What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?

Eh, I just find it fun to think about is all. This is not really a serious topic--was just trying to see the opinions of the more experienced.

Yeah, sometimes fun to compare the apples (tic system) to the oranges (today) :tounge2: At least BITD is being thought about....

Interesting as watched my 1975 DCI DVD recently and really picked out some things that were kind of cringe worthy (mainly horns sticking out), Didn't think that much of it back then but either the DVD/stereo TV (what was that back then) picked it up orI I'm more used to playing style today.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Champion shows of the past would score in the range champion’s shows score today, 96-99 point range. Scores are not in a vacuum, they are dependent on the shows around them, in down years with a stand out, front runner the champ will hit a high score (2009, 2005). In a tight year with a lot of completion at the top, scores will be held down and generally a bit lower.

I think older shows would do well today because they were cleaner, going to 150, faster drill, more dancing hornline demand means more dirt at finals, it very noticeable. And if it has to be clean to achieve, the clean corps would get points back on the demand they gave up

Over the years you notice show and judging trends, feel we must be nearing an end to this current trend even though the sheets are newish. It feels played out and corps writing to the sheets, even with all the GE push, have resulted in giving up a bit too much drum corps, pop and wow. Pop in wow currently being rewarded is more, that’s nice.

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I would probably have to agree with you about the mid to late 90s being the most comparable to today's shows, at least with the past shows not being modified. If I can ask, how do you think 90's/early 2000s shows would compete if certain modifications were made so that, let's say... instruments were of a quality at today's standards, adding electronics, etc. Basically, how would a modernized/updated Cadets 93 score against Crown 2013?

So, you're saying that if instruments were of today's standards and you added in electronics, then what impact would that have in a competition, side-by-side?

My gut tells me that the nod would still go to the modern, top-tier corps for phyisical conditioning, time commitment, practice, diet, instruction, and quality of members. What would that be worth in scoring? To put a number on it, I'd say 5 points.

Another important factor, today's social media. Practice, instruction, communication - all capable 24/7 through the internet.

So, you're saying that if instruments were of today's standards and you added in electronics, then what impact would that have in a competition, side-by-side?

My gut tells me that the nod would still go to the modern, top-tier corps for phyisical conditioning, time commitment, practice, diet, instruction, and quality of members. What would that be worth in scoring? To put a number on it, I'd say 5 points.

Another important factor, today's social media. Practice, instruction, communication - all capable 24/7 through the internet.

Are you saying the kids today don't go out for a smoke after practice? Huh.

Are you saying the kids today don't go out for a smoke after practice? Huh.

Don't forget the 6 pack....

Interesting that time commitment and practice was alos in the post you quoted. BITD more off season time was spent with the corps as more local folks were involved. Which also leads to the thread from last week about comparing talent level from BITD to today. Today have more members coming from all over the country trying out for a lot less number of spots than BITD. So harder to make a corps today which would bring up the average talent level.

If the conceit is that past shows are judged by the current sheets, then none of the 90's winners would win today. And I say that as someone who's personal Top 5 Shows Ever list includes SCV 1999 and Cadets 2000.

You can't really *mix* the sheets, because focus has shifted around so much over the years, so the real answer is that emote with the shrugging shoulders.

Don't forget the 6 pack....

BITD more off season time was spent with the corps as more local folks were involved.

Perhaps. However, when I marched, the thought of having 5-6 weekend camps wasn't on the radar. And, the physical face-to-face is compensated by social media which allows for non-stop, virtual connectivity. The term "local" has taken on a whole new meaning with today's drum corps.

Perhaps. However, when I marched, the thought of having 5-6 weekend camps wasn't on the radar. And, the physical face-to-face is compensated by social media which allows for non-stop, virtual connectivity. The term "local" has taken on a whole new meaning with today's drum corps.

Depends on the era. Actually in my time (Sr corps side) we started with one a week music rehearsals over the winter/early spring and 2 nights a week (Tues/Thurs IIRC) drill once the snow melted and we got permission to use the cities parking lots. As we got more out of town members we still had the one a week music rehearsals with bunch of missing people. And drills went to the 1 weekend a month and Friday Hell nights before we caught the bus at 1AM or crashed somewhere before driving to the Sat show. Ooops forgot to add this was 1974-1979 and 1984-1985.... and going from trying to get back on the field to trying for top 5 Finals helped bing in the non-locals big time.

How does social media help with decreased rehearsals in the pre-season? Connected a lot better, being able to play together.... huh...

And IMO there really isn't a local side to the top Jr corps anymore which was part of my point regarding corps talent.

Edited by JimF-LowBari