Trombone/Baritone thread

Trombone/Baritone poll  

77 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Baritone players...what did you play before DCI?

• Baritone
    • Trombone
    • Other brass
    • Woodwind
    • Other

I started on violin in 3rd grade, then added trombone in 5th grade and finally started the ol valve and roter a couple months later.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i only play euphonium. on the field or in the hall , i still think its an amazing instrument.

5th grade: 1974- started playing trumpet

High School: By my Sr. year (1982) I was playing trumpet on the field and jazz band, Sousaphone for parades and french horn in concert.

Drum Corps: 1983- switched to bari and haven't looked back (except for the failed "Euph Experiment of '04" in Renegades B) ).

I'm originally a saxophonist.

I've been playing euphonium since September 2005, so about a year and a half exactly now. Lots of practice...

I marched in '06, and am planning on marching in '07. I made second chair all district this year on euph, and am eligible for all state. However, I won't be auditioning for all state because it's the same weekend as a corps camp.

At the moment, I'm planning on double majoring in musical education/ euphonium performance.

Holy smokes--audition for State!! I don't know where you're from, but in Texas that's a big deal. Even auditioning. Believe it or not, you won't march with many former All-State musicians--at least that was my experience. Funny, All-State stage ensembles and DCI-types seemed to be mutually exclusive! So as much as I talk about Texas, talent here, and the Crossmen's move, DCI isn't even very representative of how great the HS music is down here.

If your corps can't let you out of one weekend to audition for ALL STATE--boy, how the times have changed. I hear stories from the 80's and before where HS directors didn't want their kids auditioning for corps. What a change.

And take it from a MuEd Major--get an Accounting degree and minor in music. Pays better!

I was primarily a tenor trombone player, then learned some baritone for drum corps, but then realized guard was so much cooler (AND HARDER!) sooooooo I switched, haha. The rest is history.

Holy smokes--audition for State!! I don't know where you're from, but in Texas that's a big deal. Even auditioning. Believe it or not, you won't march with many former All-State musicians--at least that was my experience. Funny, All-State stage ensembles and DCI-types seemed to be mutually exclusive! So as much as I talk about Texas, talent here, and the Crossmen's move, DCI isn't even very representative of how great the HS music is down here.

If your corps can't let you out of one weekend to audition for ALL STATE--boy, how the times have changed. I hear stories from the 80's and before where HS directors didn't want their kids auditioning for corps. What a change.

And take it from a MuEd Major--get an Accounting degree and minor in music. Pays better!

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that (as it usually is, haha).

I'm from NC, and it's very competitive here as well. The all district audition and clinic both took place during two corps camps, so I already missed those. Also, during one of the three camps I have left is my winter drumline championships weekend, which I can't very well miss. So that leaves me with an early March camp(same weekend as all state auditions), and with a May camp.

So if I auditioned for all state, that would leave me going to just the May camp before movein. Since I'm so far the only vet in my section so far this year(others can't return because of money, for the most part), I'm going to those two camps.

And I still have one more shot at all state; I'm just a junior in HS this year. One year from now I'll be even better(since I will have been playing for 2.5 years instead of 1.5 years), so I don't think I'll have a problem at least qualifying for all state again, and I'll have a good shot of making it.

It was a choice I made after a lot of thought and discussion with people much more knowledgeable than I am.

Funny I thought making allstate was the goal of most brass players especially ones hoping to Join a Corp.

I guess 5 years of allstate membership means I'm spoiled.

By the way I started out on Tuba as my main instrument, Played baritone for Phantom, and eventually learned to play all brass instruments except the french horn!

Sister never did corps but she went

Violin-> Trombone -> Sousaphone in MB/Trombone in concert band.

Story was she cut a deal with my folks, she wanted to play violin and was told "OK, but we ain't buying two instruments. If you ever decide to play a MB instrument, you're getting the old trombone". While I was away at college she taught herself fingerings using my P/R Bari. Her last two years at HS, no one was playing MB Sousaphone (forget why) and she made a bet with the Band Director that she could play Sousaphone during football season. (He didn't know she taught herself fingerings ^0^ )

She did buy a used P/R Contra and fooled around with that for a while before we sold it to a corps. When it was sold, we found out it had been stolen. :worthy: