Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

One quick question for the folks around here. Is the tambourine feature judged under guard or percussion? Could be an ingenious way to design a guard feature without it being on the guard sheets.

It falls under percussion, guard, ensemble visual, performance visual, and effect.

Edited by Kamarag

It falls under percussion, guard, ensemble visual, performance visual, and effect.

They had enough 'thick' precision in those tambourine hits alone to throw those captions down a small peg :-)

They had enough 'thick' precision in those tambourine hits alone to throw those captions down a small peg :-)

Why does the sound of "thick" precision and tambourines sound like something I don't want to know about?

• Like 1

BITD of the early discussions of judging at the Rules Congresses when DCI was in its formative (previous administration) years, the discussion matter was whether each member of the corps could be given a set of finger cymbals to play and whether they would be judged by the percussion judge or the GE judge, etc. The common logic then was that the member playing such an instrument would be judged by the judge whose section usually encompassed a cymbal (for instance, when Garfield Cadets girl guard played the bugles for two seasons, they were judged not by the guard judge but by the horn judge..which is why the move was made after the final gun went off.) The kicker in the early years was that once that member played an instrument they would be judged by all judges through out the show, not just their section judge at the moment..

Today I am not sanguine that the same logic would avail particularly since today's GE judges are now "wholistic" and not "parochial.".

Edited by xandandl

So even though they did no guard work, and played percussion instruments, they were judged under the guard caption?

So even though they did no guard work, and played percussion instruments, they were judged under the guard caption?

Did no guard work? Most of what they did with the tambourines was visual/dance. The fact that they made noise made it fall under percussion also. There was actually a BD video where Scott Johnson (or someone) talked about them using fake tambourines and having a single mic'd player in the pit for the audio (presumably to fix any percussion scoring impact), but they decided not to. Good choice. It is much cooler knowing they are actually playing them and not just using them as "props".

I liked 2013 far better than 2014. '86 is their top show. Mucho amor and respect for their B corps this year, however.

I thought Bluecoats had a far more memorable and innovative show.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 2

Did no guard work? Most of what they did with the tambourines was visual/dance. The fact that they made noise made it fall under percussion also.

You know what I mean. If Devs could come out one of these years and perform their entire show without flags, rifles, or sabers; they probably would. Do the whole thing with dance work, on an even bigger scale than SCV did in 09. They move so well, it seems like Chandler writes guard work because it's in the book. Would like to see someone break the mold, and Devs would be the corps to do it.

Regarding BD color guard/tambourines: I saw it as a guard move and figured it fell under the category of guard. However, if it got screwed up and altered the sound, my guess would be it would have hurt the percussion and music captions, and with the more subjective judging we have today, my guess is that is how it would work. Done correctly it helps guard, messed up it hurts percussion.

Edited by Tim K

If Devs could come out one of these years and perform their entire show without flags, rifles, or sabers; they probably would..

I'm not really sure where you get this. The only dance they did in this show was during the ballad and, I suppose, the girls sitting around the table during the snare feature. The rest of the time, they were using equipment...flags, rifles, sabres, streamers, tambourines, etc. Much like the rest of their visual style, they don't pound you over the head with any one of these. They show an extensive variety of styles and equipment. It is one of the main reasons they have won the guard caption for the last 150 years (or something close to that).