Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I gotta go with 83.

I believe there was a uniform change that happened, and they stopped looking like red (blue) devils and actually took on a sort of Royal red and black design that really stuck with me.

I think after 1979, when they wore red jumpsuits, they switched t the red and black cadet-style they wore through the 80s (except, of course, for 85), and then they went to the white pants in 91.

Is Mark Blanford related to the snare drummer Scott Blanford who was in the 89 Cadets? If so, I marched right next to him....a really talented drummer, and crazy as he**! A really funny guy! Did something happen to his brother?

how could I be the only one who voted '77? I mean COME ON... that awesome 11 man snare line?? That complex show? The awesome uniforms?? That awesome guard? Wasn't Zimny drum major? The name "Freelancers" (one of the coolest names EVER in the history of the entire drum corps universe?)

whats up whats up??? :rolleyes:

Well, there are now two of us who voted for '77.

The drum line was awesome (an 11 man snareline)

The horn line ws amazing (the Bellavia arrangement was far superior to '76's)

How could you not love a guard using those Samovar swords?

All of it lead by arguably the best DM ever.

I voted for 81. Though VK was coming back after a year off, and Freelancers were beating the heck out of us, there were a few ex-VK in the corps that I knew. It was the first year of the new red cadets, the brass was hot, and they played Malaga. And after getting crap from VK's staff for proposing a Manilow song, here come Freelancers closing with "Even Now" and making finals with it.

They had a funky set-up with the quads, though, and they used it more than one year. Instead of the standard set-up, they just took their old tri-toms and put another, smaller, drum outside between 1 and 2 on the right. I think the original triples were 12/14/16 and they added a 10". One way to save a few bucks, and they made it work.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Is Mark Blanford related to the snare drummer Scott Blanford who was in the 89 Cadets? If so, I marched right next to him....a really talented drummer, and crazy as he**! A really funny guy! Did something happen to his brother?

Yes, they are brothers. Mark's fine, he's just not up to speed with this new internet thing, so I voted for him.

Regards,

John