A THOUGHT

Why isn't this thread on the DCA forum?

As BK might say...... " Because ".

Good question.... where would a fan base for $$$$$ tickets be anymore? Hate to say it but........

honestly? Eastern PA/NJ/Annapolis

Does anyone have attendance records for the last ten years? or five even?

I'm curious to see what DCA had each year from year to year.

And what they supplemented with the fan networks broadcast purchases.

DCA has never that I know of released attendance figures. I've heard some from people that would know, and even heard rumors that the online viewing package for finals weekend was very well purchased....like possibly numbers DCI would have been happy with ( lower than DCI, but still impressive)

Kingston Grenadiers are from Ontario, not New York. But the two Rochester corps (and Brigadiers) gave previous Rochester shows more of a local presence.

Meanwhile, DCA held finals in Annapolis with no such local corps presence within decades. General impression is that attendance there was better.

easier drive to major markets

who is in charge of numbers? anyone know where to get the stats for the last ten championships? and the sales of the fan network broadcast?

could it be where Rochester is located due to diminished attendees? or that the city needs pressure washed? I'm sure there's lots of reasons. But without getting the numbers from finals attendance in each of the places it's been, there's no real way to tell the trend with each year, or location.

There's also only 21 corps competing. (no i'm not counting mini corps... sorry) If every corps (had they been a full corps for their class) members had two attendees for their performance we could estimate 4800 people attending the weekend to buy tickets. i'm sure that's high because you need to take a few out for volunteers, etc etc.

But... 4800. Does anyone think that 4800 people were in the stands for finals?

paid?

• Like 2

Yes...I guess that might point to Annapolis itself being more of a draw than Rochester. Also to ponder is the net benefit to the corps...if Rochester is as cheap as stated, maybe even some fewer in attendance results in greater return to DCA and the member corps than Annapolis when costs are figured in.

That is possible.

Given the choice, I would prefer to see DCA make their money organically from an engaged fan base, rather than from a limited-term deal with a championship host city. I felt the same way about DCI and Indianapolis. Fortunately, DCI improved attendance at other major events to compensate (at least partially) for sagging attendance at championships. Could DCA do the same? Have they already? Does anyone have a feel for whether DCA has grown audiences at other shows in 2014 or 2015?

Guess I should have expanded my fan base question more. My thought is BITD the ticket price for Prelims and/or Finals was pretty cheap so got more local fans paying to get in. Yeah those days are gone forever for reasons no one can control. So I'm thinking does DCA really get a lot of local (aka walk up) non-corps butts in the seats for the price of the tickets? Sure there are some but really not a causal fan unless that casual fan has deep pockets.

So maybe the answer to make the most money for the corps DCA Weekend is not looking at ticket income but lower operating costs for the events.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

paid?

no. there's no way that was 4800 paid tickets. But I don't want to count people who marched in corps that didn't make finals, or freebies for volunteers of the corps.

no. there's no way that was 4800 paid tickets. But I don't want to count people who marched in corps that didn't make finals, or freebies for volunteers of the corps.

Members of any and all corps who do not make finals, pay for admission to finals if they plan to attend. Tickets are purchased by each organization for their respective members (performing, volunteers or otherwise).

This is probably a topic for another thread....

But I wonder if we are going to see a day when it doesn't matter how many fans are actually at a drum corps show... in particular a championship event... but instead, the bottom line will be driven almost entirely by how many streaming video packages, and ads, are sold.

What made me think of this.... I've read over the years than ESPN owns several college bowl games. I'm a big college football fan, and watch as many bowl games as I can... and honestly, in terms of live attendance at some of the games, including several of those owned by ESPN... well... you could fire a cannon across parts of the seating area and not hit anyone. LOL. But revenue is generated through TV viewership and the resulting advertising sales.

I know college football and drum corps are two different animals.... one with a huge nationwide reach, the other serving, at best, a niche market....but I gotta wonder where we're heading in terms of actual fans in the seats and the importance of those attendance numbers, in DCA and DCI.

Of course, that might suck for the corps, playing to mostly empty stadiums while most folks watch from home.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1