We're ALL suckers...

Does anyone else out there find it interesting that the most competitive year in DCI history (any winner on any given night) is happening in the very same summer that the championships are in California for the first time ever??

Hmmmm...

Do you think DCI is trying to sell tickets in Pasadena?

I do.

:sleeping:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so... for some reason, this year it feels like everyone is bringing their game to the field.. like seriously bringing their game.

I'm happy that they are even coming to my home state, CA. It really gives me the chance to see some awesome drum corps that may very well be a once in a long/lifetime chance with the finals moving semi-permanently to Indianapolis. I was luckily able to see the Kalamazoo show due to a coincidence in scheduling; however, that probably won't happen again.

Darn, too bad I probably can't go even to Pasadena. :sleeping:

Edited by NeutralNovice

Does anyone else out there find it interesting that the most competitive year in DCI history (any winner on any given night) is happening in the very same summer that the championships are in California for the first time ever??

Hmmmm...

I do.

:blah:

Um....you're joking right? if not, then I suggest you dawn your protective foil hat to protect you from those evil George Hopkins mind control rays, should you choose to go to finals.

We've been suckers for years as the objectivity from the judging aspect has been gone for many years.

JMO

Has there been some indication that ticket sales for Pasadena are or have been sluggish?

I would think that with the number of drum corps and drum corps fans hailing from California ticket sales would be record breaking, or very nearly so.

Hmmmm...

I do.

First, much respect to you for marching 84 Cadets. One of the first shows I saw live as a young man, and that got me hooked to march in, volunteer, and enjoy the activity.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. I do believe that the show designs of the corps are better than previous years, and the performance levels of the corps members are stronger than ever. These two items are a fantastic combination for great entertainment.

Hmmmm...

I do.

DUUUHHHHH! YOU THINK?

Where have you folks been? Mars? DCI has been playing the "build suspense, sell tickets" game for many years! Remember 1978? How many times has Phantom Regiment taken it on the chin "for the good of the activity"? Could DCI really let the Blue Devils and Sata Clara Vanguard have clear, unchallenged dominance over the rest of the field? Someone had to be a legitimate contender for the title! How about 1981 or 1984? Who could predict a winner in those years? Was 1993 really the year the best corps on the field won? Many people wanted to see Star of Indiana get beat, so DCI arranged it, with a lot of suspense! To get people to go to Jackson, Mississippi, they had to play the game! Let's take a look at the many years we had ties at the top for the title? Ties going into 1/2 finals and even FINALS? Many ties for 12th place have taken place over the years. Regional favorites have been admitted to Finals under somewhat suspect circumstances too! Bridgemen got DQ'ed, Garfield made finals as a 13th corps, and lots more happened in 1978! It all served to BUILD SUSPENSE and thusly, SELL TICKETS! I am sure that many people can give additional examples of how suspense was built during the season and during Finals week to get more people into the stadium.

DCI is a business, an ENTERTAINMENT business. DCI is smart. They will do "whatever" to get our butts into the seats, PERIOD.

The best drum corps marketing strategy is to build suspense at the local and regional shows so that the bigger regional and national shows will have bigger crouds! It is also part of the reason we have seen a HUGE jump in ticket prices since 1992!

This was not meant to be offensive, just a little funny.

Yours in drum corps,

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Hmmmm...

I do.

Are you implying collusion of some sort? B)

Hmmmm...

I do.

The reason I can't buy your theory is this:

What makes Pasadena any more important from a fiscal-end of things than any other DCI Finals? In other words, why would DCI not try to sell tickets any other year but ONLY choose to do so this year? Just because it's on the west coast is not a reason to finally say, "hey, let's make some money by fooling the people into thinking that anyone can win this year, so maybe more will show up." Judging from recent DCI Finals attendance numbers, it seems to me that if DCI were trying to sell tickets the way you seem to indicate, by some sort of conspiracy plot to make all the corps look good and be in contention, then they would have started this a long time ago. The saying "anyone on any night" or however it goes is not new. People have been using it for years.

So sorry, your comment is absolutely false!

JW

Edited by jwillis35