Just how the #### can you get and keep prospective members if your corps is not even sure it will be able to perform or compete?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

How far to New York State?

Denver Seems doable.

LA to Denver, CO 1030 miles,

And it's a long and boooooooring drive through the desert and the mountains...

The problem driving it is the length of the drive in terms of time...14 + hours from Torrance for Dream if traffic is clear....and that ain't gonna happen.

Flying is the obvious choice, but flying's expensive.

it's doable, but not easy.

No offense to your particular situation, Sam, but to be honest, the CorpsVets have been traveling 16+ hours to the closest northern shows for years. Whatever it takes.

But I would think it would be longer than 14 hrs to Denver?

No....the fact that it has the potential to hit so many small corps make it a bad rule.

It's like saying segregation was good...George Wallace proclaiming "Segregation forever" didn't make it any less fair to the public at large.

if there had been some though to being able to serve teh 22-34 member corps there'd be less uproar...but if you fall into that range and want to attend DCA, you;re ####ed.

Yeah...............I feel kinda dumb actually, while we were all whining about the Renegades rule, which hardly counts now that DCA sanctioned show requirements have been relaxed, this WAY WAY WORSE rule was passed right under our noses. I hadn't heard a single thing about this rules proposal until it had passed.

This does way more to damage DCA growth than the Renegades Rule ever could. I sure hope the folly of this rule is realized and something is done about it.