What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?

Everyone gets it. You scored 99 back then by playing with quality, and no one cared if you didn't play and march at the same time. Go back and watch 2002. It's stunning how little playing is done by brass on the move. Stunning.

Dude I took your advice. Rewatched it and you are right. It is stunning.

How well the show is designed, how well the hornline moves and/or plays :D, how integrated and seamless the effect points transition throughout the storyboard and the sections of the corps, from brass to guard to drums to playing to marching to drill to coreogeaphy etc...

Such a beautiful show performed so well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I get that the shtick here is to grossly oversimplify to make a point. But you all would have me believe that Cavies played nothing but whole and half notes, and anything hard was done standing still. As though they pulled a fast one on the judges and giggled behind their backs, having gotten away with it. Well, I'm not buying it. Cavies did usher in this new era of visual emphasis, but not at the expense of everything else. That's just nonsense.

• Like 2

People that want to compare Corps from different eras, run into a MAJOR problem as they want us to assume some things right from the getgo, yet we have not agreed on those assumptions to begin with when we make the comparisons.

For just one brief example of what I'm referring too, unless we agree to change the judging system of the 70's, 80's 90's from the judging system utilized here in 2014, I think its pretty much indisputable that NONE of todays top 5 Corps would place in the Top 5 in, for example, 1976, 1986, 1996.

Except the title of this thread, and the OP's first question is this...

"What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?"

Feel free to start an opposite thread.

"What do you think the champions of today would score yesteryear?"

• Like 4

I just watched Star 91 again and I am still as captivated by that show today as I was in the Cotton Bowl. I think it would hold up to top 3 or win today.

I just watched Star 91 again and I am still as captivated by that show today as I was in the Cotton Bowl. I think it would hold up to top 3 or win today.

I really don't believe it would, not because of quality, but because of expectations, as someone else skillfully mentioned earlier. It's an amazing show by an amazing group. But it just doesn't translate well enough to the modern activity to win. Star 93 would be their best bet in my opinion.

Except the title of this thread, and the OP's first question is this...

"What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?"

Well, do we have to make the assumption( for just one example of many ) that we utilize today's judging sheets ?

If we do utilize today's judging sheets, then many top Corps from earlier would likewise be penalized out of any possibility of contention. They'd be penalized for overtime ( Corps back then... depending on the " yesteryear " we have agreed to utilize... performed in competition a couple of minutes longer ). Corps would be hamstrung by their inability to keep marchers beyond age 21... by their lack of knowledge that you could utilize conventional band instruments to get a desired sound... hamstrung with their lack of knowledge that they could utilize more marchers in competition.... hamstrung by their lack of knowledge that they could shorten their shows to be evaluated in timed competition by as much as 2 minutes... hamstrung by their lack of knowledge that they'd no longer be a tick judging system in place, but instead a build up system in place to compete in.... hamstrung by the fact the soprano voices had 3 valves, and they were not using 3.... hamstrung by the fact that they did not know that crossing over the sidelines in performance no longer draws a penalty.... and dozens upon dozens of other things they had no knowledge that would now be permissable under today's judging that presumably we all here would be asking " yesteryear's Corps" to now compete under.

So here we have changes adopted and rules of instrumentation loosened every which way to Sunday the last few decades, and we are asking if those highly restricted units from BITD could favorably compete with todays Corps who designed a show for today's judging system , and under much more permissable rules than what BITD Corps in DCI had at that time ? What a ludicrous scenario to ask this of us. The fact of the matter is, Corps designed shows to compete with "the weaponry" of competition, and the rules of engagement allowed and agreed to at that time, and no other time. As such, unless we change the judging system and the agreed too rules, the undeniably simple fact of the matter is, neither the Corps of " yesteryear " could favorably compete today, nor could the Corps of today be able to favorably compete in the " yesteryear ", either, as the judging systems and the agreed too rules of engagement in place at either of these times would have effectively destroyed any chance either era's Corps.. with their shows as designed... had of successfully competing for a Title.

Edited by BRASSO

INT would wind up somewhere right in the middle of the pack in competition in any competition era, imo.

I can't help but believe that this is their permanently slotted position forever.

Edited by BRASSO

INT would wind up somewhere right in the middle of the pack in competition in any competition era, imo.

I can't help but believe that this is their permanently slotted position forever.

What's up with them performing three times at regionals? You would think people would get bored of their show after viewing it three times in one day.