Live Streaming Finals

It's about 10:45 on the west coast. As I type this I'm watching NASA's live video stream of the Curiosity landing on Mars.

Let me repeat that:

I'm watching a live stream of a space ship landing on another planet. Complete with almost instant satellite pics of the rover on Mars.

And yet DCI doesn't live stream Finals?!

Yes, I know NASA is a bit different than DCI. And yes, I'm being quite a bit facetious here in tone.

But in this day and age, we can see a live stream of absolutely incredible human history of an autonomous space vessel landing safely on Mars. Technology is awesome, and DCI has shown they can adeptly live stream shows, but they are still hesitant to make the jump and live stream Finals.

Come on, DCI: we live in an age when NASA took the risk to sent an autonomously operating space ship to Mars. I think it's time for DCI to take the risk to live stream World Class Finals. I WANT to give you more money for seeing finals live; can we work this out sometime in the insanely near future please?!

• Like 8

No, but it would cut into attendance and ticket sales.

• Like 4

This. Finals attendance is already no very good. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see finals streamed on the FN, or via fathom events in a movie theatre, however...how many thousand would stay home. I would love to see finals in the theatre w/ commentary.

Yeah, but they might make up for it by getting money from me and other fans who can't afford tickets to finals... plus travel costs... and hotel costs... and food costs etc. but could afford TFN plus a live feed.

• Like 1

I know that's the published excuse, but I'm not so sure that's how it would really be. I think the folks that want to go will still go. There's a vibe you get live that no live feed can replicate. Sure, you may loose a few spectators, but I think it would be negligible in the final attendance tally.

• Like 5

Here is my opinion (Please don't neg me for it)

Streaming finals would cut substantially into DCI's DVD sales as well as attendance numbers. And, I know this seems selfish BUT I feel that finals is a very...what is the word...sacred/historical event. I think if they do offer it live in the future, it should be LIVE only with no on-demand or playback option.

I am a high school band director and as we all know, teachers don't bring home very big paychecks. However, I save a small amount every paycheck so I can fly or drive to Indy (from Florida) every year at the end of the summer (during our band camps) to witness Finals. I know if I can do it, most anyone can. It just takes planning.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Edited by SopMaster
  • Like 1

It's about 10:45 on the west coast. As I type this I'm watching NASA's live video stream of the Curiosity landing on Mars.

Let me repeat that:

I'm watching a live stream of a space ship landing on another planet. Complete with almost instant satellite pics of the rover on Mars.

Yes, I know NASA is a bit different than DCI. And yes, I'm being quite a bit facetious here in tone.

But in this day and age, we can see a live stream of absolutely incredible human history of an autonomous space vessel landing safely on Mars. Technology is awesome, and DCI has shown they can adeptly live stream shows, but they are still hesitant to make the jump and live stream Finals.

Come on, DCI: we live in an age when NASA took the risk to sent an autonomously operating space ship to Mars. I think it's time for DCI to take the risk to live stream World Class Finals. I WANT to give you more money for seeing finals live; can we work this out sometime in the insanely near future please?!

This discussion comes up every year with the powers that be at DCI headquarters and the number one concern is it will hurt ticket sales.

Here is my opinion (Please don't neg me for it)

Streaming finals would cut substantially into DCI's DVD sales as well as attendance numbers. And, I know this seems selfish BUT I feel that finals is a very...what is the word...sacred/historical event. If you want to experience it, either go or buy the DVD.

I am a high school band director and as we all know, teachers don't bring home very big paychecks. However, I save a small amount every paycheck so I can fly or drive to Indy (from Florida) every year at the end of the summer (during our band camps) to witness Finals. I know if I can do it, most anyone can. It just takes planning.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Do you have a wife and kids? I know no matter what kind of planning I do, I can't afford everything I posted above for me, my wife, and our 3 kids and I'm sure not going to leave them behind just so I can get my fix.

And to tell anyone that the only way to view this "sacred" event is to see it live or on DVD, IMO, is very narrow-minded. I've been to finals 4 times in the 30 years I've known about finals. 3 when I was marching and the ONE time it was in CA. Would I like to go more often? Of course. I guess it just comes down to planning it out. Oh, and being able to afford it for a family of 5 living in Houston.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

Let me repeat that:

Yes. my friends and I are just going to have to settle for semis streaming :-/