Booing and the Cadets

what about finals week changes? They still make those, you know.

And can somebody confirm this for me?

The Constitution protects your right to free speech from infringement by the government, right?

My 5th Grade teacher, Mrs. Campbell, was fond of telling us wiley 5th graders, "your right to swing your arm wildly in a circle ends where my nose begins."

I don't know what that means or anything.. but it seemed relevant.

Stef

Your right to free speech is protected under The Constitution, Stef not only from overreaching government, but also from other people trying to silence you. That right to free speech is not unlimited. One can not scream " FIRE" !! in a crowded move theatre when you know that there is no fire present. The right to boo in an outdoor stadium would be protected under the free speech doctrine. Yelling obscenities at a Corps would not.

Some of this is tricky however. Last month, the wife of Yankee baseball player, Alex Rodrigues wore a t shirt to a home game at Yankee stadium that said on the back of the t shirt what Yankee fans can do that were booing and heckling her husband. The statement on the t shirt mentioned what a person can do re intercourse when there is noone else around but just yourself. ( t shirt said " go......yourself" ). A fan that sat directly in back with his family thought the t shirt was obscene and asked the usher to remove her. Since this was a billionaire ball player's wife who played for the home team, his request was essentially ignored. That said, this would be an example where the freedom of speech of the spectator in back should have taken precedence over the the person wearing the obscene t shirt and expressing their " free speech " in that t shirt.

Edited by X DM

You all say the crowd had a total lack of class, but what about your dearest friend George Hopkins? His little temper tantrum on the 50 was pure class? LMFAO GIVE ME A BREAK! It was the worst display of class from any given corps director ever. He is the #1 representative of his organization and he just blew it.

He who has no class, doesn't deserve it back.

I feel sorry for the kids having to see that. Makes you wonder what type of life lessons are being learned within the organization? My only guess is that if you have a hissy fit in front of tens of thousands of people you get your own way?

Here is my take on the whole Cadets fiasco.

Im not a big fan of booing but Hopkins is creating drum corps into something that the fans (for the most part) don't want it to be.

Hopkins is just going to drag us down the road into electronics and woodwinds if we the fans let him.This show is a turning point for Hopkins.If wins a championship there will be no stopping.But if he comes up short,,add in that the fans booed HIM off the field at finals,,then I think that sends a clear message that the drum corps community will not stand for it.

I use to be a huge Cadets fan but no more.I love the sound their brass is laying down but I cannot get past the irritating narration.

and

"we'll bring the hash" :laugh::rock::doh:

You all say the crowd had a total lack of class, but what about your dearest friend George Hopkins?

That's no excuse for the booing in the stands.

His little temper tantrum on the 50 was pure class? LMFAO GIVE ME A BREAK! It was the worst display of class from any given corps director ever.

Really? Worse than Phantom's director flipping off the judges when their score was announced back in the early 90's.....on TV?

He is the #1 representative of his organization and he just blew it.

Still not an excuse for many in the stands to act like complete idiots.

He who has no class, doesn't deserve it back.

So what do you propose. We take a few classless idiots from the stands, have them go toe-to-toe with Hoppy, and see who can argue the loudest and longest. Come on.

What Hopkins did is one thing. That is no excuse for the classless idiots in the stands. Zip, zilch, nada. No excuse.

Plain, simple, to the point.

ANYONE who boos, laughs at, jeers, or jokes about a corps within earshot of the kids, their parents, or other fans trying to enjoy their experience at championships is a classless loser. You are entitled to your opinions about any corps' performance, their staff, their program etc. BUT to do it in the crowd and in a manner that's makes it audible or obvious to performers is grounds for dismissal from finals. Get a life. <**> <**> <**>

I don't really like the Cadets show, but come on...booing? I don't even like booing at sporting events. If you don't like the way a corps is going, write to the director.

Hopkins is just going to drag us down the road into electronics and woodwinds if we the fans let him.

Wow, you give him a lot of credit. Do you think he can do this alone? What about the other directors, I suppose you think their votes dont count. :laugh:

Lesson of the day- Just because someone has a keyboard and access to the internet doesn't mean they know what they're talking about and that is no more evident than here on DCP.

Edited by IRMO

I’m not sure I even have a strong opinion with regard to what happened last night, but I am most shocked with the number of people on here actually attempting to justify their right to boo a drum corps. Better yet, the passion with which some are attempting to fight for this right makes me feel like I am reading a debate about the right to bear arms or have an abortion. This is drum corps for God’s sake and not a moral issue that should invoke such hatred. Whether or not the performers are kids, young adults, or mature adults should have no influence on one’s choice to act in a truly distasteful manner. Have you or will you instill these morals in your children? If so, I am sure they too will grow up to be maladapted to many social and business environments. <**>

Those of you who want to attempt to justify your actions as an inherent right, continue to exercise that right, but in doing so, please look into the mirror, reflect on the ugliness of your actions and, most important, recognize the joke is on you. Your actions merely validate your immaturity and lack of respect for others (not to mention they make you look like a fool.) I often read on here that if one doesn’t like comments, don’t read the topic. In this regard, if The Cadets or George Hopkins disgust you that much (enough to provoke embarrassingly immature actions), what the he## are you even doing in the stands for their show? Tune it out or go to the refreshment or souvie stands.

I’m always amazed at how grown adults can sometimes check their manners at the stadium entrance. It’s truly pathetic.

I think it would be helpful in the discussion to recognize the inalienable RIGHT to boo, but at the same time that it is a very poor choice indeed to exercise that RIGHT to boo a Drum Corps. Some of us who are diligent about protecting one's freedom of speech rights from intrusive acts of censorship also have an obligation to point out how rude it is to boo a Drum Corps. That said, lets not confuse the issue and say people do not have a RIGHT to boo. They most certainly do, so long as this is in an outddoor stadium venue and in a competitive event such as Drum Corps.

Edited by X DM

Im not a big fan of booing but Hopkins is creating drum corps into something that the fans (for the most part) don't want it to be.

.... Enough with this argument already.

Hopkins is not ruining drum corps. You could argue he's ruining the Cadets themselves, but not drum corps as a whole. Simply put, he does not have the power. He is not the Alpha and Omega of DCI. He alone cannot merely wish a change in the activity. He is not a sorcerer. He is not a wizard.

Come back with this argument when Hopkins usurps the Directorship of the United Division I Corps and is seen drinking the blood of the newly deceased members of DCI's Board of Directors.