... and that's just the way Dreitzer, Genero, Sasso, Bunce, Pepe, et al used to teach some of the most intense horn lines that drum corps has ever known from my era ... a judge once asked Genero how he got the Hurcs to play a certain passage from Hallelujah (sp) in that stratospheric upper register ... he answered: "I never told them they couldn't" ...

:-)

Spot on Andy, therein lies a secret to the Hurricane success in those golden years....Jumpin' Joe always made us believe we were better than we were....hence, we were!

• Like 1

"Thanksgiving", when we recall the story of the original Americans sharing their food with a bunch of undocumented aliens from Europe.

Totally subjective list of things for which I am thankful:

- air

- the Vincent Bach 3-C

- the other Bachs

- the Dream

- the "stratospheric upper register" (thank you , Andy,... and Joe, and John, and Hightower , and Maynard, and Arturo...etc.)

- the Guess Who Historical Society, especially you, Nanci

Later I'll be counting how many of the old guys from Madison actually make it to the end of the parade in NY. I'd like to hear "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" (how apropos), but it's probably going to be "Jingle Bells".

• Like 2

Sometimes the best way to teach technique is to simply say, "Just make it sound like this."

Maybe BigW will remember this story from 1979. Ray Eyler is the new horn guy and he brings in Dave P to work with lower brass. Dave was known for his short cut offs, smoking while instructing and calling everyone "You Monkeys". IOW he fit in with our loose style of insanity. Going over some music and Dave wants us to play it in <something that sounded like a pasta dish to me>. The 1st Baris had music majors and future music majors who were nodding their heads. Rest of us included future IT people, a CAT scan /MRI tech and guys who worked at the Milton railyards.

So you hear:

"Hey Dave..."

"What?"

"For those of us who don't speak music, can you sing that?"

<Dave gives a look , then sings>

"Ohhhhhh, OK got it".

Might have been the same day he told us that it would be impossible to play the opening 16th note run of Kentons "Granada Smoothie" using the thumb on the rotor. He then pointed at all the thumb users (myself included) and had each one play it solo. When we all pegged it his jaw dropped open. Then we clued him in that we played it the year before and yeah it was a bugger to learn it that way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"Thanksgiving", when we recall the story of the original Americans sharing their food with a bunch of undocumented aliens from Europe.

Totally subjective list of things for which I am thankful:

- air

- the Vincent Bach 3-C

- the other Bachs

- the Dream

- the "stratospheric upper register" (thank you , Andy,... and Joe, and John, and Hightower , and Maynard, and Arturo...etc.)

- the Guess Who Historical Society, especially you, Nanci

Later I'll be counting how many of the old guys from Madison actually make it to the end of the parade in NY. I'd like to hear "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" (how apropos), but it's probably going to be "Jingle Bells".

Not particularly grateful for any of the Bach mouthpieces - play on a Schilke 51D for years.

Grateful for friends - not FB friends where you get thousands (Pepe - "Tow Zunds") Real friends.

Grateful to have met and sometimes worked with some of the all-time greats - I often feel like Forrest Gump, whose path seemed to cross every significant person of his era.

Grateful to my folks for putting me to work at 13.

Grateful to a few great teachers, from Brother Mulvihill at Chaminade who would accept nothing less than the best you could do, to John Sasso (who coincidentally was the same way) to his brother Ted, to Ernie Fesier, to Robert Gramm on trombone, to Gene Glickman from Queens College, to David Patterson at UMass Boston. I've left out a bunch.

To hundreds of great drum corps people I played and worked with.

To my kids for following their hearts without breaking mine.

To my wife Carrie for owning it.

To people who have been forgiving enough to include me in a couple of halls of fame (that I probably shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets to)

To some incredibly great corps like Sun, Hurcs, Bridgemen, Crossmen, Boston Jr and Sr, Archie Alumni, DCA, and Alumni and more that have hired me, fired me, hired me back, refired me, and mainly been good to me for an awful long time.

To Ralph Parkhill who drove me to practice and I&E shows in Oceanside.

To the people I competed against (and with) week after week at those I&E shows.

To Sasso, Delucia, and a couple of others that trusted me enough to give me those first jobs.

Like the Baseball been berry berry good to me guy on SNL, Drum Corps (and life) been berry berry good to me.

To JetBlue, which was a great place to work and to retire from.

And to this group, that seems to be the only social medium that doesn't make my head want to explode.

Happy Thanksgiving.

And to Dorritie, who does most everything better than most people, including gratitude lists, and is just that good a guy.

• Like 2

The Wynn Center Toppers were wonderful.

If I'm not mistaken, Wynn Center was the next "powerhouse" corps in the GNYC after the Queensmen and just prior to Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Raphael's ... solid corps ... we talk a lot about the PAL, CYO and Scout corps ... but, I think Wynn Center was a Boys Club corps - another vast youth org of the 50's and 60's ... after Wynn Center in the early/mid 60's came the Manhattanaires, Riversiders and Eastsiders from Manhattan ... and a slew of corps from the other bourroughs ...

• Like 1

Yup ... Rowland ... bum ... two time loser ...

66 was the first year Jr's were added to the NE Circuit ... interesting story on how the PAL wound up 2nd to the Kingsmen at night ... needs to be shared over a libation or two to fully appreciate ...

Heading out on a nine day cruise tomorrow, visiting the ABC Islands to celebrate our 42nd Anniversary ... no phones, no internet ... just sun and fun and 15 bars on board ... OH MY!!!!

See y'all online when we get back ...

Well ... we're back ... whew! ... wadda drive through the Southern states trying to stay ahead of the nor-easter ... MD was the worst on Wed ... multiple serious accidents along 95 ... and our last leg yesterday through NJ was horrendous due to Wed's mess ... but ... all is good ... safe and sound and ready for some good ol' drum corps Christmas (yes, I said Christmas and not Holiday) parties ... LET THE GOOD TIME ROLL!!!

• Like 2

Well ... we're back ... whew! ... wadda drive through the Southern states trying to stay ahead of the nor-easter ... MD was the worst on Wed ... multiple serious accidents along 95 ... and our last leg yesterday through NJ was horrendous due to Wed's mess ... but ... all is good ... safe and sound and ready for some good ol' drum corps Christmas (yes, I said Christmas and not Holiday) parties ... LET THE GOOD TIME ROLL!!!

Welcome home!.....now it's my turn...off on a seven day cruise tomorrow!

If I'm not mistaken, Wynn Center was the next "powerhouse" corps in the GNYC after the Queensmen and just prior to Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Raphael's ... solid corps ... we talk a lot about the PAL, CYO and Scout corps ... but, I think Wynn Center was a Boys Club corps - another vast youth org of the 50's and 60's ... after Wynn Center in the early/mid 60's came the Manhattanaires, Riversiders and Eastsiders from Manhattan ... and a slew of corps from the other bourroughs ...

Wynn Center was a PAL corps. Usually, the corps colors in NYC would indicate whether it was a PAL corps or not. Black and green were the predominant PAL colors here in the 5 boroughs. I believe the Scarlet Lancers from Queens were also a PAL corps, but their colors were red, black and white. There's always an exception to the rule, LOL

After reading the last post, it reminded me that Bobby Craig taught Wynn Center's drumline back in the day. If I'm correct Bob was one of the first few kids to integrate Blessed Sacriment.

Bob & I were in the same unit in Viet Nam in '67.

We would drive people crazy playing Sac's drum parts on our foot lockers. Bob had his snare sticks ( a real drummer never went to a war zone without his sticks) & my girl friend sent me over a set of the old padded tenor sticks. Back then every horn player played a little drums from time to time.

I haven't seen Bob in quite a few years. I guess he, along with many others, have moved on from the new brand of the activity.

Edited by Oldbuc

I always dug Bobby Craig's vibe. He had a great drum line in the Polish Falcons in the mid-70's, and once bested Santa Clara in the Difficulty caption.

I last saw him at the Hurricanes show about 4 years ago. He hadn't changed a bit. I can just picture him in country, playing solos on the foot locker.

By the way, thank you both for your service.

Frank Dorritie

Sgt. E-5

142nd Armour

• Like 2