Is Drum Corps "School?"

We all agree learning takes place...  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps "School?"

• Yes, members are students and instructors are faculty.
    • No, members are memgers and instructors are instructors, that's it.

It depends on what decade you marched, what corps you marched, and who was on staff... Cadets and Cavaliers are the first ones that pop into my head as pushing the student/faculty ideas, which I totally agree with... I think the argument can be made that the pedagogy of drum and bugle corps has changed (at least for some corps) drastically over the last 10-15 years... Take the Cavaliers for example... They run their Brass program EXACTLY like my University's wind ensemble program. Think about how many college professors are also caption heads... Answer: ITS A LOT.

And also, I wouldn't call drum corps "school" any more than I call researching indigenous peoples of Africa or the Amazon "school"... It IS, however, a learning environment, which I believe warrants the depiction of students/faculty. This is a positive step forward, the more college credit you get for drum corps, the more happy the students are oing to be!!! lol

Edited by SCVsopAaron

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another example; when I was three, I stuck the butt end of a fork in an electrical socket. I learned never to do that again. That didn't make me a student. The house that zapped me was not a teacher. So, I maintain that there is a difference.

Did you get a tuition bill from the Electric Company?

Can picture asking my old DI if he was a teacher. "Yeah, I'll teach ya that ya'll get a boot up yer ### is you ask me another stupid question."

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

If you can generate funding for your non-profit organization by touting the educational merits of your program and your value to youth and community. then that's clearly the way to go. As a not-for-profit, your corps is going to be fairly scrutinized by potential givers and if the "carpet don't match the drapes" then you're very likely to lose out on certain alliances.

Perhaps that was a poor phrase to use, but you get my drift.

Ya, I guess, if you look at it that way. :blink:

as a side note, who and where were the instructors from in the early days? Were they military-based people(VFW), college profs? I really have no idea...

saw this link in another thread... look at the 2nd line... 500______

http://carolinacrown.org/artman/publish/article_354.shtml

Did you get a tuition bill from the Electric Company?

He didn't get a bill for tuition (as far as I know), but he did get a bill for service. Kinda like drum corps members/students/whatever have to pay the corps for food, uniforms, transportation, equipment, and instructors.

I voted "no". Yes, drum corps is an activity where people learn, but it's not the only activity where young people learn and they pay to be there and it's not called a "school". How about traveling youth hockey, baseball, or soccer teams? Those kids learn alot, they're not called students. They're called players, because that's what they are! Participants in drum corps can be called members or performers, 'cause that's what they are!

I learned so much about how to play my instrument as well as other brass instruments over the summer, which I needed since when I first marched I had about 6 months of brass playing experience. My caption head and my techs taught me an incredible amount about brass playing. Every day in horn arc was like having a brass master class. I think that if I had not had their instruction then I would not be anywhere near the level of playing that I am now.

In that sense, they were teachers and I was a student.

Who was it that said "The world is my classroom."? I can't remember, but it seems fitting for drum corps.

We are all students, in the sense that we learn new things every day of our lives, no matter how young or old we are. To me the biggest difference is that Drum Corps instructors (don't call them teachers) are "off the leash", which basically means that they have more authority to kick somebody's butt than if they were restricted by a school system.