Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

Hey Stu! How the #### can you afford to fly out to Chops? Do you still work for the state? :angry2:

yeah, still work for the state......but love my new drum corps family enough to fly out to Minnesota 3 times this summer and then to DCA.....4 more days till my first camp!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Off to the local high school now to go learn the drill that was emailed to me! WOOT!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite all time book was 84, after that I have to go with 91 followed by 89. As a rookie it was incredible stepping on the field for finals in 89. 91's horn line was just amazing. The bari/euph line had over 100 years of combined drum corp experience.

Chris Nalls, thank you for the compliment...you were great teacher.

Ken H.

1989-1992

Bari Euph and Contra

Edited by KLHilberg

I liked 1989 a lot. The very beginning of the show was just so exposed and so clean. That was a very effective show.

The other year that stands out for me is 1983. Pretty entertaining and solid package overall. My favorite thing though was their drum major (I think his name was Carl). He was one heck of a showman.

My favorite memory of Freelancers actually came in 1985 though at finals and no, it wasn't Barry and crew with their "M*O*N*E*Y*" blast. This was my third year in drum corps. I had done dozens of shows with Freelancers at this point. I had heard them warm up and play off at retreat numerous times. That night when they played off, they broke out with Bellavia. I had never heard them play that live before. I had no idea that the current horn line even knew that chart. I was truly blown away, especially standing about three feet away from them. It was awesome to see another example of a corps that had tradition they could break out when they wanted to.

My favorite memory of Freelancers actually came in 1985 though at finals and no, it wasn't Barry and crew with their "M*O*N*E*Y*" blast. This was my third year in drum corps. I had done dozens of shows with Freelancers at this point. I had heard them warm up and play off at retreat numerous times. That night when they played off, they broke out with Bellavia. I had never heard them play that live before. I had no idea that the current horn line even knew that chart. I was truly blown away, especially standing about three feet away from them. It was awesome to see another example of a corps that had tradition they could break out when they wanted to.

You must be thinking of a different year. We played Minotaur like we did at every retreat. We had a tough year with a lot of rookies so we did not have much time to learn anything but the show music. We had a tough time even doing You'll Never Walk Alone for the mass hornline with Madison and some other corps during the season.

It would have been great if we could have done that, but I don't remember us doing it.

You must be thinking of a different year. We played Minotaur like we did at every retreat. We had a tough year with a lot of rookies so we did not have much time to learn anything but the show music. We had a tough time even doing You'll Never Walk Alone for the mass hornline with Madison and some other corps during the season.

It would have been great if we could have done that, but I don't remember us doing it.

There was no other year that it could have been. This was the only year that I was in drum corps that Freelancers played off before us. I remember your playing Bellavia standing still and then marching off to Minotaur. This was the only time that I ever heard the corps play Bellavia live. Let's see how anyone else remembers this.

• 2 weeks later...
It always seemed like Free was in the lot about six hours ahead of their step-off time. That shows good road planning.

Yep, that was us. First to arrive last to leave...

OK, for me.....but not necessarily in order....

1977--trademark Freelancers, in my opinion. Bellavia still stands out as a signature Freelancer tune. What a drumline.

1983--What a hornline!!!!

1984--Live from Sacramento.....

1989--My rookie year and the year of returning to finals

1991--"The Kiss" in Indianapolis said it all

And Dave....if you want those recordings I can talk to Frank Dorritie, if you'd like. He probably has them......

1988 - A great year to march (aside from going on a southern tour). I think we surprised everyone out of the gate. our OTL (E.T.) was superior in many ways to what we played in 1989 (IMHO). '88 was more about us finding an identity than anything else. We discovered that we could do anything we put our mind to. We gained the respect of the drum corps community, and put the fear of god in to others who saw us coming. No one thought the Freelancers would fight for a finals spot that year. But we did.

1989 - We turned it on. I remember going int that first camp, and feeling the confidence . There was no doubt in any one of the vets minds that we were a finalist corps. We started putting drill on the field in December and had the show finished a week before the first performance. There was a sense of unfinished business that year that drove the corps.

One of my favorite memories was a rehearsal somewhere in Ohio (Dayton I believe). We had been a little flat and the scores seemed to stall in the low 80's. I think the staff was starting to feel as if we had peaked, and the kids were feeling that way as well. Richie (horn tech) took the hornline out to the side of the school, and chewed are butts off (which, if you know Richie was something in and of itself). He said it was time for us to play loud, and for the next hour, we worked on nothing but making the loud portions of the show REALLY F-ING LOUD! It was the one hour of rehearsal in my drum corps career I will never forget. We became a DCI hornline that day. Later that night at production run throughs, the staff nearly fell off the scaffold. I remember one of the color guard staff asking where the hell did they come from?". Ou scores bumped up several points the next night.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, just some random memories.

Edited by Newseditor44

I remember that rehersal asw ell. I got goose bumps reading your post. Richie was frickin INTENSE that day! He was the most mild mannered guy you could ever run across but that day he was a MONSTER. I always felt that he was one of our most underrated instructors!

BTW, I voted for 87. Nobody expected a dang thing from us and boy did we ever surprise!

I remember that rehersal asw ell. I got goose bumps reading your post. Richie was frickin INTENSE that day! He was the most mild mannered guy you could ever run across but that day he was a MONSTER. I always felt that he was one of our most underrated instructors!

BTW, I voted for 87. Nobody expected a dang thing from us and boy did we ever surprise!

I just asked myself earlier "Who else voted for 87" ?? I Just got done watching that show again (high camera) and it is so lost in the crowd.......a great comeback !!!!

~G~