Your Theater Experience

Just to put this out there for those who lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender. It is extremely disrespectful to bash a corps and or person for not wearing "gender specific" clothes. If your way too close minded/homophobic and don't want to see "crossdressers" as you call it don't ever leave your house. There are all kinds of people who march in corps nowadays and they express themselves however they want off and sometimes on the field. There is no reason for you to not wanna write a review on corps x or dislike corps x's show because of your oppressive conservative outlook. its not 1950 anymore. people have the freedom to wear whatever they want.

While I greatly disagree with this attitude, I support this person's right to express it here.

But I noticed it wasn't a reply, only a post. Doesn't that mean it was directed at me, too?

Huh? But...wait...

On what basis do you believe...?

(puts thread back on track. The theater, people, the theater, OK?)

• Like 1

I'll leave the reviews of the Corps performances to the others on this thread. But kudos to ALL the Corps for putting up with the heat and the wind. You should be proud of your efforts, especially this early in the season!!!

We watched the show at Regal Perimeter Point 10 in north Atlanta after the theater where we had tickets (Merchants Walk Stadium Cinemas in Marietta, GA) had tech problems. Apparently, they had a power outage downloading the live feed on Sunday and couldn't get a re-feed. Travel time was about 20 minutes, but we made it in time.

The theater was mostly full--not good at judging crowd sizes, but maybe 200+. Of course, the other theater was sending folks to this one.

Picture was good and sound was OK. Sound could have been a bit louder, but it was much better than the last DCI movie I saw (fan favorites a year or so ago?).

Cavies upside-down tenors got a great crowd response. An even bigger (positive) response was when Saturday's scores were posted. There seemed to be a large number of Crown fans there. There were also the expected groans when Sunday's scores were announced.

That's all for now.

Okay, we sat in the same theater together and watched the same broadcast. For the record, I've been a visual designer AND horn arranger on and off since 1985.

We'll agree to disagree about BD's "top 3" visual package. We will agree that it's staged well and it is winterguard in its approach. Transitions are good and for the most part, BD ihas the best marchers/movers out there. However, the drill design doesn't do 2 things: 1)It doesn't generate effect. It's a backdrop for a winterguard show. Welcome to the world of Jay Murphy and Scott Chandler. 2) It's not on the same level as many of the other top tier corps. Sorry, my opinion.

As for your definition of GE - It's not that simple. We have taken this activity to the edge of obscurity because of our esoteric BS definition of Effect. Effect CAN be generated by those things you listed that it's not....if programmed correctly. There are things in a show that meet your criteria of "How and DOES it work together" that are not effect. We have to step away from the precipice of taking ourselves too seriously before there is no drum corps activity anymore.

I've worked with Michael Cesario and Scott Koter (Programming coordinator for Cavies) and the one thing that both agree in is that we have to bring more entertaining (to the masses) shows to the field. Does that mean we all break out into "We Will Rock You" and do a mosh pit. Dear Lord, I hope not! We're in a tough business.

Don't get me wrong, I think that effect is any thing that gets to an audience. They don't always have to clap for it and scream like babies. A smart programming job will have both the "clap here dummies" moments as well as those moments that the crowd lets out a collective sigh.

We will agree that Bluecoats can change their vocal and get as much effect, and they won't tick off some mommy and daddy who've brought their 7 year old to their first corps show. Now as far as the guard unis..........Who knows, the 7 year old might really dig it, which could really put mommy and daddy over the edge!

Yeah, we're totally going to disagree.

I have no problem with BD's design being, BD. I also don't see winterguard as negative... I hate it when musical arrangements get chopped to bits to make it happen though. So my BD issue is on the music side OR the coordinators side for not going music first.. . Yes Scott C, I know. This years BD seems much more true to original and melodic, that's why I believe it is taking more time to get their show together, they know a football field is larger then a basketball court and to make their style happen is a feet. So, I've agreed with BD dominating GE Vis for the past few seasons, not GE Music though.

Also there is plenty of effect going on. Your eye goes exactly to where they want it to go to. The transitions are well planed and work. There is clarity, there is difficulty... I'm sorry but they are the only ones I saw halted in echelons that where designed to "look right up them" from the box. They use more technique then just marching, and it works! Flow, pacing, etc, etc ...

Is a fast Gaines move effective? You betcha, he's one of the best for a reason but not all "effective" drill has to involve geometric shapes with perfect numbers. It also doesn't have to be line manipulation at 200 bpm. The trend with us Drum Corps fans is to think "That's the style I like the best and everything else is not effective". If we go that road visually, we will have copy cat, cookie cutter visual designs. Last night, I saw 8 unique designs.

NOW... the kicker is to make GE one caption. I would be for that and believe it would bring a change to the way we design shows.

For the record, I'm more of a "Zingali, Sully, Sactig" style writer when I'm allowed to "just write". I only get to do that for one band in our state, and they are small (but beat a BOA GN Semifinalist in their state this past season).

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1

Just to put this out there for those who lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender. It is extremely disrespectful to bash a corps and or person for not wearing "gender specific" clothes. If your way too close minded/homophobic and don't want to see "crossdressers" as you call it don't ever leave your house. There are all kinds of people who march in corps nowadays and they express themselves however they want off and sometimes on the field. There is no reason for you to not wanna write a review on corps x or dislike corps x's show because of your oppressive conservative outlook. its not 1950 anymore. people have the freedom to wear whatever they want.

what... did someone pee in your cereal?

People are obviously free to wear what they want. And other people are obviously free to discuss their clothing choices. This is how it works.

ps: "your" and "you're" are different words; you should employ the use of both of them, when appropriate.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the Cavaliers and Crown shows. I predict a Cavaliers championship this year. The rest of the shows were ok except for the two California corps -- I didn't care for the Blue Devils or SCV shows. I thought both the picture quality and sound were sub par in the theater. I was hoping for HD quality. Vic Russell

Could it be that only 100 people on this massive board actually went to the show?

And have something to say about it?

No, we just haven't all posted and I figured most of y'all wouldn't care to read what I have to say about it. Anywho, in Greenville SC we had 200+ folk. Great crowd response for Cadets and Caveliers, even bigger response for Crown. Same type of technical issues that everyone else seems to have experianced.

I found the trivia questions at the begining interesting, especially the one that asked "which corps performed at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics" because I had spotted the composer for the 1996 Olympic music in the audiance. And while standing in line someone approached us and gave us a free ticket - thats the third time in a row that we have gotton free tickets to a DCI event.

There were 50-75 people at the show in Tupelo MS, which was a lot more than I was expecting. Most seemed to be from the local high school. A theater manager came in right before the show started and told us about the audio missing after intermission, which I appreciated.

The highlight for the crowd here was the Cavaliers' tenors playing upside down (the high school kids loved that). There was also an audible gasp in the theater over Crown's placement for the second show.

The same manager said they hope to do the August cinecast as well, which I hope happens.

what... did someone pee in your cereal?

People are obviously free to wear what they want. And other people are obviously free to discuss their clothing choices. This is how it works.

ps: "your" and "you're" are different words; you should employ the use of both of them, when appropriate.

...and insulting someone's grammar is tacky at best, BTW.