Heat Wave Inactive?

John....thank you for the brutally honest rundown there (and I;m glad I wasn;t on the receiving end of your ire).

Re the 35 rule being a FACTOR in shutting down -- something which I've always asserted and you just confirmed-- i rest my case.

Here it is in black & white, people....hard working at recruiting....clearing 50K in debt...yet numbers that would not allow them to compete at a show...

Ignore at your peril....

A very small FACTOR, in my opinion. Sorry Heat Wave, I know what you mean about having a dubious local rep. I think we've had a similar problem up here in Erie. For some reason, our home town paper calls us a drug and bugle corps...... ($1 to Gary Matczak for use of periods)

Edited by Mike_B

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find it very strange that you always have such strong opinions for someone who doesn't have a vested interest nor a corps on the field in DCA Class A or Open divisions.

I'll field this one for Gary. We have a vested interest in Drum Corps. We love this activity and have actually devoted most of our lives to it. We don't WANT to compete as a field corps. A few do. They also marched with Empire, Brigs, Cru, Bucs, Steel City, White Sabers. Actually. back in 86, Empire sent a bus to Erie, helped them make a step up and they haven't looked back. Listen, the majority of our corps has more years on the DCA field than I care to state.

(edited because I left off Steel City, that won't do.)

Edited by Mike_B

Just so it's even more clear........... The voting membership has a responsibility to do what's best for the activity (not themselves or show sponsors). Sometimes that means that outside forces (and I'm sure outside is debatable to you) won't like your decisions. Work harder at finding alternative solutions to these problems rather than creating policy that eliminates or stunts the growth of the activity.

Oh I understand what you are saying,..................what you have identified you want them to work harder at is something they don't want to do, you don't get that, or don't want to get it,...................please explain why the voting members have the responcibility you describe?

The only reason you're still "calling me out" is because you just don't get it. You continually twist my comments into something completely different than their intent (and you do this knowingly). If anything ..> I replied with more class than what you deserve. I also find it very strange that you always have such strong opinions for someone who doesn't have a vested interest nor a corps on the field in DCA Class A or Open divisions.

I'm glad you seem to think you understand why I'm calling you out,................. but I'm sure you don't understand, and I can't help that,..................as far as my strong opinions?,..............let's see,................. I have been involved in this activity beginning in 1972, prior to that, a kid who's dad ran a local street D&B Corps, I have been instrumental in the Thunderbirds since 1978, percussion caption head in 1983, watched the corps fold for financial reasons in 1985, kept the fire alive by running and funding an all percussion group that performed at many shows and parades around the area for 7 years, restarted the corps with 6 other guys in 1991, have since won 6 mini corps titles, (4 in a row), I have been the business manager for the corps for the last 5 or 6 years, we have run many DCA contests in recent years, put on a few concert productions, an indoor corps show or two, I am on the board of Lake Erie Fanfare which hosts the longest running regular season DCI contest in the country (about 28 years running), I am the board secretary for the Local DIII corps, I am a founding member of the PA Drum Corps Hall of Fame and current exec. committee member, I am business manager for the local, upstart and very successful indoor percussion ensembles from Presque Isle Percussion, I am a Founding member and current treasurer for Mini Corps Associates, and ran our first ever contest in Harrisburg a few weeks ago, I provide free web server space for 4 organizations in the realm of drum corps, provide free office space for our corps and related organizations...........................other than that, you are right, I really don't have a vested interest in drum corps,......................how about you?

####, can't you people just let this thing go....

What's done is done, JJ stated why they are inactive, let it go...

Are you going to died from this? NO

Stuff Happens, I'm not happy about this issue either, but Stuff Happens...

I wish HW the best of luck...

Sorry to see this happen to a nicer group of people...

Love ya all!

Oh I understand what you are saying,..................what you have identified you want them to work harder at is something they don't want to do, you don't get that, or don't want to get it,...................please explain why the voting members have the responcibility you describe?

I'm glad you seem to think you understand why I'm calling you out,................. but I'm sure you don't understand, and I can't help that,..................as far as my strong opinions?,..............let's see,................. I have been involved in this activity beginning in 1972, prior to that, a kid who's dad ran a local street D&B Corps, I have been instrumental in the Thunderbirds since 1978, percussion caption head in 1983, watched the corps fold for financial reasons in 1985, kept the fire alive by running and funding an all percussion group that performed at many shows and parades around the area for 7 years, restarted the corps with 6 other guys in 1991, have since won 6 mini corps titles, (4 in a row), I have been the business manager for the corps for the last 5 or 6 years, we have run many DCA contests in recent years, put on a few concert productions, an indoor corps show or two, I am on the board of Lake Erie Fanfare which hosts the longest running regular season DCI contest in the country (about 28 years running), I am the board secretary for the Local DIII corps, I am a founding member of the PA Drum Corps Hall of Fame and current exec. committee member, I am business manager for the local, upstart and very successful indoor percussion ensembles from Presque Isle Percussion, I am a Founding member and current treasurer for Mini Corps Associates, and ran our first ever contest in Harrisburg a few weeks ago, I provide free web server space for 4 organizations in the realm of drum corps, provide free office space for our corps and related organizations...........................other than that, you are right, I really don't have a vested interest in drum corps,......................how about you?

...and in his SPARE time.....maintains, drives and houses our equipment and equipment truck.....Ya ...he has a vested interest..... B)

JJ

Thank you for helping the masses understand. As I have stated before, I would be willing to try to help keep the activity going if you need my help. I'm here for you all.

Keith

Here's the sad part...just when DCA is growing even more, now corps are going inactive. Don't we all want growth? Competition? Heat Wave has been going up north every year since they started competing and doing it with a small corps. Everyone enjoyed having them at their show no matter how big or small they were. So lets say FOR AN EXAMPLE...NY Skyliners have only 29 people (hypothetical), they name alone will draw fans and the sponsor isn't going to care how big or small they are.

If it's about money then only the bigger corps will survive (and for how long?) and all the smaller corps will cease to exist. So now what do we do? DCA is built on the same premise as junior corps was in the 70's, "come to my show I go to yours" How many northeastern corps participated at a Heat Wave show? How many corps had Heat Wave at their contest?

Keith-this is a point I've made for many years-Heat Wave busted its butt to make as many shows up north as we could when I was with them-2 trips to Conn, one to clifton, one in buffalo and syracuse- and more. how many of the richer, norther corps came south?-NONE-they all said it was too expensive, the trip too long, but oh, its ok for a small corps, with less finances, to go into debt to make those northern shows-please come to buffalo, please come to clifton etc etc.

I said it before (to mickey) there should be a rule that those powerhouse corps shoiuld HAVE to go south to ONE SHOW EACH in order to reciprocate, and to promote the activity in the south, but as long as the voting remains with the strenth in the northeast, it aint gonna happen, and expansion of DCA will be stiffled. Heck, I dont think any of the people down here even know who the cabs or sky or bucs etc are-but they know junior corps because of DCI nationals being down here. Anyways, thats my opinion-and it hasnt changed..........Benny

####, can't you people just let this thing go....

Would you have had MLK let civil rights legislation "go" if it hadn't passed?

The rule is wrong...period. Heat Wave's become the poster child (partly my doing, I admit), but they will not be the only small existing corps or new start up affected (I'd have to look through the thread, but I think it was Shannendoah sound who ALSO quoted the rule as hurting them).

Just because the rule passed doesn't make it a good one, or that it should not be changed. If the gap had been closed, or even if a MODERATE penalty had been assessed for each person under the 35 limit (a quarter of a point, perhaps) it wouldn't have the same impact.

Edited by 84BDsop

Question: What is the penalty if a corps lies about it's size, and no one finds out until they physically show up for the show?

Got a better idea...corps hit the field with 35 people between teh brass, battery, pit, and guard.

One person in teh pit does a cymbal crash at the beginning of the show...and then sits out the rest.

35 people on the field...all have participated at some point in the show...legal??? yep. There's no rule anywhere that says a member must perform the full show....