Ode to Real Drum Corps

I can see current Juniors taking this poem too seriously and to heart because there are some older members that seriously believe every aspect of the poem. They are few and far between.

Do I believe any of it? Only the sentiment that what we did in the sixties was good in it's own right and worth as much as today's shows even though some younger marchers cannot conceive of anything being as good as what they're doing now.

I did mention that I didn't agree with any of the parts of the poem that denigrate the marchers of today's corps.

I truly look it as amusing and humorous because it is pretty over the top in it's sentiments. Don't take things so seriously or you'll never live to be an old guy that young guys complain about and make fun of.

What was done on the field 40 years ago is totally different than what is done today. You simply cannot compare the two, they have so little in common. And that is where the, "it's not drum corps" comments come in. Today, it really isn't drum corps, if your idea of corps is 40 years old. Today it is more like band and more about entertainment.

But entertainment is a good thing.

Do older members disrespect the younger members? You might think so, but who do you think has been footing the bill for all the younger members the last 30 years. If we didn't like it and respect it - we wouldn't pay for it.

Finally, Colbert isn't a joke? I think he's hilarious...and I'm pretty conservative.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. We called 'em "ranks". Three guys who pretty much stuck together through the entire show.

Of course, there were constant discussions of who marched in the best, and worst, ranks. The all-time “winner” of the rankest rank was Al Kerrenti, Bruce Young, and Joe Jazinski (I'm really sorry about the spelling). They just didn't look like drum corps types in their street duds. Bad body types. Although Joe was a pretty decent soprano.

Jim, I saw Joe tonight and told him you said, "Hi", and he said, "Who?" Actually Bruce Englehart said the rank was Al Karrenti, Bruce Young, and Engie and he actually pulled out an old photo from his music folder to prove it. That was funny.

I think Vanguard was the first Drum Corps to do an asymetrical drill in 1980 ... They came in 7th that year, and a lot of people thought the drill was kind of neat, but more or less a novelty. It didn't have the velocity and constant motion that Zingali introduced with the Cadets a few years later.

There were a lot of old-timers to dumped on the style of marching that followed from The Cadets' innovations, calling it "follow-the-leader" and arguing that it lacked the precision of squad drills, etc.

Since we were not really on everybody's radar it probably went unnoticed, but in 1968 the Erie Thunderbirds drill was written by Lloyd Simpson (recent PaDchof inductee) and at that time president of Pa. All American judging Association. Our drill consisted of one side of the corps' doing the standard company fronts, squad movements, reverse spin turns, (remember those) and block formations while the other half of our corps' were doing circles within circles and the so called follow the leader moves. When we asked Lloyd "Why?" He simplied replied...."It can't be judged". (under the tic system).

That's about as asymetrical as you can get. Just sayin...... B)

Jim, I saw Joe tonight and told him you said, "Hi", and he said, "Who?" Actually Bruce Englehart said the rank was Al Karrenti, Bruce Young, and Engie and he actually pulled out an old photo from his music folder to prove it. That was funny.

Priceless. You ought to post it here.

Say hello to Engie for me also. I assume Old Number 1 is still blowing good?

Priceless. You ought to post it here.

Say hello to Engie for me also. I assume Old Number 1 is still blowing good?

Engie's having some chops problems now. He's working through it

Joe got there late to practice, he had just returned from a cruise and went straight to practice.

Joe's playing great, and loud as ever,but last night he hit a high D in one of the numbers that was about 99cents flat - stopped the number cold. Guess his mind was still asea. :)

Edited by Martybucs

Conner , you definitely have a point, to an extent.

Someone that would take this poem as anything other than, "tongue in cheek" humor is not worth worrying about.

I think most older people DO NOT believe the words of this poem, but if you were old like us and you will be someday - no one escapes age- you would find some humor in the comparisons drawn.

Your reaction to the poem and the broad generalizations you draw from it reveals the same attitude towards older people that you accuse older marchers of towards younger marchers. The fact is neither is true.

It's a joke, that's all...like Colbert

As I said over in the DCI forum...it was written as the person's viewpoint on modern drum corps...not as a joke...I saw it on the Yahoo 60's and 70's group a few years back.

And...you see a bunch on this thread high-fiving what it says.

As one who marched, taught and judged in drum corps from 64-80, plus judging two DCA shows in 1990, I find it abhorrent.

I think Vanguard was the first Drum Corps to do an asymetrical drill in 1980 ... They came in 7th that year, and a lot of people thought the drill was kind of neat, but more or less a novelty. It didn't have the velocity and constant motion that Zingali introduced with the Cadets a few years later.

Youre correct. They were shredded for that drill. Then the next year everyone was assymmetrical.

I think Vanguard was the first Drum Corps to do an asymetrical drill in 1980 ...

Our 1971 drill was very asymetric, as the lower brass were the Brits/Hessians and the sops the American Colonists during the Revolutionary War. The two groups marched pretty much independent of each other for a good portion of the show.

Our 1971 drill was very asymetric, as the lower brass were the Brits/Hessians and the sops the American Colonists during the Revolutionary War. The two groups marched pretty much independent of each other for a good portion of the show.

"Asymetrics":

The Baltimore Yankee Rebels "May" have been the "Firts" with an "Asymetric" drill. Their 1969 "Requiem" Civil War pagent had the corps "Divided & Re-United" for the second half of the show.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights had an "Asyemetric" production in 1970. The corps was "United" only at the end of their color presentation, "America" in the "USA" drill set.

Elphaba

"Asymetrics":

The Baltimore Yankee Rebels "May" have been the "Firts" with an "Asymetric" drill. Their 1969 "Requiem" Civil War pagent had the corps "Divided & Re-United" for the second half of the show.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights had an "Asyemetric" production in 1970. The corps was "United" only at the end of their color presentation, "America" in the "USA" drill set.

Elphaba

Hmmm...trying to remember their drill in 70...I almost marched with them that year.

Opener was Meadowlands/Gate of Kiev, and I know they kept a lot of the 69 show from there out.