Corps Acquaintances

I've had quite a few, but I think the most notable was getting pulled over for speeding in Virginia and the cop noticing my Cavies license plate frame and Marine Drum and Bugle Corps sticker. Turns out he had marched Troopers. All the discussion we had didn't stop him from giving me a ticket, though.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago at a show in Columbus, OH Jeff Fiedler came at sat down right next to me before The Cavaliers performed. I couldn't stop staring at the big ring on his finger with a huge green stone in the middle...haha

I went on a trip with my dad to New York in a few months after the 2005 season ended and we stayed in Ithaca, NY. After checking into our hotel, we decided to eat and went into a chain restaurant... I think Chilis or something... and the Will Plenk, the Cadet 05 drum major was working there! I went up in my Phantom jacket and shirt and introduced myself.

After our first year of marching in St. John's Girls in 1966 my best friend and I decided to post a letter in Drum Corps News saying we were looking for pen pals... WELL we both received tons of letters and we kept up with the letter writing through most of our drum corps marching years. Since I stayed with drum corps (she dropped out in '69) I eventually met some of those pen pals when either our corps crossed paths, or we made it happen.... BUT some I never did meet. A few of them sent me their pictures which I kept in an album. So jump forward 30 yrs and along comes the internet. Since I still remembered some of their names or had their pix I looked some of them up again and voila. I've even re-connected with one who I've still never met in person. Some of the people I can remember marched in corps like VK, Cavies, Mello-Dears, Lake View Shoreliners, Bleu Raiders, Troopers, Fitchburg Kingsmen, ND-Ettes, Derry Patriots, Speigelaires.... One guy, who I had become good friends with :) ended up being drafted to Vietnam. I wrote to him all through his time in Nam. I met some pretty unforgetable characters and since I'm marching again you realize we're just one big giant family.... B)

I've got two...

My best friend Melissa marched at Pacific Crest from 98 to 2002... and works at Costco.

There is a kid (Danny) in the corps now... who works at Costco.

The two had never met since Danny started marching at PC long after Melissa.

One day, they're folding clothes together... and Danny is talking about how he won't be able to work there much longer. After being asked why, he mentioned, "because I march drum corps" figuring that Melissa would have no idea what he was talking about. Needless to say, he was wrong. Not only did she know what drum corps is, she aged out of the same corps he was currently marching.

Second...

I'm trying to explain to some people at work why my "vacation" time this summer would really be going on tour. All of a sudden, a random guy pops his head into my office and says, "You're going on tour? I marched Troopers!". My co-workers looked at me like I was crazy when we started talking drum corps language. I immediately emailed him a full schedule of local shows. :-)

Edited by spinninstephanie

being a brother in the largest social music fraternity has its advantages in this department. :P

(OAS AAS LLS - Marshall)

I wore a Southwind shirt to one of our "get togethers" w/ our big brother chapter (Morehead St.), I was sitting there and a guy comes up to me and goes "Nice shirt, I march Colts". turns out he's my Phi Mu Alpha uncle. :P

I was taking my students to lunch during a break in rehearsal and while I was filling up my drink cup, a man noticed my corps jacket and asked me if I marched. Turns out he was a member of the Bleu Raiders from Louisiana! You don't expect to meet drum corps members in Ci-Ci's Pizza of all places! :)

I went on a trip with my dad to New York in a few months after the 2005 season ended and we stayed in Ithaca, NY. After checking into our hotel, we decided to eat and went into a chain restaurant... I think Chilis or something... and the Will Plenk, the Cadet 05 drum major was working there! I went up in my Phantom jacket and shirt and introduced myself.

Ha-ha! Been watching your cousins on the crab boats out in the Aleutians on the boob-tube. "Deadliest Catch," or something like that. No crab poop to deal with, but big waves on the Bering!

I was in a bar ... i'm not 21, but my dad is a bartender there so I was talking with the bar owners. (I work at a catering place and I got out of work at 12, and had to go to my dad's work for a ride). Well the bar owner mentioned to me why I was't marching or something (I've gotten an injury that doesnt allow me to march anymore) and I explained why I was back, and he introduced me to his father who apparently marched with the Pittsburgh Rockets. He also mentioned two other corps he had marched but I can't recall them. It was pretty neat ^_^