No Mass Appeal, No Future

The Drum Corps activity as a whole is getting smaller and smaller every year. Some of it is due to cost and some of it is due to show designers who like to pretend that they're Broadway producers. I know it's not very optimistic, and it pains me to say it, but if it keeps going down the same path, I don't think it will last much longer. I'll give it 10 maybe 20 years, then the fire goes out.

I agree with you, there seems to be an indifference on the part of the staff of some of the corps. They are the ones receiving the paychecks, and should be cognizant of the attendance at the shows since obviously they are the monetary beneficiary's. There are a few changes that possibly could fill more seats at the shows.

Without retreats , drum corps is like a medicine show. Slam Bam Thank You Mam.. Unlike the subliminal violent needs of NFL fans, that are camoflauged by scores and media attention, drum corps appeal has always been the misic,color and pagentry with non violent competition mixed in. When Rose and Harry take a couple of the grand kids to a drum corps show, this is what they are expecting to see. They could care less about captions, and quite often like a lower placing corps much better than the corps that wins the show.

Wether a corps is playing Blutarsky's 22nd movement or Good Night Irene, the presentation of the entire show is what the paying fan wants to see. They perhaps have enough confusion in their lives, and do not need a ten page booklet to help them understand the inner workings of drum corps. Stop preaching to the choir, and reach out to people who are just looking for an evening of entertainment .

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it might be time for you to stop wasting your money.

Actually did it for ten years. Didn't hurt and found things to do with my time that were a LOT more productive and useful to the outside world....

All I know is that there used to be about 40 corps' battling for the top 25.....now they can't even fill it out. If that's not indicative of a state of decline (or denial) then I don't know what is.

That may be true, but there are a number of things (other than show design, which is a moot point when discussing the decline in corps, IMO) that lead to the decline, not just show design alone. Gas prices, insurance costs, food costs, etc...

That may be true, but there are a number of things (other than show design, which is a moot point when discussing the decline in corps, IMO) that lead to the decline, not just show design alone. Gas prices, insurance costs, food costs, etc...

Exactly. So many corps are having a really hard time staying afloat simply because of the outrageous cost for touring. Prices of every product consumed by the corps have been going up much faster than the inflation rate. Not a good combo.

I just don't think the argument that the number of corps is in any way related to entertainment value holds any water. I mean, VK, the Bridgemen, and 2-7 (for instance) sure didn't fold because they lacked crowd appeal. Can anyone actually point to an instance where that was a factor in a corps going inactive ... ?

I agree, but if someone claims technological advances are 'growing' drum corps, I would expect there to be more drum corps out there with every advance. I just don't see that it has happened at all.

Quantity is only one possible measurement of health.

And a pretty darn good one at that.