Current Standings

does anyone else feel a bit sorry for the kids at the bottom? it seems like every corp is having a good year. and it just seems confusing that many corps are remaining in the same place. i understand why, there's just something slightly off about it. a few weeks ago somebody mentioned that he was glad it means something to make finals again. heck, it means a lot to make semifinals now. and with the difficulty of holding a corp together. it means even more just to have a corp in the first place. i say surviving as a drumcorp means more than anything. this is like an epiphany for me, although i already knew all of this, it never really struck me so strongly

Your first comment about some of the corps not going anywhere, meaning that they are not moving up in score, if not placement is understandable. This is one of the imperfections of the judging system. There are only so many points to give, and somebody is going to win with the others following down the line. As it is now you have 22 corps with scores between a 73.9 and a 95.1, and obviously the judges have to do their best to gage the spread, so it becomes difficult to reward the lower placing corps with scores in the 80s if you don't allocate points well. This is why they use the tenth system and why most captions have a max of 20 points. But sometimes the points are allocated in various ways, and that will push the lower-echelon corps down the ladder even if their performance was better than their score indicated.

Probably the most difficult thing to do in judging is to really define what a tenth of a point really means and how to apply it.

As for the rest of your comments, I think it means a lot to keep a corps active and healthy. Making Finals, Semi-Finals, and Quarter-Finals is very rewarding, but it's more important to keep the organization healthy and happy. In the end this is what attracts people to your corps, and it is truly how a group can survive many years and have many competitive successes without it killing their overall outlook on performance vs. experience. The Mandarins have set a wonderful tone for this type of belief out west, and they continue to thrive to this day. I work closely with the Canton Bluecoats, and that is their mission first and foremost.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scores are mere mathimatical numbers, aquired by different corps at different times in different places calculated by different judges. We'll just have to wait and see what happens at the championships. GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!!! :)

Good to see that PR may have a chance to take 3rd. It's going to be an interesting finals on many counts.

On August 4th last year....

The Cavaliers.........95.575

The Cadets............94.600

Phantom Regimet...92.875

And we all know how finals turned out. I wouldn't count out the Regiment yet.

On August 4th last year....

The Cavaliers.........95.575

The Cadets............94.600

Phantom Regimet...92.875

And we all know how finals turned out. I wouldn't count out the Regiment yet.

Well you do have Regiment and The Cadets backwards..

holy race for 12th batman!

holy race for 12th batman!

6 points separate 21st from 11th...wow

Well you do have Regiment and The Cadets backwards..

That's what fromthepressbox has. So, I'm neither confirming or denying that those scores are right, but thats what was there.