92 & 93

Those are both great years with great shows from a number of corps. I wish I could have seen some of them live.

Oh man. I saw a lot of them. I went to Preview of Champions and the Atlanta shows in 1992, and was on tour in 1993. Which ones do you really wish you had been able to see the most?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man. I saw a lot of them. I went to Preview of Champions and the Atlanta shows in 1992, and was on tour in 1993. Which ones do you really wish you had been able to see the most?

hmmm....that's a tough one.

Cadets both years

Star both years

Cavaliers 92

Scouts 92

Vanguard 92

Phantom 93

Velvet Knights 92

It's a pretty long list...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I went back and watched parts SCV 92. Who does not love Fiddler? What held them to 7th? :(

Someone mentioned Freelancers. :) I just was cleaning my closet and I found a Freelancers button from 83? I do miss them!

I would agree that a lot of Madison in the 90's is good. Watched a couple years I could find but no 92

Thanks again.

I always loved the Cadets in 92..Tame the Perilious Skies was a great show.

YES! YES! YES!!!!!! I worship The Cadets' 1992 show. I feel it is one of the greatest examples of a concept show and a totally integrated show. Not to take anything away from how The Cavies move around the field, but I would place this show over any of the Cavies shows for (IMHO) the best example of a totally integrated concept show. There is not one drill move or visual nuance of the '92 Cadets show that does not make you feel the emotions of flight in its many forms. It's funny because I only remember the Cavies 1992 show as being one of the various Cavies' anthem shows they did back then, but I can recall the design of every flag, guard feature, major drill form, throw a baby at the field moment in The Cadets' To Tame the Perilous Skies show.

Again, just one man's opinion based on how this show "moves" this one man.

Cadets of Bergen County (closer only)

I would completely disagree with you on this.

I loved the first 2 songs, (Short Ride in a Fast Machine, and Letter from Home) At this point it might possibly have been my favorite show of all time, and then they played the closer. What a complete unmidigated disaster. The design was bad and the performance was equal to the design.

Man was that color guard great!!!!! Possibly my favorite of all time.

I went back and watched parts SCV 92. Who does not love Fiddler? What held them to 7th? :(

They weren't bad, just everyone else was better. And as much as I hated Phantom that year, 7th was a gift, Phantom should have beaten them.

Did you listen to their hornline, not pretty sounds.

Although '92 was not the nadir for SCV, that was the next year.

YES! YES! YES!!!!!! I worship The Cadets' 1992 show. I feel it is one of the greatest examples of a concept show and a totally integrated show. Not to take anything away from how The Cavies move around the field, but I would place this show over any of the Cavies shows for (IMHO) the best example of a totally integrated concept show. There is not one drill move or visual nuance of the '92 Cadets show that does not make you feel the emotions of flight in its many forms. It's funny because I only remember the Cavies 1992 show as being one of the various Cavies' anthem shows they did back then, but I can recall the design of every flag, guard feature, major drill form, throw a baby at the field moment in The Cadets' To Tame the Perilous Skies show.

Again, just one man's opinion based on how this show "moves" this one man.

w/Stp:

In 2005 we watched the DVD of this show with drum major (from that year) Dave Roulier, and he gave us a play-by-play of the entire thing. It was the coolest thing ever.

Hot years, good thread--glad I could be a part of both!

'92 Xmen were pretty cool! Still about my favorite show all-time. I'd like to have seen this show with a more talented corps. Not so much a diss on the members, just a really creative show that they performed the heck out of.

Bottle Dance at finals has to be to this day the loudest thing that I've ever heard, and I saw someone else post something similar recently, too! Guard at SCV in '91-'92 was pretty hot! Black dresses--wow.

'92 PR--nuff said. '93 PR, not enough can be said! So good we repeated the general idea in '94 with some different music.

'92-'93 Cadets were awesome--still some of the best visual and guard work I've ever seen live or on tape! Great stuff.

'92 Star was fun to watch/hear. Too bad the 1-2-3 1/4's, semis, finals thing. Supremely talented from '90-'93 and into the theatre days. There should have only been two ties in DCI history--'89 and '93. Those were genuinely amazing contests--the others were Disney. (JMHO)

Cavies percussion ruled the world in those days!

Who can forget the thrill at '93 finals to see TWO first-time finalists?! Still remember the Colts soloists in 'Summertime'--hot! Not exactly '86 BD, but those kids were jacked just to be there--Glassmen, too!

Three good words: Camp Randall Stadium.

Two bad words: Jackson, Mississippi.

Let's forget the top 2 in '93 for a sec: PR and BD were pretty spectacular! Cavies were great in '92, OK in '93. Scouts got rained on and blew the stands back b/c of it!! Worst hot dog trip I've ever taken in my life. Missed it, guys--my loss! SCV was in its first season post-Gail Royer and you could tell, but people loved the fact that they returned to Russian music. BK=Star Trek! Kind of obscure music, but entertaining. Should have done more familiar stuff (see also Cavies and Bond).

'92 was my rookie year. '93 was a year off for me--would give my right arm to have marched PR '93! ALWAYS march, guys!! Take a semester or a year or two off from school--but march!! Live a little bit while you can because life, family, work, kids, and mortgages will still be there ready for you to jump in when you age out. But you cannot go back and march a year like '93 or age-out in '95 ever, ever again! Just my two cents, but there are a whole smack of a lot of people out there who will say "AMEN!"

And if you're not planning on marching '07 b/c you were cut at the top 6, think again!! March ANYWHERE THAT WILL TAKE YOU!! B/C in the year 2021 when someone posts a thread titled "2006/07/08," you will not want to be Hrothgar saying, "I haven't marched yet!" You'll want to discuss your memories from tour and all the great shows that are to come!

March!!