Capital Regiment

Tan? yes.

Lightly clad? also yes.

attractive? sometimes . . . not always . . .

females? well, that all depends. :worthy:

probable that they're in better shape than football players? Not so much.

haha. fair enough :P

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the incident well. I - along with others, I'm sure - wrote a letter to the school's president and athletic director right after the incident. I don't know if the letters had any bearing on the decision to fire the coach, but if it did, I'm glad. It was totally inexcusable behavior by someone who is supposed to be a role model for young people.

I was there with my corps on the field earlier that day - for those that don't know, DCM at DeKalb presents a special obstacle, namely the stands sit really high because of a large lip under them. This means that horn angles need to be adjusted, so most corps would rent time to rehearse on the field so as to be better prepared.

Back on topic - there is no way this could be justified. There are fields everywhere surrounding that field! It's not like they were going to run plays, or needed a press box view - they only had about 20 players in full pads. It wouldn't be so bad, but they charged the corps from the side while they were running a show segment and seriously hurt several people (ending a few seasons).

That coach and his players got off pretty easy. Their actions really were borderline criminal, can anyone say battery? At the very least the members would have had a healthy civil action under tort law.

Incidently, I much prefered 02...when the cheerleader camps were there. :)

I was there with my corps on the field earlier that day - for those that don't know, DCM at DeKalb presents a special obstacle, namely the stands sit really high because of a large lip under them. This means that horn angles need to be adjusted, so most corps would rent time to rehearse on the field so as to be better prepared.

Back on topic - there is no way this could be justified. There are fields everywhere surrounding that field! It's not like they were going to run plays, or needed a press box view - they only had about 20 players in full pads. It wouldn't be so bad, but they charged the corps from the side while they were running a show segment and seriously hurt several people (ending a few seasons).

That coach and his players got off pretty easy. Their actions really were borderline criminal, can anyone say battery? At the very least the members would have had a healthy civil action under tort law.

Incidently, I much prefered 02...when the cheerleader camps were there. :)

I happened to be sitting in the stands watching their rehearsal that day and saw (and heard) the entire thing develope from the time the coaches and players arrived to when the players ran wind sprints through the corps.........it was interesting.

This is an article I found while searching for info on mbands going to china in 08 for the olympics.

The article says it was written in '01, did anyone ever hear about this? And has it ever happened before/since? (and yes, he's an x-football player so he calls them a MB)

http://www.indignantonline.com/sports/sp072001

"Field Rage

Long-time readers know that I love football. It?s my favorite sport bar none. There?s something about football that brings the testosterone flowing through the body. That is the reason that football players get into so much trouble with things like domestic abuse, because their testosterone is given full reign during practice and games, and it is hard to turn the flow off. That is why I?m not at all surprised about this next story. The strength and conditioning coach at Northern Illinois University was fired this week in an incident of field rage. A scheduling conflict caused a visiting marching band, the Capital Regiment Drum Corps, to be on the field when the coach, John Bizkowski and about 20 players came onto the field for a practice. The band was out there and apparently, Bizkowski got the 20 players to run and wade into the band members. One suffered a hairline fracture of the jaw and another member suffered a severely sprained ankle. Two players were also identified in the incident, and one, along with the coach, are facing battery charges. NIU fired the coach and the two players could also face a student judicial board and possible expulsion.

Now, there was no excuse for this, but it might be hard to come down on the two players involved (as well as the other 18 or so players involved). As an ex-football player myself, when your coach tells you to do something, you are supposed to do it, no matter what it is. If my old high school coach had told me to run into a wall, I would have. For several years after high school, too."

But did the coach say run into the "band" members, or did the players choose to do that themselves?

A little off topic, I find it pretty amusing that people would do stuff like that just because you were told to. In my book that makes you just plain stupid. Obviously I've never been on a football team so there must be something I'm missing.

I agree completely with this point.

However, consider this: if visual staff at a corps tells you to do something, do you disobey? Even if it is unreasonable, dangerous, or insane? I have been in corps where people were clearly in danger of injury from activity which went beyond what people would physically could do- as we know, a metronome and a box drill are all it takes to destroy people, if a visual staff wants to. Same is true of rehearsal in Kansas in July- when does it stop being "we are in corps: we are tough guys" and become "that boy just had a heat stroke; maybe we should stop rehearsal"? We can think of at least 1 corps this past season, and many more in the past. And to be honest, if corps staff, for some insane reason, told the corps to run through a gaggle of football players, they almost certainly would do it. Thus, I find it curious that we would find football player behavior inescusable- when a person has complete authority and autonomy in determining your path in something very valuable to you, whether it is your football scholarship, or your dream summer of drum corps, and we are talking about 30 year olds vs 18-21 year olds with no power, how exactly do we expect these things to play out? I can find no fault with the players, only the coach.

To repeat though, I agree: "In my book that makes you just plain stupid."

But did the coach say run into the "band" members, or did the players choose to do that themselves?

Yes - he did.

I was just moving off the field with a different corps because our turn to practice at the stadium was up and it was Cap Reg's turn to use the field when that happened. I just remember hearing a bunch of the members gasping then seeing some move out of the way.

Crazy, I had almost forgot about that instance.