Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

I think the superb level of execution and quality of the arrangements lifts this show to the sharp end of DCI shows in my 40 years of enjoying drum corps.

• Like 4

Definitely not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, this was a great show. But nowhere near the level of BD 94 or even BD 2000. It wasn't in the great level of SCV 89, or Cavies 02 or Cadets 05 in my opinion.

I really like this show by BD, but am surprised how many people talk about how much more accessible they find this show. I don't really see any difference between this show, and most of what they have put out since 2008. That is not a bad thing, as I have enjoyed all of these shows, probably more than the average person from the comments I have seen on these boards. I have felt they got the raw end of the deal in 08, as the only other corps that year in their league of show design and performance was Cavaliers, and to get beat by such a weak show that year was kind of a shame. I don't know that they shouldn't have gotten 2nd, but definitely not the way it happened. But so many things about 14 are so similar to what they have done the past 6 seasons. Musical arrangements are similar, moving of props is similar, drill is similar, drill is similar, staging is similar.

BD 14 was a very well designed show. I didn't agree with the 99.65 by any means, and thought Cadets probably should have taken guard, Crown probably should have taken horns, and percusiion from BD probably should have gotten 3rd or 4th. General Effect probably should have gone to Bluecoats. The funny thing is even though BD won with the highest score ever, I think more people are going to remember Coats show from this year.

• Like 3

We all know the story of this year. Blue Devils sweep the year, setting a record with a 99.65 on finals night. What I want to know is if this show, this year, is memorable enough to be compared with the all time great, classic drum corps shows. ????

Not in my book. Nothing after 2000 qualifies.

I believe that to evaluate any year, we need to let the dust settle before we draw conclusions. However, I think that when you consider that we had four shows behind Blue Devils: Bluecoats, Cadets, SCV, and Crown, and each had shows that could possibly have won in other years, and even with these excellent shows Blue a Devils still dominated the season, it's safe to predict it will be an all time great. Also in its favor is the fact this was not a typical Blue Devils show in that it had popular appeal and an appeal to the judges. Cadets had this in 1983, Madison had this in 1988, SCV in 89, Star in 1991, Crown in 2013, Cavies in many years, BD in 1976 and 1994 (yes I know they had it other years but these two are considered by most classic), and my thought is Felliniesque will join that group.

You are forgetting what most I know think is Classic BD 82 and 86. Just saying.

Definitely not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, this was a great show. But nowhere near the level of BD 94 or even BD 2000. It wasn't in the great level of SCV 89, or Cavies 02 or Cadets 05 in my opinion.

I really like this show by BD, but am surprised how many people talk about how much more accessible they find this show. I don't really see any difference between this show, and most of what they have put out since 2008. That is not a bad thing, as I have enjoyed all of these shows, probably more than the average person from the comments I have seen on these boards. I have felt they got the raw end of the deal in 08, as the only other corps that year in their league of show design and performance was Cavaliers, and to get beat by such a weak show that year was kind of a shame. I don't know that they shouldn't have gotten 2nd, but definitely not the way it happened. But so many things about 14 are so similar to what they have done the past 6 seasons. Musical arrangements are similar, moving of props is similar, drill is similar, drill is similar, staging is similar.

BD 14 was a very well designed show. I didn't agree with the 99.65 by any means, and thought Cadets probably should have taken guard, Crown probably should have taken horns, and percusiion from BD probably should have gotten 3rd or 4th. General Effect probably should have gone to Bluecoats. The funny thing is even though BD won with the highest score ever, I think more people are going to remember Coats show from this year.

I totally disagree, but your comments suggesting BD should not have even won one caption is a bit laughable.

• Like 1

Speaking only for myself, absolutely. It's already there for me, settled dust or not. Simply a fabulous all around production in a year of VERY good shows. Loved it!

• Like 1

I know it's only been two weeks, but I can't imagine this show ever entering the "rarified air" of shows like Cadets 83, Star 93, BD 94, etc.

More than anything, I think it was probably the finest example of a program matching the sheets in DCI history, combined with a great performance.

• Like 6

We all know the story of this year. Blue Devils sweep the year, setting a record with a 99.65 on finals night. What I want to know is if this show, this year, is memorable enough to be compared with the all time great, classic drum corps shows. ????

Yes. They went undefeated, and on Finals Nite they had an unprecedented point spread gap with those behind. Competitively, the 2014 Blue Devils have to be ranked right up there with some of the other all time great Drum Corps. Their 2014 BD Corps can be even be considered in the conversation for perhaps the best competitive single season DCI Drum Corps ever, imo. As for classic " entertainment " value, this is a personal determination question. Perhaps later, DCI will ask national fans where they would rank the 2014 BD in the all time classic entertainment category. Only then, will we have a sense of where national Drum Corps fans ( stiil involved in following DCI ) want to place this year's BD version.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Of course, The Blue Devils are one of the best drum corps in the world, and have been since the 70's.

• Like 1